35 Whelen project about to kick off......finally

gbflyer":1j1rj4qb said:
I’ve never gotten that kind of speed but I usually have shorter barrels.

I love .35 Whelen. I have built 3 of them. This is #3. Zastava Mauser action left hand and a 12 twist Wilson barrel. Waiting on a stock, Boyd’s carries the inlet and it was shipped in about 2 weeks from order. Should have it Monday.
3294486a3901e5cd742f33171ce2a1d9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice. Keep me posted on how it turns out. What kind of lathe is she resting on?

Brinky72":3ils6pml said:
gbflyer":3ils6pml said:
I’ve never gotten that kind of speed but I usually have shorter barrels.

I love .35 Whelen. I have built 3 of them. This is #3. Zastava Mauser action left hand and a 12 twist Wilson barrel. Waiting on a stock, Boyd’s carries the inlet and it was shipped in about 2 weeks from order. Should have it Monday.
3294486a3901e5cd742f33171ce2a1d9.jpg

Nice. Keep me posted on how it turns out. What kind of lathe is she resting on?
14X40 Enterprise by MK. Its been great to learn on. Came out of a prison work shop.[emoji1]

Received Boyd’s stock. It’s OK, don’t really care for the profile but the price was right and service quick. The inlet is good. I put pillars in it today and might be able to bed it tomorrow.

6eef912e916cbc074d4a51d56bd6ac1b.jpg

gbflyer said:
Received Boyd’s stock. It’s OK, don’t really care for the profile but the price was right and service quick. The inlet is good. I put pillars in it today and might be able to bed it tomorrow.

6eef912e916cbc074d4a51d56bd6ac1b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote
Sure looks nice. I put mine in a simple Hogue stock that’s pillar bedded. I didn’t save a lot of weight but I liked the stock because it was tacky and I could hold onto it well even if wet. I built it as primary a bear rifle and I hunt behind hounds. One thing for certain with running bear with hounds is the bear will find the most miserable swamp in the area looking to lose the dogs. So, you best be ready to go into that hell hole after it.

I dig the lathe. My dad was a machinist in the Navy and an industrial arts teacher back in the day. He taught me and I loved the work. I did it on a production level after my hitch in the Military but no where as enjoyable as it was when I was making parts and fixing things. I worked on South Bend belt drive lathes and the good ol’ Bridgeport mills.

First 6 rounds down the barrel. Kind of a wallet group I guess. Yes,there’s old tape on the target and no I wasn’t covering flyers with it. 1 low left, 2 low right. Sight adjustment 6” up, 3-6 are just right of the bull. 225 Sierra Gameking, H335 powder. 100 yards.

I think I’ll just put it in the safe now before I disappoint myself[emoji23]

078033ee7488caf08ce9192a170b77eb.jpg

I think it’s a keeper. But, if you ever have the need to move it let me know.

That has to be gratifying. Congratulations. No, don't put it in the safe. Send a passel more downstream to become totally comfortable with all the nuances of the rifle/load combination.

DrMike":3jax5oxo said:
That has to be gratifying. Congratulations. No, don't put it in the safe. Send a passel more downstream to become totally comfortable with all the nuances of the rifle/load combination.

Now that is sage advice!

I'd say "some guys get all the luck...", but you've put too much effort, planning and $ cash into it to say that. Good for you! :) Enjoy!! CL

Back