338 Federal

bob_dobalina

Handloader
Oct 6, 2009
I've gotten pretty interested in looking at rifle suppressors recently and was searching for a good elk capable caliber that I could run with a real short barrel and still be efficient. My search brought me to the 338 Federal. This looks like a pretty neat cartridge. I've always shot 308 caliber rifles but never at 308 rifle and this is just a necked up 308 obviously.

Do any manufacturers even chamber them today? I'm a sako and Tikka guy I wish they still did.
Anyone own one?

I was also thinking with the popularity of suppressors these days it would be a good time for Ruger to make another run at the RCM rifles and package them with threaded barrels

Savage is the only manufacturer that has factory rifles in 338 Federal, a short barreled Scout and the Bear Hunter

Ruger also makes a 338 Federal. I bought one 2 years ago, very impressive round. Very accurate rifle. I’ve contemplated rebarreling a M700 in this caliber as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a left handed Tikka in 338 Federal that I am setting up my stepfather with, a rebarreled Winchester Model 88 in 338 Federal and am currently rebarreling a LH Sako 85 Finnlight II to 338 Federal with a carbon fibre barrel.

If you look around, you can find used Sako's and Tikka's in 338 Federal, as well as Savage's and Ruger's (Hawkeye's and No.1's). If you look around enough, you may also locate a Ruger 338 RCM. It does come with an extra price in felt recoil in a short, handy rifle.

The 338 Federal is a great cartridge that I am having fun with!
I also have a 338-06 and a 38 Win Mag. Just love the 338 cal!

If you find, or build one, you will enjoy it!
Good luck in your quest!

You darned guys[emoji3]. I’ve been pondering a .338 Federal for years. It all started when our local hardware started carrying ammo. He ordered a bunch of random stuff. He’s not a gun guy. Hell, everyone in Alaska has a .338, so why not? Well, he just saw the .338 part. Sooo...he’s had a case of .338 Fed for about 5 years. Told me the other day I could have it. I do a lot of work for the guy so he’ll get even with me[emoji1]. Ok ok, long story. Ordered the .330/.338 10 twist barrel tonight from the X-Caliber site. 20% off Veterans Day sale. So I guess it’s Manson for a reamer or rent one...first world problems. Haha.

HaHa, that's one really good way to get into a new rifle "free" ammo!

Bob, the 338 Federal is a neat little round I'm sure you would be happy with it. Like my 358 Win it would just shine with 180 and 200 gr bullets. The 338 Federal would be a nice little thumper with mild recoil, it would be perfect low recoil heavy game round.

I just found a ruger frontier in a local classified add. Going to check it out tomorrow. Should be a handy little 338 fed scout. I’m just hoping there is enough barrel diameter to thread for my supressor.

I would think a 338 Federal loaded up with a 210 gr PT would be a fantastic combo for anything you would want to hunt.

JD338

1ef90ceb1cb5b6a41c8faaae7ce2d243.jpg

I am a sucker for these scouts!

Thebear_78":236iaz8e said:
1ef90ceb1cb5b6a41c8faaae7ce2d243.jpg

I am a sucker for these scouts!

That’s nice! I suspect the little bit more weight that glulam stock provides is welcomed in the package.

It’s actually surprisingly light. It is a very compact little rifle. I haven’t put it on a scale but I’m guessing 6.5-6.75 pounds and very compact.

gerry":3s4dokoi said:
Gil, dibs on that LH Tikka 338 Federal ;)

Sorry Gerry!
Les shot the Tikka while we were out were out hunting at Pink Mtn on Thanksgiving weekend, and he loved it! Had a huge smile on his face after shooting it! he's just trying to figure out what scope he wants to put on it, as I am keeping the Z3 3-10x42 that is currently on it.
Gets to stay in the family this way!

Haha got to try ;) Such a nice little thumper and being a Tikka it almost certainly shoots great!

Don't overlook doing a rebore. I was hot for a 338/08 way back B4 Desert Shield/Storm, but it meant a custom job. When Federal introduced it as a legitimate round I went searching for one. Dind't like the Savage, Ruger was a bit $$$ for my savings account, at the time, so I was in limbo for a bit. I'd thought about doing a rebore on my Rem 600 .308, but felt that it would a sacrilege to desecrate a classic. Then...I ran across a limited distribution model of the Ruger American in 308. $289 NIB !!! TA-DA !!! I found my host. Sent it JES and $250, 2 weeks later I had nice light weight dealer of death. Mounted with a Leupold 2X7X32 it weights in at just 7lbs. LOVE IT.

gerry":2sti89if said:
Haha got to try ;) Such a nice little thumper and being a Tikka it almost certainly shoots great!

According to the gentleman I purchased the rifle from, it will shoot the 180 gr AB ammo and loads into 1/2" groups (had a target to show). I haven't tried that ammo yet, but have finally laid my hands on some.
I did try the 200 gr Fusion ammo and it shoots about 1 1/2" groups, which will work just fine for Les for moose hunting at the ranges he is comfortable with shooting (less than 200 yards).
I have also found some of the Federal 200 gr Uni-Cor ammo to try in it and see if performs any better.

I am using the Federal 210 gr PT ammo in my M88; it will produce 1" groups and slightly better, when I do my part (still learning the trigger break on it). This rifle is dedicated for thick brush hunting. I have a picatinny rail on it, with the Leupold 1.75-6 in QRW rings, and I have a ghost ring rear sight I can install quickly on the rail, should I need a back up.

My goal for the new LH Sako 85 Finnlight II will be the 200 gr AB for all around use. Hoping for 2600-2650 fps. Zeroed for 200 yards, assuming the faster velocity, it should be carrying over 2200 fps and ft-lbs of energy there, and still have roughly 2050 fps and and 1900 ft-lbs of energy with 9" of drop at 300 yards, and 1850 fps and 1550 ft-lbs of energy at 400 yards with approx. 26.5" of drop. Will definitely work on the big game I hunt, in the environments I hunt, at the shooting ranges I hunt within!
If it does not like the 200 gr AB, I will be trying the 210 AB or 215 SGK. To date, I have not had a rifle that would not shoot thee AB well, so my hopes are high!
I have ordered the Leupold VX5HD 2-10x42 with Firedot reticle for it, and it has now arrived. Also have the Alumina flip caps for it.
The light contour carbon fibre barrel was finally at customs a couple of weeks ago, so should be at the gunsmith soon! Looking to finish it at 22", but will check balance at 24" first. There will be no threads or muzzle brake on this rifle; just a clean capped crown.

Gunner46":3ecqlxvt said:
Don't overlook doing a rebore. I was hot for a 338/08 way back B4 Desert Shield/Storm, but it meant a custom job. When Federal introduced it as a legitimate round I went searching for one. Dind't like the Savage, Ruger was a bit $$$ for my savings account, at the time, so I was in limbo for a bit. I'd thought about doing a rebore on my Rem 600 .308, but felt that it would a sacrilege to desecrate a classic. Then...I ran across a limited distribution model of the Ruger American in 308. $289 NIB !!! TA-DA !!! I found my host. Sent it JES and $250, 2 weeks later I had nice light weight dealer of death. Mounted with a Leupold 2X7X32 it weights in at just 7lbs. LOVE IT.

Sounds like you found yourself a real gem!
Go forth and deal! LOL

It is a pretty handsome setup. I couldn’t pass on it after seeing it. It was a very fair price too. I need to figure out the best way to get my supressor on it, the barrel contour is too small to thread 5/8x24.

Back