308 win 165 grain and RL 15

fwood

Beginner
Jul 15, 2011
I am working up a load for 308 win . I am out of Varget and am using RL15 which looks very similar in performance. The question is, Noslers reloading manual specifies 44g of RL15 as a max load for 165g bullets. I am shooting well with that load, However I am shooting it out of an 18 inch, barrel and would like to get a little better than 2490fps out of it. I see Alliant powder says 47g of RL15 as a max load for 165g bullets, and many out there using 45g+, do any of you have any input on this subject. Shooting it out of an AR10. I would like to stick with RL15 as I have 8lb's.

Jon

I am loading 44.5 in my Remington Tactical, with 150's. The loading manuals are usually conservative, but also their data is usually tested with bolt rifles.

I've happily used more RL-15 than 44 gr with 165/168 gr bullets - but I'm using a 24" Remington, not an AR-10. I don't have any experience loading for the AR-10.

Thanks for the reply’s I’ll tinker with it a bit. Any input on the 308 and RL15 is welcome. I may just be asking more than this setup can deliver. It is however fun to bang away with a 308 but a touch spendy

Jon

Ya, in the AR platform I deliberately stayed with the 223/5.56 for several reasons, one being the low cost of shooting.

I always used R15 in the 308 with 150s. I used WW760/mag primer with the 165. This was way back in early 80s, so I don't remember the load, sorry. Having said that, R15 is wonderful. Just keep going up very slowly until you either find the speed you want ( of course, within the set specs) and/or reliability. I am so OCD on reliability I never loaded for even a 223 AR. I "tried" a AK47 type in .308....jammomatic. I don't know how "dirty" R15 is going to make your Stoner Design, but hey, try it! I know in a bolt/levergun, R15/308 is as wonderful as Varget, for hunting, I never shot competition.

This is my go-to load, using a bolt gun Remington 700 with Hart barrel. 45.5 RL-15 with Nosler 150g BT...

Attachments

• IMG_0997.JPG
    IMG_0997.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,375
Well, that is an excellent group. However, you did miss the dime (as all the cranks will note). Nothing wrong with that load. It will hunt, for sure.

Ya, lar383, that's one heck of a group - and an outstanding example of how accurate Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets can be.

That's why they're usually my choice for hunting deer sized critters.

Regards, Guy

Guy, absolutely correct with the low cost of shooting. The only reason I load the .223 is to shoot the 65 grain Sierra Spitzer boat tails. Excellent hunting bullet and reasonably priced!.

If you'll jump back & forth between what Nosler publishes for the 308 Win (24" brl) and the 7.62x51 Nato (18" brl) you can do a little extrapolation and see that around 43.0 gr of RL-15 should get you about 2600 fps.

Thanks again for the input, I am still tinkering with it. I tried 43, 44, grains of rl15 and get decent groups. I need to order some 165 BT's and give them a try. 165 grain accubonds were like a shotgun blast. 165 grain Hornady sst''s shoot about 1.2 moa and 42.8 grains with a 180 grain Partition shoot about .9 moa. I haven run any over the trap in a while but velocity is slow with the 18 inch barrel. However it is still fun.

Thanks again for the input, I am still tinkering with it. I tried 43, 44, grains of rl15 and get decent groups. I need to order some 165 BT's and give them a try. 165 grain accubonds were like a shotgun blast. 165 grain Hornady sst''s shoot about 1.2 moa, and 42.8 grains with a 180 grain Partition shoot about .9 moa. I haven run any over the trap in a while but velocity is slow with the 18 inch barrel. However it is still fun.

New to this forum. I have loaded for the 308 165 grain for years. It is super accurate in my two Remington model 600's with 18" barrels. I loaded 165 grain Remington CoreLocks for years until they were no longer available. I then switched to Hornady 165 grain Interlock Boat Tails. The best load for both guns and both bullets was 45 grains RL 15 givng me 2635 FPS with CoreLocks and 2650 with the Hornady Interlocks. Both give me 1MOA accuracy. One 600 has a 2.5x8-36 Leupold VariX III and the other a Nikon Prostaff 3x9-40 BDC. Would post pics of 2 targets but cannot figure how to do it! The pics are on my desktop

Check Speer Data online....goes up to 47 gr, 2800+ fps. I shoot 46.5 gr in a 20" Model Seven for 2730 fps.

In my Bergara Ridge 308 Win
180gr AB or BT
Reloader 15 @ 43.2 - 43.5
WW Brass with Fed 210M primers

The old obsolete M118LR with RL 15 and 175MK was 45.0 in military LC brass with CCI 34 primers before Fed received the military contract. It was too hot for M14 sniper rifles and when they reduced the loads temp sensitivity in Afghanistan different altitudes. ATK won the contract FC adopted their long proven Gold Medal recipe with IMR 4064 and is used today.
RL 15 I have notice for me performs very well close to max charge in 308 Win very similar too Norma 203B powder.

Last edited:
When I’ve built an AR-10 an adjustable gas block is a must in my opinion. Top end 308 Win loads will beat the action apart in an AR platform Without one. It’s an open gas recoil system in most cases. If it’s a piston recoil system the piston can be tuned………adjustable gas blocks are much cheaper however.

You want to be able to adjust the recoil gas pressure to eject your spent case to a 3 o’clock position from the shooter. If it ejects the case forward of the weapon you can increase pressure either with a heavier powder charge or by opening the gas block to increase pressure to the BCG. If the case ejects behind you, you are over gassed. Either reduce the load or close the gas block a little to reduce gas pressure to the BCG.

The adjustable gas block will allow you to lower the BCG gas pressure so your not beating your upper receiver, BCG, and buffer to death when your getting to top loads. The adjustable gas block gives more room to find the charge your particular rifle shoots best, and removes the heavy mechanical stress higher pressure loads exert on the moving parts. You tune it to hold more pressure in the barrel instead of sending it down the gas tube breaking the bolt carrier group 2” from your cheek, eye, and brain.

I am working up a load for 308 win . I am out of Varget and am using RL15 which looks very similar in performance. The question is, Noslers reloading manual specifies 44g of RL15 as a max load for 165g bullets. I am shooting well with that load, However I am shooting it out of an 18 inch, barrel and would like to get a little better than 2490fps out of it. I see Alliant powder says 47g of RL15 as a max load for 165g bullets, and many out there using 45g+, do any of you have any input on this subject. Shooting it out of an AR10. I would like to stick with RL15 as I have 8lb's.

Jon
I would not try to hot rod a AR-10 with hot loads
Keep it at Federal Gold medal match levels to preserve your rifle. RL 15 is a excellent powder very similar to Norma 203B . 44.0 is my load also but have shot up to 46.0 with good results in Bolt gun with 165gr Flat Base in WW brass.

IMR 4064 @ 42.8 - 43.4 with 168 MK for target
LC brass and Fed 210m

Last edited:
Back