Bergara B14 Hunter 300WM (and overall update)

preacher

Handloader
Aug 19, 2012
I had recently bought another B14 in 300WM ( oh yeah sold my other couple years ago, dumb) anyhow for an update.

The former B14 shot the 175 LRX to 3080 with 73gr R23 very well. I wanted to try to get to 3200 with this new rifle. Before firing it, I took it straight to a gunsmith, had him install a TT special (set on 1#) and skim bed the action. Cleaned it all up, with the bore clean to bare metal. I put my reliable 3.5x10x40 leupold on it. Upon getting the rifle home, I torqued the action screws to 55 Inch-pounds. I then mopped the bore super wet with EezOx and let dry overnight.
Next day went to the range. I ran a dry patch through the bore and zeroed with those 110Vmax loads I had from 2019. EezOx patched between shots for 3. Then I patched it alot, and used a bore brush/patch with EezOx to really scrub. Shot 3 fouling shots with some 130TTSX I had. Then one dry brushing. From then on, no more wet patches.
I started with four shots each of Ramshot Magnum 85, 86 and 87grains. New RWS cases, Fed 215. Didn't chrono but took one-two minutes between shots. It was cold, around 28 deg. Waited about 15 minutes between groups. No sticky bolt lifts nor weird looking primers. ( some say it doesn't matter, I still look for it! ha_) 85 was a nice, rounded .75" group. 86 was about .60 average but had vertical stinging. Ahhh, but 87 was a tight, .56", rounded group! Sheboygin!!! I love it!!! I feel the extra bedding, light trigger and bore conditioning is very worth doing! I try it with every rifle now. (Well, pretty much) I didn't add bedding or new trigger to the last Cascade I tried in 6.5 PRC, but did do the bore conditioning. It was a solid 1 1/2 to 1 3/4" hunting rifle. I just wanted more accuracy from the PRC round. Sold it.
My Mod 70 Featherweight is being rebarreled at present. I'm having a #2 Shilen SS, 9" twist 7x57 made up at 24". It will have a Rifle Basics Trigger, pillar bedding and new 2.5x8. I will also "break it in" as above. It will be my midpower rifle. I have a Mod 7 Predator .243 being pillar bedded, TT Special, cleaned well at smiths right now. As I get older, I always seem to "justify" a new rifle! ha I am "tempted" right now to get an old Springfield Sporter rebored to 338/06 by JES to replace the heavy and hard kicking Mod 77/338WM I sent down the road! Sore shoulder syndrome, ha.
So, what with my only Grandson's suicide back in April, I have been pretty silent. Took awhile but me and spouse are doing "OK", just wasn't ghosting you guys! Thanks for the prayers, Rev Jim

Last edited:
Jim, Good to see you posting again. As I said previously, I'm grieved with you at the suicide of your grandson. Those who loved the young man are undoubtedly devastated and compelled to question themselves constantly. You are in my prayers this day. Stand strong.

Thanks guys, it has been surreal for sure. I appreciate the kind words. Most folks think "hey your a Preacher, this stuff shouldn't bother you". Well, they are wrong, ha. I does.

Anyhow, I wanted to clarify what I meant by "brushing"...I don't use a bare brush. I have a nylon brush but I always wrap a patch around it. Wet or dry, just never see the need for a bare brushing, ha. :)

Last edited:
Preacher- God to see you here and having some success with your new rifle. Prayers for you and your family- so sorry for the loss. CL

My condolences, Rev Jim.

Welcome back, I will keep you and your family in my prayers as well.

This was with the first Bergara with the 175LRX over R23. It was about 87 degrees then, phew!

I have a Bergara Ridge in 300 WM and 308 Win.
Very happy with them ! Probably one of the best factory triggers I have ever used and I really like No 5 barrel weight ! This is what the Rem 700 should have been !

I had recently bought another B14 in 300WM ( oh yeah sold my other couple years ago, dumb) anyhow for an update.

The former B14 shot the 175 LRX to 3080 with 73gr R23 very well. I wanted to try to get to 3200 with this new rifle. Before firing it, I took it straight to a gunsmith, had him install a TT special (set on 1#) and skim bed the action. Cleaned it all up, with the bore clean to bare metal. I put my reliable 3.5x10x40 leupold on it. Upon getting the rifle home, I torqued the action screws to 55 Inch-pounds. I then mopped the bore super wet with EezOx and let dry overnight.
Next day went to the range. I ran a dry patch through the bore and zeroed with those 110Vmax loads I had from 2019. EezOx patched between shots for 3. Then I patched it alot, and used a bore brush/patch with EezOx to really scrub. Shot 3 fouling shots with some 130TTSX I had. Then one dry brushing. From then on, no more wet patches.
I started with four shots each of Ramshot Magnum 85, 86 and 87grains. New RWS cases, Fed 215. Didn't chrono but took one-two minutes between shots. It was cold, around 28 deg. Waited about 15 minutes between groups. No sticky bolt lifts nor weird looking primers. ( some say it doesn't matter, I still look for it! ha_) 85 was a nice, rounded .75" group. 86 was about .60 average but had vertical stinging. Ahhh, but 87 was a tight, .56", rounded group! Sheboygin!!! I love it!!! I feel the extra bedding, light trigger and bore conditioning is very worth doing! I try it with every rifle now. (Well, pretty much) I didn't add bedding or new trigger to the last Cascade I tried in 6.5 PRC, but did do the bore conditioning. It was a solid 1 1/2 to 1 3/4" hunting rifle. I just wanted more accuracy from the PRC round. Sold it.
My Mod 70 Featherweight is being rebarreled at present. I'm having a #2 Shilen SS, 9" twist 7x57 made up at 24". It will have a Rifle Basics Trigger, pillar bedding and new 2.5x8. I will also "break it in" as above. It will be my midpower rifle. I have a Mod 7 Predator .243 being pillar bedded, TT Special, cleaned well at smiths right now. As I get older, I always seem to "justify" a new rifle! ha I am "tempted" right now to get an old Springfield Sporter rebored to 338/06 by JES to replace the heavy and hard kicking Mod 77/338WM I sent down the road! Sore shoulder syndrome, ha.
So, what with my only Grandson's suicide back in April, I have been pretty silent. Took awhile but me and spouse are doing "OK", just wasn't ghosting you guys! Thanks for the prayers, Rev Jim
Not a good story !

Back