.327 fedral

yellow dog

Beginner
Sep 17, 2012
looking for the skinny, need to get my wife a little more pistol but here .38 sp kicks to much.

she's been packing her 9mm but would prefer a revolver

any thoughts

Yellow dog, load those 38spl with some 148gr mid range wad cutters and it will be very mild and easy to shoot, kick less than that 9mm she is shooting.

I have loaded up light for her, she was shooting some jugs of water and was lees then impressed.

im not sure what to do. the .327 is hard to find bullets for. I bought one last year that I just I forgot about in the safe that I wasn't going to keep. I have dies for it some where and about 100 pieces of brass.

just not sure that's what is best.

YD,
You can shoot 32 H and R Magnum in a 327. You can also shoot 32 longs in it. Either of those calm it down, the 32 longs a bunch. Neither of those is at the level the 327 is. The 85 gr in the 327 is still loud but not as much jump to it. SP101 pistol?
Try the 32 Longs. Turns it into feeling like a 22 Mag.

YD,
You can shoot 32 H and R Magnum in a 327. You can also shoot 32 longs in it. Either of those calm it down, the 32 longs a bunch. Neither of those is at the level the 327 is. The 85 gr in the 327 is still loud but not as much jump to it. SP101 pistol?

I just went and bought some, Yes Sp101,

she likes the gun so we will see. How does the .32 measure up for self defense.

It's less energy than a 380.
I think factory is around 700 fps
Usually a lead round nose in factory loads
Great to practice with though
You could always shoot 32 for practice and 327 for defense
If you REALLY need it for defense, similar to a hunting shot, she won't notice the recoil. For self-defense I also like loud guns if that makes sense?

I have used the 32 S&W Long for NRA bullseye competition and it can be a very accurate round with little recoil from a semi auto pistol and I also have a Colt snub nose that is chambered for it and load a 90gr HBWC with the nose inverted so the hollow base is exposed. Soft lead bullet will open up to 1/2" diameter in soft tissue and ruin your day quick. A Semi wad cutter which is the normal load for the .32 S&W was the original police issue back in the day since the pistols were small and they carried them in a pocket and not a holster hence the name pocket pistol came about.
Let her practice with the S&W load and keep it loaded with the 327 for self defense.
Oh and just remember a well placed .22 Lr will ruin your day real quick and has probably killed more people than most of the larger calibers in a hand gun.

I've got a very old S&W snub nosed 'I' Frame in .32 Long.... very manageable recoil for anyone. Out of a heavier SP101, recoil would be a non issue.

I'd love to have a .327 Fed. I always thought they were a good idea...using the Longs like a .38SP in a .357 would be the way to go with one.

My wife carries a Taurus 85 ultra light 38spcl with crimson trace grips. I load Hornady 140gr XTP's for it. They shoot very well, with little recoil. I'm not worried about losing any penetration with the lighter loads. 99% of bad guys aren't going to stay and fight it out after getting hit with anything.

So we went out to day and banged around with the .327 loaded with .32s. She loved it and had a blast she shot 50 in no time.

I think ill reload these for practice and keep her speed loaders full of the .327 like was suggested.

On a side note this little pistol is accurate as hell. I shot it with some reloaded old gold dots.

I glued a quarters to a board that we shoot at and hit 3 from 25 yds. with 3 shots.

I wont tell you if those three shot where in succession or not

I don't think you would even have to hit a bad guy, this thing will knock out with sound. If some one attacks you and the police are looking for them, just tell to look for the one with bleeding ears.

Excellent. There you go. The 32s change the whole deal for her. Good.
They are an exceptionally accurate smaller pistol. FWIW, Ruger quit making them for a while and recently brought them back out. Look at the energy on those 327s. They leave 38 specials in the dust.
Told you the darn thing is loud. :lol:
I did almost the exact same thing with my wife. Stuck some 32s in it and let her shoot. Then had her shoot the 32 H an R s in it. Then stuck in a couple of the 85 grain 327s. Big difference.
I also do what SE mentioned. I load some lead 130 gr in 38 spec and have her shoot them in my Model 28. She is just accurate as can be with both pistols loaded down and she has fun, which cannot be overrated. :grin:

Dwh7271":1mujzu0e said:
YD,

Good advice right there!

JD338

I have a S&W Model 331 Scandium Airweight in .32 H&R Mag. I run mine with 12.0 grains of LilGun at 1200 fps with the Hornady 85 gr JHP and small pistol mag primer. You can load them down to about 950 fps and they still sting with little recoil.

I've always thought that a lever gun like the Marlin 1894 chambered in .327FED would be a fun gun, and very useful as well for pest control and such. I'm betting a typical load would top 2000 fps in a carbine barrel.

Perhaps a custom barrel on a Contender.

My little .32 Long shoots reasonably well for a 2" barrel and I've shot some target models and they just drive tacks. In a rifle...it'd be pretty groovy.

Back