.358" 250 gr. Partition Design

35Whelen

Beginner
Oct 16, 2004
I recently acquired a 358 Norma on a 1999 Montana action. I received it 10 days before leaving for an elk hunt, so had to slop it into a cheap composite stock as my walnut stock wasn't ready. I've been using 225 gr. TSX's in my Whelen and they show remarkable penetration and accuracy. Since I had some of the TSX's on hand, I started working up loads but found I had to shoot them at maximum pressures to achieve any accuracy. I finally got an accurate load that ran 3000~ fps. I had less than a week and only a little over a box of bullets to work up a load
A few years ago I shot a couple of bulls with my 35 Whelen and 225 gr. Partitions, but was dissatisfied with the penetration of the bullet. In looking at the bullet, I personally believe the Partition is too far back especially since this bullet is typically used on game such as elk and larger.
My question is: Does the .358" 250 gr. Partition have it's Partition moved forward of the bullet more than the 225 gr.? Has anyone recovered any 250 gr. bullets and have pictures?
Thanks,
35W

I have used the 225 gr PT with great success on WT deer adn a 250 lb Black Bear. The 250 gr PT has a longer shank and rear core than the 225 gr PT and will give you more penetration.
It would be an excellent choice for elk giving you plenty of penetration and you should have no troubles getting them to shoot.
35WhelenBulletExpansion.jpg

JD338

That's what I was looking for! It'd be nice if someone had a picture of a sectioned bullet.
35W

35Whelen

Go with the 250 gr PT in your 358 Norma and don't look back.
It will work very nicely on elk. :wink:

JD338

I have taken 2 bull elk and 2 blackbears, the partion did it's job, expanded but still had enough energy to go all the way thru. never needed a second shot on anything I have hit with the whelen.

JD338 Whats your oppinion of the 225gr Partition at a MV of 2430fps from my 358win for mainly deer. For black bears and elk I think its a done deal.

tjen":26jpnvm5 said:
JD338 Whats your oppinion of the 225gr Partition at a MV of 2430fps from my 358win for mainly deer. For black bears and elk I think its a done deal.

You should be able to eat right up to the bullet holes.
You should get complete ppenetration from any angle without excessive
damage to the meat.
It would be a dandy load for sure. :wink:

JD338

Back