.270 Winchester ELDX vs. ABLR

filmjunkie4ever

Handloader
May 4, 2011
What real world difference can I expect between these two bullets?

Standard .270 Winchester loaded to 2900-2950 fps, wanting to setup a longer range load for shooting out to 600 yards absolute max. Mule deer and the occasional antelope, sheep and elk.

My rifle is a Browning BBR with 24” standard sporter barrel 1-10” twist rate.

Like the .500+ B.C.’s of these bullets. The trajectory of the 145 ELDX factory loads is within 1” of drop and 100 fps of velocity with that of the 6.5 PRC 143 grain ELDX factory load clear out to 500 yards.

Opinions please.

(Posted at 24hr Campfire as well)

Morning! I load both bullets for all of my rifles (270 win, 7mm Rem Mag, 6.5 PRC, 300 PRC, etc) with good results. From my experience, both bullets like a jump to lands to gain good accuracy; with the ABLR being more finicky than the ELD-X. Both are super accurate once good nodes are found and perform consistently in all my rifles at 1000 yards. The biggest difference is strength of the bullets. ABLR are a true bonded bullet and ELD-X are a cup and core. I have tested both for penetration and terminal performance, and the ABLR is the winner for me on this test. However, both will kill any North American animal, but I prefer to not use the ELD-X on elk or larger game. Also, the ELD-X BC #'s are probably more accurate than the ABLR listed BC#'s. To be more specific, I have actually had much better performance with my 270 win. using AccuBond's...have taken several large mule deer and elk at 500+ yards. The Accubonds work great out to 600 yards and are much easier to find the accuracy node. Additionally, with a 1:10 twist, the higher BC bullets are much longer and may need a tighter twist (depending on what grain bullet you select) Just my experience.

Last edited:
Both are great bullets, great BC but the ELD-X will not hold up well on bone according to my last hunt. I hunted two cow nilgai and I used the 300 Win Mag and 200 grain ELD-X at ranges of 150 and 300 yards at around 3085 fps if I could remember. The 150 yard cow nilgai was hit behind the crease of the shoulder, performed flawlessly with a exit on opposite side, and the 2nd nilgai cow was hit square on the shoulder which shattered it, shredded the lungs and dented the opposite inside of the shoulder and lost that bullet in the pile. Both animals ran after being hit and needed to be tracked. My assumption is it may have separated between the cup and core with the 2nd nilgai that got hit on bone. I hunted with the same rifle 2 years ago using the 180 AccuBond on a red stag at close to 3200 fps, hit it head on at the junction of the neck and shoulder and the bullet traveled almost the entire length of that animal! DRT. Great performance from the AccuBond, it was found an inch from exiting its rump. The ABLR should have similar construction of the original AccuBond. Keep in mind that the longer the range, it would benefit the ELD-X since its a softer bullet, mushroom and stay in one piece. What if the big game animal is closer? I would choose the right bullet for the job which can handle close and far. I tested the ABLR in my 7 STW and 7 Mag, and it was not easy to find a node so I switched to the AccuBond for accuracy and can handle big and tough game. I would go with the ABLR / AccuBond if using shoulder shots on big game.

Last edited:
I have shot targets much farther than 600 yards but personally feel that I shouldn’t engage game animals beyond that. In fact my practical limit of 400 yards is still what I prefer as an absolute limit in most cases. Lots of open country here where I hunt can make it tough to get within 400.

I had forgotten about the AccuBond being available in 150 grain. It’s BC is right at .500, which is as low as I want to go. The 145 ELDX and 150 ABLR are in the .5+ camp, not that BC is my holy grail by any means.

I’ve been using both in my 28 nosler for about five years now. I prefer the bonding of the ablr to the more frangible eld-x. Both have been very accurate. I handload both but the factory loaded ammo ablr which I got from sps was as good as my hand loads, just a bit slower. We all love to push it right!?
I use the 150 ablr in a 7mm-08 and love it. The eld-x was never very accurate in that particular rifle.
For elk and bigger size/bones animals I would prefer the original AccuBond although I have seen firsthand good performance from the eld-x and ablr. Again, the bonding matters esp. if you catch a bone!

The ABLR is a great bullet, high BC for extended ranges and bonded core for bone smashing capability. The thinner jacket ensures expansion at long range but it opens fast and holds together up close.
I've taken quite a few WT deer with the ABLR in different calibers and weights and all but one have been DRT. This year I have taken 3 deer with the 308 Win 168 gr ABLR and my wife took one with her 30 Nosler 168 gr ABLR and they were all DRT.
If it were me, I'd load that 270 Win with the 150 ABLR and not look back.

JD338

This was found in the rump, an inch from exiting. Entrance on a red stag was neck / shoulder junction head on.
300 Win Mag / 180 AccuBond / 3175 fps at 275 yards
t67nmvYl.jpg

VPy8Dfal.jpg

ABLR should have similar results.

This was found in the rump, an inch from exiting. Entrance on a red stag was neck / shoulder junction head on.
300 Win Mag / 180 AccuBond / 3175 fps at 275 yards
t67nmvYl.jpg

VPy8Dfal.jpg

ABLR should have similar results.
I have used the standard AccuBond in several calibers with similar if not exact results.

I haven’t yet taken any game with the ABLR in any caliber. The ELDX seem a bit to the frangible side for my preferences but that is why they work so well at longer distances. Hornady’s availability and prices are much more attractive than Nosler’s as well.

Within my range limitations I am considering the ABLR or AB as both are above 1800 fps out beyond my prescribed max range according to the JBM ballistics calculator. Hmm.

Hornady offers their Interbond line of bonded bullets which I have never used but their other bullets tend to come apart about 3000fps.

Back