.325 WSM/ 220gr. Sierra SBT GameKing...

wildgene

Handloader
Jul 4, 2011
...MV of 2800fps/ range 230yds., bullet entered thru the 4th rib on the near side, passed thru the 2nd rib & broke thru the humerus on the offside front quarter, retained weight 154grs. (70%)...

Attachments

• carterdeadelk.jpg
    368 KB · Views: 2,697
  • firstcow2010.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 2,689
Gene, very awesome! I have been waiting for the danged 325 guys to start populating this! That bullet looks excellent for the amount of bone and penetration it has done. Great pictures. Thank you. Scotty

This was our go-to bullet in the 8mm Rem Mag. We never once caught one in either deer or elk despite taking several of each. The 8mm's have always gotten a bad rap in our country but they bring down game just like everything else! Thanks for sharing!

That's good intel FJ. I have a sweetheart of a 325. Only messed with 180 and 200 grain Noslers. One of these days I need to break it out and try the 220 Sierra's. We had an old fella on here at one time that really liked how well the 325 with 220's planted elk.

That's good intel FJ. I have a sweetheart of a 325. Only messed with 180 and 200 grain Noslers. One of these days I need to break it out and try the 220 Sierra's. We had an old fella on here at one time that really liked how well the 325 with 220's planted elk.
I think there is even a box of them on the shelf at the LGS right now. New old stock.

Part of me wishes I would've held on to my 8mm Rem Mag because it was a darn good round. Brass and bullet availability was the main reason we jumped ship. A hundred rounds of brass would've probably lasted me my lifetime.

Yeah if you have a .325, I would not hesitate to use the 220 GKs in it. They were specifically designed for the 8mm Rem Mag since all of the other bullets of the day featured a relatively thin jacket and were designed for 8x57mm Mauser velocities. The 220 GK has a much thicker jacket.

I need to add that to my to do list. Bet they shoot like crazy too. I like a few of them Sierra GKs. The 200 shoots amazing in my 300 H&H. I’ll bet they’re excellent on elk.

I think there is even a box of them on the shelf at the LGS right now. New old stock.

Part of me wishes I would've held on to my 8mm Rem Mag because it was a darn good round. Brass and bullet availability was the main reason we jumped ship. A hundred rounds of brass would've probably lasted me my lifetime.

Yeah if you have a .325, I would not hesitate to use the 220 GKs in it. They were specifically designed for the 8mm Rem Mag since all of the other bullets of the day featured a relatively thin jacket and were designed for 8x57mm Mauser velocities. The 220 GK has a much thicker jacket.
I worked up loads with the 220 grain Sierra GK in my 325 WSM, though I settled on the 200 grain PT in the final analysis. That load dropped every elk, WT, mule deer, moose, black bear I encountered. I have no doubt that the 220 grain GK would have done the same. I haven't worked up a load in my 8X68 with that particular bullet, but perhaps I should.

That is nice!! Those BACO M70's are nice rifles. If I was to find one in .325, it would probably follow me home. Is brass somewhat easy to find? Seems like that .325 was kind of a flash in the pan which is silly because it should've been much more popular than it was. I always thought a .358 or .366(9.3) WSM would also eventually be introduced.

Dad has a Model 70 Classic made in 2002 that was one of the last out of New Haven in .300 WSM. That's what I am borrowing to try the Corelokt Tipped this year for my cow elk tag. Hoping I can keep it on a permanent loan basis!

Last edited:
That is nice!! Those BACO M70's are nice rifles. If I was to find one in .325, it would probably follow me home. Is brass somewhat easy to find? Seems like that .325 was kind of a flash in the pan which is silly because I should've been much more popular than it was. I always thought a .358 or .366(9.3) WSM would eventually be introduced.

Dad has a Model 70 Classic made in 2002 that was one of the last out of New Haven in .300 WSM. That's what I am borrowing to try the Corelokt Tipped this year for my cow elk tag. Hoping I can keep it on a permanent loan basis!
Dale, if you happen to run across those 220's grab me a few boxes. If not, no worries either.

That 325 is a great shooter though, just been messing with 180 BT's in it, but it sure doesn't hate them.

Dale, if you happen to run across those 220's grab me a few boxes. If not, no worries either.

That 325 is a great shooter though, just been messing with 180 BT's in it, but it sure doesn't hate them.

Dang there is nothing about that to not like!!

If I find you some I will send them along my friend!

Whatever happened to wildgene that started this thread? I always liked reading his posts. Looks like he hasn't posted since 2018.

Thanks buddy. Appreciate it. I’d imagine those 220 Sierras would be hard on elk.
They always did well from my 8mm Rem Mag. Sierra claims they designed that bullet especially for the 8mm Rem Mag. They should be a perfect elk bullet in your .325!

Whatever happened to wildgene that started this thread? I always liked reading his posts. Looks like he hasn't posted since 2018.
Not sure, but him and Mike were the ones that coaxed me into a 325.

What type of powder you using? I've owned 3 325's and never could get one to shoot very well. Tried multiple loads and at best i'd get was 1.5-2" groups.

Back