338 Fed update

Gunner46

Handloader
Jan 12, 2015
I've been posting on the Reload section about this little project, so I thought I'd toss in the latest update here.

Everything for load development has been bought... is on-hand, or on the way. Initially, I'm going to start with 200gr Speer Hot Core's, with RL-15, Varget, then try LVR. 200 AB's after I find the pressure threshold for accuracy vs. volocity.

The rifle is a Ruger American Wolf, 308. Right now, I have a spare Bushnell 3X9X45 on it, but plan on replacing it with a Leupold 2X7X33 before actually hunting with it.

I've already talked to JES about doing the rebore and all is in place. Just wanted to get past my Wyoming Lope hunt and the holidays, before I spent to much more $$$ on it. (even thought I'm still sneakin' a couple bucks every now & then into the coffee can (y) )

Definitely going to be ready for a fall '16 Bull/Bear/Boar hunt....somewhere. May the Tag God's bless the future !

Skookum cartridge. I thoroughly enjoy my 338 Fed. It has accounted for at least one moose, which it handled with aplomb. No doubt you will love the cartridge.

Two guys in our hunting party uses 338 Fed ( a Tikka T3 and my Hawkeye SS) with the 185TSX factory load on elk/mule deer with great results. I haven't shot any game with mine. I just started playing with loads in it last spring/summer. My time restraints had me try Power pro 2000MR (which was just awesome in a 308!) with the 160TTSX, got 2700fps but really compressed. I researched a bit and found that 52gr of TAC was common amongst other guys using the 160TTSX also. I did and got a tad over 3000fps from it! wow! 7mm mag country! ha. I also had tried the 2000MR behind the Speer 200, but couldn't get enough in the case to make it worthwhile. I am trying TAC with it next. I may never kill anything with it as I just can't seem to stop using my 35 Whelen AI, ha, but it is a good, solid killer with little meat damage! Good luck Pard.

Question: I have the option of either 3,4, or 5 grooves to be cut into the barrel during the process. There's only a $25 dollar difference between the three, so that part is moot at this point in the game.

What are the pro/cons of the extra grooves & what would y'all recommend? I've never really had to think about it until now.

I had the same plan with a Rem 700 308 and JES. Change my mind on the 338 Fed and going with the 338-284 Win.

Very cool, cannot wait to see what you come up with Gunner. I have a 3 groove in my 35 Newton. Shoots well.

I just noticed that Federal has a new .338 185gr Fussion bullet out, at least in 338FED ammo in their MR_ (something) line. So there is two bullets designed specificaly for the 338 FED the 185gr & 200gr Fussion.

I went with a 3-groove in my 221REM. Seems to shoot fine thou its new and I have not had time to work with it.

Pac-Nor recommended a 3 Groove when I was looking at a barrel. I don't recall the reasoning, but if that is what the maker recommends, it can't be bad!

If JES would take a credit card, it would be a done deal already. Just a couple more pay checks (already did the time) and off it goes ! I found a local shop that had 3 cans of LVR and snatched one. Can't wait to get the re-bore done, so I can start the reload sessions.

Back