35 Whelen 200 grain loads

DON

Handloader
Dec 3, 2013
Is anyone here using the Hornady 200 grain bullets in their 35 Whelen for Deer? Curious about the load and results. It would be nice for Nosler to consider a 200 grainer in the Partition :roll: 8)

Thanks,
Don

Yeah but you have the AccuBond that works just as well and you can load fairly fast.
Which 200 Hornady? It will make a difference when reloading and are not interchangeable.

My stepson used the Hornady factory loads using their 200 gr. pointed soft point to kill a medium sized 12 point two years ago. The shot was about 75 yds and was fired from a Remington 7600. The bullet entered the point of the left shoulder and traveled into the vitals. The buck ran uphill about 60 yds before expiring. Field dressing showed the bullet gave good performance but nothing noteworthy, and not as good as the 225 AB's have done out of my Whelen bolt gun.

He used this load because it gave the best accuracy out of this particular rifle.

Hope this helps.

Ron

Thanks for the replies. I forgot about the 200 AB. Has anyone here got some real experience taking deer with it, can share results etc. Your load data with it too?

Truck Driver,
Did I see someone on here getting 2800+ fps with the 200 AB?

Thanks
Don

DON":jazyul4j said:
Thanks for the replies. I forgot about the 200 AB. Has anyone here got some real experience taking deer with it, can share results etc. Your load data with it too?

Truck Driver,
Did I see someone on here getting 2800+ fps with the 200 AB?

Thanks
Don
Check out the #8 Nosler on line manual. 200gr AB over 2900fps with IMR8208XBR. Good stuff for the 35 Whelen.

rjm158":2vaixuvg said:
My stepson used the Hornady factory loads using their 200 gr. pointed soft point to kill a medium sized 12 point two years ago. The shot was about 75 yds and was fired from a Remington 7600. The bullet entered the point of the left shoulder and traveled into the vitals. The buck ran uphill about 60 yds before expiring. Field dressing showed the bullet gave good performance but nothing noteworthy, and not as good as the 225 AB's have done out of my Whelen bolt gun.

He used this load because it gave the best accuracy out of this particular rifle.

Hope this helps.

Ron
>>> I used to have a 760. what is the best his rifle will shoot,curious?

lhsako":c6q9e5b0 said:
rjm158":c6q9e5b0 said:

Hope this helps.

Ron

Not Ron, but mine does pretty well with 225 Sierras.

I think it could do better but this load works well for me.

Don, I ran the 200 Hornady Spire Points up to 2900 with IMR4064. Very accurate. No on game experience though. This was outta my 700 CDL.

The 200 AccuBond looks real good in the jugs and Gerry has taken a few animals with his.

These were the Hornady at 200 yards.

lhsako":1dt5mlre said:
rjm158":1dt5mlre said:

Hope this helps.

Ron

If memory serves me correctly, I think he was getting in the neighborhood of .75 most of the time.

I've had good results with 58gr H322 and 200gr X in a Whelen Improved. Some standard Whelens can handle that 58gr charge behind the 200 Hornady.

If you must you can push the standard 35 Whelen fairly hard but I wouldn't go over 62Kpsi but at that your loads will still be safe in a modern bolt action rifle.
If your using a Rem pump I would keep them down to 58Kpsi since the pump action isn't as strong as a bolt action.

Scotty,
That's impressive shooting with the 200 Hornady! What was your load and powder used?

Don

DON":s011xwb7 said:
Scotty,
That's impressive shooting with the 200 Hornady! What was your load and powder used?

Don

Don I’d have to look at my notes but I’m pretty sure it was a case full of 4064, BR2 primers in RP cases. The COAL is on the targets. Very accurate in my rifle. May try the TTSXs to see what those do as well.

DON":dl3sxvwg said:
Thanks Scotty!

No problem. This motivated me to break my Whelen out and do a little updating. Ordered a trigger, stock and some 200 grain TTSXs for the old girl. Plus I have a 6x36 with dotz ready to go on it as well. Should get it about where I’d like it for this next year. It’s always been accurate with just about everything.

Back