338 Win Mag

I have a 338WM that has so far killed every animal it’s been pointed at. Moose, brown bear, black tail deer, elk, and a coyote. I carry factory 250gr Remington Corelokts. The bear took another step. Nothing else has.

gbflyer":3cfhd2bi said:
I have a 338WM that has so far killed every animal it’s been pointed at. Moose, brown bear, black tail deer, elk, and a coyote. I carry factory 250gr Remington Corelokts. The bear took another step. Nothing else has.
That bullet is very underrated !

I just picked up a 1989 Ruger 77 tang safety 338 Win Mag the other day.I made up a few loads for it to kinda get a feel for the rifle.I loaded up some 200gr Accubonds for the test loads.The rifle looked almost brand new,trigger was horrible at around 6-7lbs,which I adjusted down to around 3lbs or so.Stock was unmolested,so I left as is.I had heard that some of the barrels were bad during that time period.Bore scoping the barrel revealed it hadn't been shot much,no erosion at all,but the bore had numerous tool marks and about 1"-2" down the barrel it looked horribly pitted.I'm really not sure it is rust pits though,it's all the way around the barrel.It's ugly.I really felt disappointed after I bore scoped it and didn't expect it to shoot too well.Anyway I was surprised the rifle does shoot fairly well.I checked the velocities with my Magnetospeed.I had loaded 70.0grs of Big Game-3056fps.With Accurate 4350,72.0grs-3008fps,73.0grs-3054fps.All three loads shot just under an inch at a 100yds.I had two of the Big Game loads left and shot them at 200yds and they were 1" apart.Just goes to show you you cannot tell how well a barrel will shoot by looking at it.Here is some bore photos.

Attachments

• ruger 338.jpg
    ruger 338.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 773
  • ruger 338 7.jpg
    ruger 338 7.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 773
  • ruger 338 6.jpg
    ruger 338 6.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 773
  • ruger 338 5.jpg
    ruger 338 5.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 773
  • ruger 338 4.jpg
    ruger 338 4.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 773
  • ruger 338 3.jpg
    ruger 338 3.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 773
Those Tubb's bullets will certainly smooth things up if you so desire. I have been a happy customer for the past two rifles that had rougher bores than I cared for and have turned into excellent shooting rifles and don't seem to care how much you shoot them either.

Good luck with the big Ruger. Seems like it's pretty danged good.

I've used Tubb's bullets on a few rifles before with great results.I wonder if bore coating would help.I shot the rifle sixteen times.Apparently all the copper had been removed when I received it.You can tell the rough spots are eating the copper.The previous pictures didn't show any,but now it does.The bottom picture is before I shot the rifle.

Attachments

• ruger 338 2.jpg
    ruger 338 2.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 709
  • ru6.jpg
    ru6.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 709
  • ru11.jpg
    ru11.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 709
  • ru12.jpg
    ru12.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 709
  • ru3.jpg
    ru3.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 709
  • ru2.jpg
    ru2.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 709
Just me being me, I’d run it with a full treatment of the bullets, cleaning it between each 10, after they’re all shot I’d bore coat it. I’m betting it’ll be just fine. I’d may be just fine as it is now, but if I did it I’d just run the full gamut and never have to wonder if I did enough. Just the way my brain thinks.

I ran all fifty on a rifle and shot this group at 200yds after.I just need to shoot it some more to get a good feel on how well it shoots.I was surprised,the recoil wasn't bad at all on the 338 Win Mag.The thin red pad was kinda hard,but it didn't bother me at all.

Attachments

• 200YD%20GROUP%20002_zpsvncgz85d.JPG
    200YD%20GROUP%20002_zpsvncgz85d.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 241
That’s pretty danged nice.

Going to take my 06 out tonight and see if it’s going to keep working like it has been. I’m very happy with how it turned out. Saved that old girls life.

flyingagg":3sg2r5d7 said:
TXbaldhunter
Thats great shooting but in the picture it says 300WM not 338WM
You are correct.We were discussing the use of Tubb's Final Finish bullets that might help with the rough bore on my 338 Win Mag.

Now I get it. Thanks for the explanation.
That 300 WM sure shoots well. What kind of grouping did it have before the tubbs

I had read mixed reviews about Tubb's and was debating about using it in a 60 year old rifle that still shoots less than 0.5, but it has one small pitting in barrel. Your results are amazing. Thanks for sharing.

flyingagg":1benn41z said:
I had read mixed reviews about Tubb's and was debating about using it in a 60 year old rifle that still shoots less than 0.5, but it has one small pitting in barrel. Your results are amazing. Thanks for sharing.
If it shoots that well,leave it be.

TXbaldhunter":2iq08tze said:
flyingagg":2iq08tze said:
If it shoots that well,leave it be.

Yes, if you’re happy with it and 1/2” shooting would make most of us happy, leave it be.

Barsness does an abbreviated Tubbs shoot with just a few bullets to smooth out a scorched throat, but if a gun is shooting a consistent 1/2” I can’t see monkeying with it.

Back