35 Whelen project about to kick off......finally

gerry":3ilq6758 said:
Brinky72":3ilq6758 said:
I have three boxes (150) of Speer 250 grainers coming. The RCBS dies are already in the old Rockchucker and I have 100 ‘06 brass bumped up and annealed. The anticipation is killing me. I looked at the Speer data for 250’s is crazy. 2700fps with a 250 will be a freight train. I’d be content with 2550-2600. That’ll still flatten anything at any practical range.

Billbam. I’m getting the exact same barrel just 24”. I’m curious if there is enough meat to have iron sights drilled and taped. My smith wasn’t 100% sure if a #3 contour in .358 bore would.

It will be really interesting to see how those new powders work in real life. 2700 fps with a 250 is no joke but even a bit less speed it will be a hammer.

Agreed. I went with the Whelen because it performed well at moderate velocity without kicking the snot out of you. I’ll give it a go with the CFE223 to see how it behaves but, I’m not looking for a 358 Norma Mag either.

My lightweight CDL with 250’s at 2630 using RL15 was brutal on me with the short stock. It’s an elk hammer.

No real great reason to use the 250’s on deer sized animals in my opinion. 200-225’s that’ll open fast and give you a bit of trajectory advantage as well.

Noslers 225 AccuBond is a beast from all I’ve experienced as is the Sierra 225 GK. It’s cheap and man it has POUNDER deer and I don’t typically like Sierras but that bullet at 2700 makes big holes and usually leaves deer in a heap!

SJB358":2or13hwg said:
My lightweight CDL with 250’s at 2630 using RL15 was brutal on me with the short stock. It’s an elk hammer.

No real great reason to use the 250’s on deer sized animals in my opinion. 200-225’s that’ll open fast and give you a bit of trajectory advantage as well.

Noslers 225 AccuBond is a beast from all I’ve experienced as is the Sierra 225 GK. It’s cheap and man it has POUNDER deer and I don’t typically like Sierras but that bullet at 2700 makes big holes and usually leaves deer in a heap!

Have used a pile of different 225's from moose down to deer and they sure do work well. I like some of the tougher 200's as well, can only think of one animal, a black bear, I shot with 250's since the 225's worked so well. That said the 250 gr Speer Brinky72 is using is a great bullet and inexpensive too which is nice. Scotty, I would imagine that CDL stock being a bit short for a guy your size, that rifle sure does shoot though :)

gerry":1tt5k77y said:
SJB358":1tt5k77y said:

Have used a pile of different 225's from moose down to deer and they sure do work well. I like some of the tougher 200's as well, can only think of one animal, a black bear, I shot with 250's since the 225's worked so well. That said the 250 gr Speer Brinky72 is using is a great bullet and inexpensive too which is nice. Scotty, I would imagine that CDL stock being a bit short for a guy your size, that rifle sure does shoot though :)

Yes Sir. I read how it was a great bullet and highly recommended by Yukon Moose hunters but will still expand on deer size game. I got them on sale for $16.49 per box of 50 which helps too. I’m going to be using the Whelen as my black bear hammer over hounds so having too much gun over expensive bear hounds is a good thing. I’m looking at some irons for it as well. My smith wasn’t sure how much a #3 contour would have at 24” with a .358 bore so I might get a NECG front sight that solders on that resembles a traditional Ruger front sight and a NECG peep for the Ruger integral rib mount. And just because it’ll do 2700 FPS with 250’s doesn’t mean I’m going to load it to that. Even. though I have the recoil pad and the weight of a Ruger receiver to do it accuracy is my first goal. If speed accuracy and tolerable recoil meld at once I’ll do it.

