.338 chamberings

Greg Nolan

Handloader
Nov 25, 2004
Since I got a .375 R.U.M. I've really been bitten with the velocity bug. My .338 Win. mag seems a bit less awsome and I'd like to re-chamber for something faster in my Savage 116. Do any of you know of a cartridge that has more power that would work thrue my action. I like the R.U.M. but I think it's way too long. Does Nosler have any suggestions. Also I don't want to spend more than a new rifle would cost.

Greg,

For what you will spend on a new barrel, action work etc. why don't you just buy a new rifle. I would highly recomend a M700LSS in 338RUM. (if you can still get one).
Mine shoots Nosler 210 gr PT ~3200 fps, 225 gr PT ~ 3100 fps, and 250 gr PT ~2950 fps, all under .5 MOA.
With a Leupold VXIII 2.5X8 the rifle weighs 8lb 13 oz. I added a Pachmyer Decelerator recoil pad so the recoil isn't that bad.

I will be happy to help yoou with loading data if you decide on a 338 RUM.

BTW, I sent yoou a PM a couple months back but for some reason, my system saves them to my outgoing mail and I can't send them.

My question was pertaining to a comment you made about 225 gr PTs were just ok on Elk. Do you get complete penetration on ELlk sized game?

Best Regards,

JD338

I agree with JD sell the 116 and use the money you would have spent on a new barrel and buy a new rifle. This opens up more possibilities on rifle types.

Brad

I took your advice JD338 and I'm trying to purchace a Rem 700SS in .338 R.U.M. Unfortunately it's not a 700LSS but like you said they are hard to find now. I've been looking hard because I have the 700LSS in .375R.U.M. Very few rifles with a 26 in. barrel balance like that. It actually makes the gun feel lighter. Anyway if I get the rifle I'm after I'll let you know and compare notes with you. Thanks for your help. :)

Greg,

Glad to help. Let me know when you are ready, I will give you my load data for the 338 RUM.

Its too bad that Remington discontinued the LSS. Its a very nice looking rifle. I wish now that I would have bought a second one.

Regards,

JD338

If you do want to rebarrel, the .330Dakota is your cart. It is basically a short .338RUM. You can expect 200fps gain over the .338wm.

I actually have a 116 that was rechambered from 338WM to 330 Dakota and absolutlely love it. The brass and dies are not cheap but well worth it for the performance gain.

Greg,
What kind of velocities are you getting in your 338 Win that make it less awesome?

Mine, in a 24" bbl is pushing a 250 gr bullet 2800 very accurately and a new, to me, lot of RL-22 bumped than to 2930fps which was a bit frightening but there were no pressure problems :) That's about what a RUM will push that bullet. I wouldn't rechamber w/o pushing it a bit jsut to see, but that's just me.

Greg Nolan":1l6goi0x said:
I took your advice JD338 and I'm trying to purchace a Rem 700SS in .338 R.U.M.

Try www.gandermountain.com they have guns that are out of production stashed thoughout their US stores.

I went through hell to find my SAKO 75 300 RUM SS/Synthetic. Called them and 10 minutes later I get a call telling me they had 6 of them across the US in different stores. 2 days later they brought one to Thorton Colorado for no charge at all....plus clearance price, plus 10% off military price!!!!

Thanks POP
I chrony'd my 225gr. A/Bs and found 2730fps. I bumped it up a little and got 2800 out of my 22 in. savage with built in muzzle break but I'm at the pressure limit. I'll try Gander mountain.

Back