Ruger American Rifle .308 22” barrel 1 in 10 in twist.

Clocktower

Beginner
Mar 16, 2023
I have a Ruger American Rifle in .308, with a 22 in barrel, 1 in 10 inch twist. It shoots 8 shots into an inch using factory ammo.
My question is this, the factory velocities are from a 24 inch minimum spec barrels with, I’m thinking, 1 in 12 inch twists. What kind of velocities can I expect out of a 22 inch barrel with a 1 in 10 inch twist?
I’ve heard that a faster rate of twist will speed up velocities compared to a slower rate of twist. Is this true?
I look forward to hearing from you all on this matter.

I'd subtract 25-35 fps per inch so your 22" would be 50-70 fps less than a 24" barrel.
As for twist, a faster twist isn't going to increase velocity. It will increase the RPM's which will help a bullet expand. It can also stress a bullet more on close range high velocity impacts. Having said that, at 308 Win speeds, a 1:10 twist is ideal.

JD338

All good info, but remember that every rifle is just a bit different. And each environment is different (temp, humidity, altitude). If you can, shoot your personal load - hand load , or just whatever factory load you use - over a chronograph to see what it will do. Besides, it's a good excuse to get out and shoot some more.(y)

What JD and Dr Mike said...
Do you have any pics of your rifle?
What ammunition are you using?
Yes, I do have pics of it. Warning before looking, it’s all factory stock. Nothing great to look at, but I will post the pictures of it.
The ammo I used was Winchester 150 gr Super X.

Attachments

• RenderedImage.jpeg
    RenderedImage.jpeg
    425.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20211210_005429632~2.jpeg
    IMG_20211210_005429632~2.jpeg
    154.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20211210_005452022~2.jpeg
    IMG_20211210_005452022~2.jpeg
    170.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2692.jpeg
    IMG_2692.jpeg
    828 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2691.jpeg
    IMG_2691.jpeg
    928.8 KB · Views: 20
All good info, but remember that every rifle is just a bit different. And each environment is different (temp, humidity, altitude). If you can, shoot your personal load - hand load , or just whatever factory load you use - over a chronograph to see what it will do. Besides, it's a good excuse to get out and shoot some more.(y)
You’re absolutely right about everything you said!

Clearly, your rifle wants to deliver for you. Eight shots into an inch is pretty good, especially with factory ammunition. The Rugers are not particularly attractive rifles, but they are workhorses. All of them that I have deliver the goods, and I do have a few.

Clearly, your rifle wants to deliver for you. Eight shots into an inch is pretty good, especially with factory ammunition. The Rugers are not particularly attractive rifles, but they are workhorses. All of them that I have deliver the goods, and I do have a few.
The great thing about the American Rifle is that I won’t worry about taking it to the field hunting with it. If the stock gets dinged, or scratched, it’s not a problem to me, not like the M77’s I used to own, where they had nice wood, and I would hesitate going through the brambles with them. Plus, the American Rifles are much lighter and I can heft them a lot easier up and down mountains and hills.

The great thing about the American Rifle is that I won’t worry about taking it to the field hunting with it. If the stock gets dinged, or scratched, it’s not a problem to me, not like the M77’s I used to own, where they had nice wood, and I would hesitate going through the brambles with them. Plus, the American Rifles are much lighter and I can heft them a lot easier up and down mountains and hills.
If you get tired of the black plastic looking stock you can always paint it.
You have a very nice set up there!

Is that a 3-9 scope?
Are you using a rear field bag under the bottom of the buttstock when you are shooting?

Darrell Holland has some good shooting tips when using a bi-pod

Is that a 3-9 scope?
Are you using a rear field bag under the bottom of the buttstock when you are shooting?

Darrell Holland has some good shooting tips when using a bi-pod
Yes, it’s an Sig Sauer 3-9x40 Buckmasters BDC scope.
I didn’t have a bag to rest at the rear of the stock, so I improvised and used an old rolled up towel that I had laying around, and when I was shooting, I did the shooters 3 point stance at the bench.
Thank you for the videos, they quite informative.

Nothing wrong with your Ruger American. For the money they are hard to beat. I have one in 223Rem, and it is one of the most accurate rifles I own. The stock is a little flimsy but durable. I did replace the trigger spring with a MCarbo for about $20.00 Keep an extra magazine on hand as they will break. Dan.

I've never really compared the .308 with 1 in 10 and 1 in 12: twists mainly because I've never had two .308s with equal length barrel and the two different twist rates. I am inclined to agree with what others have already said as I think it doesn't make a lot of difference. I would think that a 1 in 10" twist might allow the bullet to expand a bit faster and that would be about the only real difference.

On velocity, I gave up on 150 gr. bullets way before I ever owned a chronograph So, no true idea on what the actual velocity would be. However I have clocked the 165 gr. Speer Grand load from Speer's now discontinued Nitrex ammo in a couple of rifle and wish Speer would bring them back. They advertised 2610 FPS or thereabouts with that load and that's about what I got from a Winchester M70 Youth Ranger with 22" 1 in 12" twist. I also ran that load through a 1 in 10" Ruger M77 RSI with 18.5" 1 in 10" twist for 2550 FPS.

I also did a test running 180 gr. Winchester Power Points in that M70 vs a Remington 700 30-06 with 1 in 10" twist 22" barrel. Surprise, surprise, the .308 ran an average of 20 FPS faster than the 30-06. Whether the .308 was hotter than normal or Big "W" is now downloading the 30-06 is something I don't know. I just know what the chronograph said. I've killed lots of deer with either cartridge so frankly really don't worry overmuch about a few FPS.
Paul B.

Yes, it’s an Sig Sauer 3-9x40 Buckmasters BDC scope.
I didn’t have a bag to rest at the rear of the stock, so I improvised and used an old rolled up towel that I had laying around, and when I was shooting, I did the shooters 3 point stance at the bench.
Thank you for the videos, they quite informative.
You are welcome.
Darrell is the real deal.
I always try to get a stable/rock solid support on both my forend and my buttstock, whether on the bench or in the field.

Back