338WM 225gr Fusion Recovery

CatskillCrawler

Handloader
Jul 30, 2011
Excuse the cellphone quality and maglite lighting.

This bullet entered a 2.5 yr old male WT's throat head-on, just under the chin, just as it climbed to the apex of a small hill. Shot was 45 yds from a Ruger M77. It traveled thru the spine in the neck and then plowed alongside the spine for another 26" and was found under the hide on the back.

Photo0554.jpg

Photo0546.jpg

Photo0549.jpg

Photo0551.jpg

This same load went thru a large cow elk at 130yds (broadside, ribs, double lung shot) and left a 2-3" exit hole. Cow ran for 225yds with a large doormat-size splatter trail at every bound spot before piling up.

Pretty good performance. You certainly demanded a lot of that bullet, and it performed admirably.

Man, those are without a doubt the Speer Deep Curls! Wow, what a bullet. That looks excellent and seems to have held up REALLY well. Man, it seems like they have done their homework with them. Thanks for posting the pictures. Those are great to see.

What is the advertised Muzzle Velocity of them? Scotty

MV = 2800fps

We were poking fun at the owner before the hunt about using the 338WM on the poor lil Pa deer. It worked out great though because we were able to recover this bullet. I just wish I had a caliper and scale at the camp.

I have been recommending these bullets to other hunters at work whenever they ask for a bullet to use based upon price, the bonding process used, and the accuracy and low SD we've noticed while shooting them at the range. This bullet raked that spine the entire journey thru this buck after blowing up the spine in the neck and still looked this good. No broken petals, significant lead retention and the petals are pushed back further then the base of the bullet which you can see in the one pic. I think it performed magnificently.

/pray to the reloading gods that the Deep Curl will be made in .358 225gr.

I try to stay away from posting graphic pics but I just wanted to make it easier to understand the path this bullet took.

Photo0544.jpg

CatskillCrawler":2ld8ep86 said:
/pray to the reloading gods that the Deep Curl will be made in .358 225gr.

That would be a cool one too... Not sure you would look too much further than a 225 PT though! They are just made for the 358 Win. Scotty

The 225gr PTs are next year's project round for the BLR. The SGKs get pretty chewed up on the feed ramp and I was thinking the same may be true with the PTs.

CatskillCrawler":16yypygj said:
The 225gr PTs are next year's project round for the BLR. The SGKs get pretty chewed up on the feed ramp and I was thinking the same may be true with the PTs.

Not sure about that, but I have gotten great accuracy with them CC. I am pretty sold on my current load of 225gr PT's and W748. Feeds well and shoots around 2450 outta the BLR. With a trigger job on that rifle, I am kinda thinking it could become a favorite. Scotty

Nice catch and a nice buck.
That Speer look good!

JD338

Great bullet performance, hard on the tenderloins :) , but if you want penetration it sure held together. CL

Congrats to the hunters on the elk & deer!

Looks like the bullet performed perfectly. Seriously, what more could be asked of a hunting bullet?

We live in a time when there are so very many great hunting bullets available. Sometimes it's hard for me to remember when we had only traditional cup and core bullets and the Nosler Partition. There were no other choices, not that long ago.

Guy

cloverleaf":2ixile1i said:
Great bullet performance, hard on the tenderloins :) , but if you want penetration it sure held together. CL

Tenderloins were totally intact. The back straps took the brunt of the damage but even they were surprisingly not a total wreck. We lost 1/3 of one and half of the other. That bullet just plowed right thru the spine. I was thinking we may get a 1/4 of one and none of the other but with a little trimming it worked out very well. We felt very lucky to get anything out of them.

Back