Brinky72":18hdvqda said:
gerry":18hdvqda said:
SJB358":18hdvqda said:

Yes Sir. I read how it was a great bullet and highly recommended by Yukon Moose hunters but will still expand on deer size game. I got them on sale for $16.49 per box of 50 which helps too. I’m going to be using the Whelen as my black bear hammer over hounds so having too much gun over expensive bear hounds is a good thing. I’m looking at some irons for it as well. My smith wasn’t sure how much a #3 contour would have at 24” with a .358 bore so I might get a NECG front sight that solders on that resembles a traditional Ruger front sight and a NECG peep for the Ruger integral rib mount. And just because it’ll do 2700 FPS with 250’s doesn’t mean I’m going to load it to that. Even. though I have the recoil pad and the weight of a Ruger receiver to do it accuracy is my first goal. If speed accuracy and tolerable recoil meld at once I’ll do it.

That’s a great plan.

I was just piling thru my bullets tonight since I am just getting stuff organized after moving. I realized I have a whole bunch of 250 BBCs I need to try out. Looking forward to shooting a Whelen again. Been awhile.

I’m waiting patiently for some Partition 225 grainer blems to show up on SPS but they seem to be a rare item. I think they would be my ideal bullet with all the horsepower needed and a little flatter trajectory. But, the 250 Speer Hot Cor isn’t a bad bullet either especially if I can comfortably get 2550+ real world FPS.

Those Speers are good Bullets Brinky. I wouldn’t worry a bit about using them on much from a Whelen. They shoot exactly the same as Partitions for me as well. I keep a bunch of them around for the Whelens.

The 225’s are tough to find some days.

Brinky72":1ms03oaw said:
JD338":1ms03oaw said:
You're gonna love the 35 Whelen. If you load the 225 gr AB, you will have a reasonably flat shooting 400 yard elk rifle. Did you get any timing for completion from your gunsmith? Can't wait to get you out to the club and ringing steel gongs out to 400 yards! It's going to be an awesome build buddy!

JD338

Not yet but he’ll get back soon. Think he said 6 to 8 weeks or so. I’m going standard chamber and 14” twist. A full 24” SS #3 contour or whatever most closely matches the current barrel. Shilen said a 14” twist will handle 310’s and won’t be finicky. If I want to go AI later I’ll just have it bumped back and have the chamber cleaned up. I think Aa2000MR and CFE 223 will keep me happy though.

Had Shilen barrel a 700 Classic short action with #3 barrel in 358 win, love it. It was squared up and glass bedded free floated. Missed what rifle you started with so here is an option if it applies. I put a B&C medalist composite stock on a 700 SPS pulled the group in about 0.5" five shots touch now. Back to the Shilen .358, 1-14" MY gun likes 5-10 fowling shots before I see the match grade accuracy. Then good for at least 20-30 more (dirty works better) for that gun.

That Speer load data is very different than my manual. I must have an older one. Surprised to see Speer publish data up to 2700fps. Nosler on the other hand always has more aggressive data.

My 35 Whelen is the first rifle I ever bought for myself when I turned 18 3 decades ago, originally was a 30-06. I had JES Rebore it to 35 Whelen for me, and had a gunsmith refinish the old stock, cerakote, glass bed/free float, etc. It's such a great rifle. I only shoot 250gr bullets out of it. Some Nosler, but mostly the Speer Hotcors as they're so much less expensive yet just as effective at 35 Whelen velocities and pretty much fly the same as the Partitions. I still have some old Speer Grand Slams (no longer made) that I found at a gun shop years ago that I have loaded up as hunting rounds along with the Noslers.

After looking at that updated Speer manual, it looks like I need to get some new powders to try in the 35 Whelen.

Well. My barrel is taking forever but it is shipping and should be in the next couple of days. As soon as it gets in it shouldn’t be long before I get my hands on it. Then off to JD338’s to dial it in for bear season. Quick question. I plan on using once fired cases for hunting loads just to be safe but, does a CRF rifle like my Ruger help negate misfires that might occur from headspace issues? Just curious as I’ve seen a few guys state that they’ve had issues with virgin cases

It is taking a while but at least it's on the way. With a proper chamber misfires are a non issue, I have never had one with my bolt actions, both push feeds, over the years or my original Whelen a Remington 7600 pump (miss that gun). The only time I ever saw it was with an older NEF single shot, they really messed up on the head space and the shoulder was quite a bit forward. Once fire formed it was good. Obviously it could happen but I don't think it is very common.

