270 winchester makeover complete

Scotty -

My favorite .270 story comes from days of yore regarding my Grampa as a young man. He hunted on horseback mostly for deer since the high sagebrush made great hiding spots for those old mossy horned bucks. This was in the late 40's and party hunting was not only legal but encouraged. He had three tags left to fill for the older folks in town who still needed to fill their freezers for winter. He had a Savage 99 takedown in .22 High Power that he liked hunting deer with but he was anxious to try out his then relatively brand new Remington 721. It had a new Lyman or Weaver 3x scope at the time. I believe that was the first rifle he owned that had a scope on it.

Now the story goes that Grampa rode over the top of a ridge and below him in a sage brush flat stood three mule deer bucks. Well he saw them and they saw him all at once. Grampa had enough time to shuck his 721 from the scabbard and lay down on his stomach as the bucks started to amble off. Whatever he was selling they didn't appear to want any. After cycling the action to chamber a Western 130 grain bullet he took careful aim and fired. One buck down. Cycling the action and taking aim, the two remaining bucks were now trotting faster. BANG! Two bucks down. The last one broke into a full out run as Grampa centered the crosshairs on the buck's withers. BANG! Three shots, three bucks. Everyone was pretty much family back in those days and you look out for your family. Those old folks who got venison for their freezer were very grateful for men like Gramps.

Gramps was legendary for his shooting abilities and this story pretty well sums it up to me. When I was a young boy I asked him if this story was true or "just bull." He grinned and snickered saying, "there might've even been four bucks, I can't rightly remember."

Rest in Peace Grampa MacArthur.

Dale

Hey Vince, Iam sorry you had a bad experience with Jack :(. I guess we can all cross the line every so often!!

Blessings,
Dan

Honestly the day I went to town and got my .30-06 all those years ago, I had intended to get a .270 instead but the beautiful wood and stainless matte finish on my Model 70 was the deciding factor.

"A .270 gets there a little faster but the .30-06 hits a little harder," the clerk explained.

Having done most of my hunting with a .300 Savage up to that point, either would be flatter shooting and harder hitting. So I went with the Model 70. I've not been sorry.

Dale

Dale,

Really enjoyed the story. I think everyone who has spent some time in the wilderness has a story or two. Sometimes they are related with a gleam in the eye and the listener knows there just may be more than he heard.

The 270 is the caliber I always recomend to folks asking about what they should buy for a deer rifle! There are somethings in this world that just work..................and for deer up to include 300lb bucks , a 270W with 130gr bullets will always come out up at the top of the heap! Watching hunters shoot game with them I always admired how they will knock a deer silly, perfect outfit
The 270 cartridge and the Model 70 Winchester. You done good olde boy. (y)
E

filmjunkie4ever":1rc472sw said:
Honestly the day I went to town and got my .30-06 all those years ago, I had intended to get a .270 instead but the beautiful wood and stainless matte finish on my Model 70 was the deciding factor.

"A .270 gets there a little faster but the .30-06 hits a little harder," the clerk explained.

Having done most of my hunting with a .300 Savage up to that point, either would be flatter shooting and harder hitting. So I went with the Model 70. I've not been sorry.

Dale

Your dead right Dale. A fellow that slings either or in today's day is probably even better off that your grandpa was. I know I'd be just fine with a 270 Win flinging a good bullet at around 3000-3100.

Dale,
Thank you for sharing your story. True, or not, I enjoyed it. [emoji41]
Dan, sometimes forgiveness comes hard to me. I'll try to work on that.
I do, sometimes, recommend the .270 to people, and their is no denying it's ability, but I often feel that other cartridges would do better.
A good 25-06 and 30-06, .35 Whelen, or .338 of some sort would be more versatile but compound the problem by requiring two guns.

Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vince":1wvaf256 said:
Dale,
Thank you for sharing your story. True, or not, I enjoyed it. [emoji41]
Dan, sometimes forgiveness comes hard to me. I'll try to work on that.
I do, sometimes, recommend the .270 to people, and their is no denying it's ability, but I often feel that other cartridges would do better.
A good 25-06 and 30-06, .35 Whelen, or .338 of some sort would be more versatile but compound the problem by requiring two guns.

Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I agree with ya Vince it's all a darned compromise! Which the 270 Win has been doing pretty well at for a couple of years 8)

Back