35 Whelen 250 Speer H 4895 and Varget.

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
Thought I should report since I said I would in my previous thread.

H 4895 - 250 gr Speer

It was a bit dark the morning I tested it so I don't trust the readings from the chrony as you will see.

52 gr (1 round) 2257 fps
53 gr (1 round) 2297 fps
54 gr (3 rounds) 2590 fps
55 gr (3 rounds Nosler's max load) 2675 fps

As you can see the Chrony wasn't doing to well nothing great in terms of accuracy so will move on.

Varget - 250 gr Speer

More normal readings and slightly better accuracy I may do some more with it.

52 gr (1 round) 2379 fps
53 gr (1 round) 2368 fps
54 gr (3 rounds but only one reading) 2493 fps
55 gr (3 rounds, Nosler's max load) 2503 fps

I trust the last reading since it was the last one of the day, I noticed that a bunch of my groups have 2 close and one flier which could be me or maybe the bullet should be seated a bit deeper. I probably will just load the bullet with Big Game since it did better and had more speed, running low on bullets and need to keep a few for spring bear.

Next up will be IMR 8208 with the 225 gr Sierra, 225 gr AccuBond and 225 gr Partition, I believe DrMike has some fantastic results with this powder and the Sierra if memory serves. I lucked out today and was able to get 2 more pounds of it to add to the stash, it is my go to powder for the 200 gr bullets in this round.

I was told by the owner of the store his Alliant order was canceled by the company in the U.S. and has no idea when we will see it again, Hodgdon and IMR will be much easier for us to get.

Will keep you guys up to date on how things go.

Your memory is quite good, Gerry. I made a load with 225 grain Sierra GK and 56.0 grains of IMR8208XBR. It became my hunting load this year, giving me fine velocities and sub-MOA accuracy. Unfortunately, I did not use this load on any game this year. I'll likely see what I can find in the way of a bear this spring or next fall with this load.

Hi Mike, I was wondering if you tried that load with the 225gr. ABs?
I believe the 8208 XBR is something I can get my hands on.

Blessings,
Dan

Dan,

I have not yet tried it with the 225 AB. It is somewhere on my "to do" list, however. Likely sometime this spring.

Dan I will try to do it in the next couple of weeks, hopefully I can make it happen on Saturday.

Thanks gerry, I am stuck in the deep freezer here the last 5 or 6 days :evil:. Now they are talking lots of wind as the temperature raises we can't catch a break :roll:.

Blessings,
Dan

DrMike":1vhv3ci6 said:
Your memory is quite good, Gerry. I made a load with 225 grain Sierra GK and 56.0 grains of IMR8208XBR. It became my hunting load this year, giving me fine velocities and sub-MOA accuracy. Unfortunately, I did not use this load on any game this year. I'll likely see what I can find in the way of a bear this spring or next fall with this load.

Mike,

What kind of speeds were you getting?

JD338

2650 fps. Consequently, I don't consider that I was topped out on charge at that point.

DrMike":2jxx3fyf said:
2650 fps. Consequently, I don't consider that I was topped out on charge at that point.

Mike,

That is a very good speed and it will generate some serious horse power, enough energy for the biggest of game you would hunt with the 35 Whelen. Was that with a 24" barrel?

JD338

Yes, that is a 24 inch barrel. I was content with the velocity; I anticipate that it will do quite nicely for anything from moose to grizzly. Unfortunately, as I stated, I haven't actually taken anything yet. However, I have a few loaded and ready to go.

Back