35 whelen loads

JD338":17qcer6u said:
TD,

The best powders for the 35 Whelen are IMR 4064, AA2015 and RL 15.

JD338

I would add Varget and IMR 8208 to that list, those are my go to powders in the round these days. When you look at Nosler's data there are actually lots of great powders that will work well.

gerry":2vegd2ri said:
JD338":2vegd2ri said:
TD,

The best powders for the 35 Whelen are IMR 4064, AA2015 and RL 15.

JD338

I would add Varget and IMR 8208 to that list, those are my go to powders in the round these days. When you look at Nosler's data there are actually lots of great powders that will work well.
Gerry

I would agree with you.
My load development goes back 25 years. Most Whelen are not too fussy and shoot very well
so you have many powders to choose from.

JD338

AA 2015 and RL 15 were my go to powders way back as well, I just love to experiment with other bullets and powders so in a few years who knows what the loads will be :)

I have not reloaded for my whelen yet. I use H4895 for both my 35 rem and 358win. I have worked up loads useing TAC for both and may switch to it.

My question is how is TAC working in the Whelen using 225gr PT/AB's?
With the whelen I would be happy with any thing thats accurate over 2600fps.

I think the 215M is the ticket for using TAC even in the 35rem. I used 210M primers and with the 35rem (18.5" barrel) found unburned powder in my chrony. Worked fine in my 21" barreled 358win.

In the link I posted earlier in the thread John Barsness workd with TAC and had some excellent speeds, it would be worth a try since you have it already. H 4895 would be a good choice too.

I'm running 58.0gr IMR4320 and a 250 Hot Cor. Speeds of around 2500-2550, 1-1.25MOA to 200 yards.

So far it only has one deer to its credit, but that shot was 25 yards. The HotCor left an ENORMOUS exit wound, and the deer was parked instantly without so much as a kick or tremor.

That has been my experance with the 35 whelen and deer. Three DRT all heart shots, all complete pass throughs with the 200gr CoreLokt PSP (old type).

I have the 225gr PT loaded in my 358win this year. With a super clean barrel it took 15 fouling shots but I have a 3 shot group inside the one inch square above my POA on my target. After about 10 shots the groups get Sub MOA. ( 225gr PT @ 2440 fps 20.5" barrel)

I cleaned and JB polished the barrel for storage, but this gun requires at least 10-15 fowling shots to find its accuracy potencial. I always put 3 fowlling shots through my guns before sighting in and thats usually good for my other guns.

Man! Just tons of info here and all very good. Just one question does anyone load pistol bullets for plinking and hunting small game?

Argh! Not only did they have 225gr 358's, they had another I've been waiting for...165gr PT's for 30 cal. They just got me for 150 of the 30 cals and 100 of the 358's (which sold them out, sorry!).

Can't wait till the wife does her online banking check later today..... :?

gerry":2xjiyyx3 said:
If I remember right it was for your uncle, was he able to connect on an elk this year?
Yep, they are for his Model 700. He was not able to connect on a elk yet, but this load has proven to be potent whitetail medicine this year :mrgreen:

Wondermutt":1kpo2jdn said:
gerry":1kpo2jdn said:
If I remember right it was for your uncle, was he able to connect on an elk this year?
Yep, they are for his Model 700. He was not able to connect on a elk yet, but this load has proven to be potent whitetail medicine this year :mrgreen:

Nice, I bet he was impressed :)

Back