338 winchester & reloder 26

Nothing to add about the powder, but I do crimp all my hunting loads. I've proven it enough times to myself that my ammo is more consistent that way. I understand the arguments against it but my experience differs. Especially considering the conditions hunting ammo may have to endure.

Silent Sam":3tnbjlnl said:
Nothing to add about the powder, but I do crimp all my hunting loads. I've proven it enough times to myself that my ammo is more consistent that way. I understand the arguments against it but my experience differs. Especially considering the conditions hunting ammo may have to endure.

I forgot to mention that. All ammo was crimped with the Lee FCD.

NWBlacktail":3nip2xen said:
Yeah, I think RL 26 is just too slow for the 338 winnie. Plus, I'd be weary of the QL predictions for RL26, I think the default burn rate for that powder needs to be calibrated.

RL 19 and the various 4350 powders would be just about perfect. Maybe 4831.

I have a friend who shoots a lot of 338 WinMag, and also did searching on the caliber, as I will be loading it for my shooting partner. RL19 comes out as the #1 powder for the 338 WinMag. I would agree that the RL26 is just too slow.

Load recommendation from my friend was 68-70 gr of H 4350 or 72 gr RL19 shooting the Barnes 225.

Had some decent luck this evening with RL26 and the 225 Partitions. I'll load a handful up and try them again. Plenty of accuracy for me and the 338..

I loaded up a couple more to see if it repeats. If it's in the same ballpark I'm calling it done.

There isn't anything I wouldn't hunt in North America with that load.

preacher":s38jjiz2 said:
Did you use that FCD on that 225 Nosler load Scott?

No, I sure didn't. Didn't see enough difference using a crimp to matter with the 338. Tried it both ways and didn't see anything FPS r consistency wise.

SJB358":3tpqg64i said:
preacher":3tpqg64i said:
Did you use that FCD on that 225 Nosler load Scott?

No, I sure didn't. Didn't see enough difference using a crimp to matter with the 338. Tried it both ways and didn't see anything FPS r consistency wise.

I've used a Lee FCD on multiple occasions. The only difference I can tell is the brass mouth has a crimp on it after the shot.

I use a lot of compressed loads, and it sure helps anchor the bullet from "mission creep", ha. I think you guys are just using some sissy loads and need to add a couple tablespoons!!!! :twisted: :roll: Just kidding, just kiddin! I do use a really hard crimp though, I want a lot of bullet pull. I don't worry about bullet deformation, even with cup n core as I don't shoot long range ( for me that's over 375yds) but I've never had a penetration problem with up close on heavy game.
Just for grins...only on the monobullets....crimp a few rounds really hard and check them.

Back