338 06 and ????? Projectile

I'm hoping to get 2800 fps out of this load, that's what I got with 200gn etips

i have a load for 200gr accubonds but also a load with the 165 barnes,I would think if you can get barnes cheaper than nosler may be worth investigating

I have an Ackley version and am having some good indications from 210 Swift Sirocco over Re-17. That said, if it doesn't settle down into a dependable load, then it's back to 210 NPT or 200 NAB over Re-15.

Poz":3rrtf2um said:
Yes, in Australia, and no it's called predictive text! :grin: at 20ish dollars a box i wouldn't even be asking a question but at 90 its a bit different. I thought about going lighter and faster but i think the energy advantages over flat trajectory are better. I won't take a shot at a distance I haven't at least confirmed poi at the range, ie if I've shot 300 yards then a 300-350 shot I'd be comfortable with but 400 would be a no go. I just don't trust ballistic charts enough to assume the consistency will be right.

Over here the Woodleighs are $63 a box, plus shipping.

I would seriously try the lighter Barnes bullets for your type of game in the 338-06.
Reloader 17 would be a great powder to start with.

185gr Barnes works well on moose out of 338 federal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are $44 a box here , i got the accubonds for $75 with a bit of searching, as previously said i rate the accubonds super high after seeing their performance in Africa from both my 30 06 and Guys 35 Whelan. At 2800 fps they should be about 24 inches low at 450 if the ballistic tables are right. At that distance I should have plenty of time to range and calculate holdover for a solid hit, if I can stop shaking long enough!

Ended up shooting a hind for meat. Used the woodlieghs at 150 yards she never took a step.

Nice, congratulations. Looking back on the thread were they the 200's?

Yes from the sound of it? I think in that cartridge the 200-210 gr. bullets work the best, I used the Barnes 210 XLC's back in the day, and the 210 NPT. I would have thought the Woodleigh's would have been perfect for the job too.

Yes they were the 200s woodleigh design them for the 338 federal and 338 06 in 180s and 200s. The 225s would be good but they are designed for magnums so I was concerned they would be too hard. I ended up with a load running them at 2820fps

I use the same bullet/powder combo as Fremont. That is the 210gr Scirocco with RL17. Very fast, very accurate and deadly on game performance with very high weight retention. The load I have settled on has that bullet shooting within just over an inch of my 270 out to 500 yds. I didn't have this 338-06AI made to shoot long range but just wanted to show it's capable if need be.

I use 225gr AB's and TTSX's on my 338-06AI. A medium/hot load to fire-form brass with H414 powder. Shoots great groups for fire forming rounds. Reloads for the AI formed brass shoots a bit faster but really no improvements in tighter groups. Love this rifle.

Back