.348 Range Day

pre6422hornet

Handloader
Jan 24, 2012
Well I was able to slip away for an hour and hit the range. Back in Dec I found this NIB Browning Model 71 Carbine. I drifted out the rear sight and installed a sight blank, and installed a Lyman 57 peep sight.

I loaded up some IMR 3031 and IMR 4350 over a Hornady 200gr FP in progressive amounts. 47, 48, and 49 for the 3031, and 57, 58, and 59 for the 4350.

DSC00815.jpg

Here she is patiently waiting for the "range hot" command.

Waldron-20120330-00013.jpg

After getting her on the paper in 3 shots at 25 yards, I gave her a cleaning and held for groups so to say. The group on the left is 47 of IMR 3031 and the middle is 48. Still at 25 but the 48 looks promising. Just a sidenote here, I mistakenly marked the target "4064" in stead of 3031. I normally only use IMR 4064 or 4350 in everything else, my brain had a big fart while writing

DSC00980.jpg

I then cleaned again and fired four shots with 49 of IMR 3031 without looking downrange at where it was grouping. Now this entailed lifting the rifle off the bag, cycling the action and laying it back down. When I looked I couldnt believe it!! Three in the same hole measuring just over .380 edge to edge!!. I gacked the 4th ( thought I pulled it, actually pushed it) Now again at 25 yards, but I was out of that load so I will have to make some more and move back to 50 yards.

Liberty-20120330-00014.jpg

I moved the target back to 50 and hoped she kept things together.

So then I stepped to the 4350 and let her rip. Here are the groups.

DSC00978.jpg

58 grains seems to be a good one to replicate as well, and after looking in my books, the 57 gr of imr4350 is the same the same speed wise as the 49 of IMR 3031 ( HHHHMMMMMM) I may be on to something.

Well I was out of ammo, and the .223 ammo I brought to shoot through the AR is banned at the range ( steel core) so I was SOL and on my way.

I am pleasantly surprised at how easy recoiling this rifle was even with the steel buttplate and short 20 inch barrel. Now I just need Nosler to make me some 250 gr Partitions and we will be all set :D

I did notice that you reallly have to work the lever hard to get everything to work correctly, and I have read that this is true. There is no gently sending a round into the chamber, or extraction. The more OOMPF you give it, the easier it works. The sure made these leverguns right. And the sound it makes locking up is just music to anyones ears. I even had an older gentleman walk by and do a double take when he saw her in the rack. He saw my rounds and gave me a thumbs up!

PS... NOSLER, please consider a 250gr Partition Flat Point ( or protected point). I am sure that a few of us would buy all of them :grin:

Missouri Whitetails watch out! Not to steal Scotty's line, but I hope to "aerate" a few of you this fall with this rifle. :lol:

Nice looking M71 and groups!
A 250 gr PT would be an awesome bullet for the 348 Win and an excellent black timber round for deer, bear, elk and moose.

JD338

The rifle is showing real promise. That is a genuine catch for you. Good look rifle and the loads show considerable promise. Thanks for sharing, and congratulations on a great rifle.

What a great rifle. Both the originals and the Browning made versions are terrific. I really like that peep sight setup - it's perfect for the rifle.

Good shooting too!

Great shooting Pat. The M71 348 Win is a dream rifle of mine and without any real plans of pursuing anymore bolt rifles in the near future, I hope to find a rifle like yours. That is some great shooting buddy and hope to see some more shooting out of that rifle as the Summer moves on. Great pictures. That peep looks pretty nice.

Definitely on my want list to play with. Love the levers!

Reloader 19 works great in my Win 71 with Barnes 250gr FN and 200gr Hornady FN

H4831 also works good with 200gr Hornady FN.

Man now you guys are gonna make try all those powders. I guess that is why reloading is so much fun!

Thanks for all the information.

Pat

Back