Gerry, thanks for the reply. I know you’ve ran a 35 Whelen for some time. As far as the wait I get the issue. I got a reasonable excuse at least when I called Shilen directly. They told me that it was due to the fact that.358” isn’t a commonly requested bore and that they (or their supplier) were waiting for more orders to make the run. Then COVID hit I happened to place my order on January 28th so my timing was impeccable again. So I understand what happened.

So, during my wait I continually read what I can about the Whelen. Of course if you do read all that’s available you always come across the infamous headspace issues. Every time I read this it seems like it happens in an “older” rifle or like you said single shot or other action that would be problematic. I’ve also read that CRF actions that hold the case will eliminate this issue as it prevents the case from moving forward into a loose chamber upon the firing pin strike. I trust that my gunsmith will do a quality job and doubt it’s going to be an issue.

Good luck with the new rifle.
As long as your gun smith knows what he's doing and uses a sharp reamer to cut the chamber you shouldn't have any problems with miss fires.

I think most of the past issues were due to the fact that the 35 Whelen was a wildcat. Since Remington put it through SAAMI approval, there is now a standard spec.
My 700 Classic 35 Whelen has never let me down and I'm certain your build will do the same.

JD338

Very true. I always seem to forget that it wasn’t SAAMI until the late 80’s and that it was kicking around the woods sixty years prior to that. Lots of room time wise for issues due to bubba smithing. The reamer is being rented for the week and is sharpened and checked prior to shipping out so it should be good to go. Now it’s just the “day before Christmas “ wait.

I’ve never had a problem with plain old 35 Whelen factory brass from Hornady or Remington with a misfire in a push feeder bolt gun or my 7600. Both of them have been fine.

My problem was with the Ruger Hawkeye in 9.3x62. I believe it was just short on headspace and didn’t have enough of the case in the chamber so the first firing on unfired brass had about a 25% failure to fire on the first go around, but recocking the bolt and firing the 2nd time had everyone of them go off. The primer looked like it had a good wack on the first time but it just wasn’t quite enough.

When I do it again, I’ll neck up to 375 first and resize for a crush fit. No issues once they have been fired though, it’s worked like a champ. A stronger firing pin spring may help as well but I don’t think there is an issue as long as I size up a caliber to create a false shoulder.

Well I got the rifle first thing on Tuesday. The smith new I was waiting patiently to get it for my bear hunt and let me take it without completely finishing the barrel (sans chambering Mark). It shoots and shows real good potential. I used load data shared by a fellow 35 Whelen fan(s) that I crept up on carefully. I got three shots in a group a bit over 1” including a called flier. My load is 59.5 grains of RL15, Hornady brass (virgin) 250 Speer Hot Cor and WLR primer. That group was rounds 12,13and 14. That’s including the test fire round. I ran one wet patch and one dry patch between every round up to round ten. After that group I finished up the box with ringing a 8” steel plate at 250 yards 6 out of 6 times. Thinking I have no excuses come my bear hunt if I get on a good bear. Once JD338 gets back from his hunt I’ll ask him to post a couple pics for me. So, in short the wait was long, understandable but worth it in the end. Very pleased.

I figure when I get more time I’ll fine tune the load adjusting the charge weight and OAL until I’m shooting bug holes. I’m also really pleased with how the rifle handles as far as recoil. I have a hogue stock on it with a hogue recoil pad. The recoil energy is there without a doubt but it’s not sharp. I’m assuming it’s the energy vs speed thing. I hammered out 30 rounds without issue and had I more time I would have kept shooting. It’s actually fun to shoot in comparison to a 300 mag or even some poorly stocked 06’s I’ve owned.

I have a couple of friends with Ruger Alaskan's in 375 with the Hogue stock and they sure do soak up the recoil. Much better than the laminate stocked 375 Ruger I had :lol: Have had the same experience as you with 300's or poorly stocked 30-06's.

Looking forward to seeing a picture of a bear with that nice rifle leaned up against it ;)

Back