358Win and this years hunts

bullet

Handloader
Dec 26, 2007
THE 358Win AND THIS YEARS HUNTS

I have gone through a lot of load work and detail to get my 358Win Ruger Hawkeye ready for this hunting season. It has been very consistent and extremely accurate for an out of the box Ruger Hawkeye that has not had any work on the trigger or bedding of the stock. I am very pleased with the results. I was able to get very tight groups with my loads and the VX-III 1.5-5x20mm had not hindered my ability to shoot tight groups. Great scope, I really like it.

I will be using it on my bear hunt in Oct. in Arizona, on hogs and deer in Mississippi and Louisiana this year along with a four day hunt for large white tail deer in Missouri during November. It will be my main rifle used this year. I am really looking forward to this years hunting trips and time in the woods.

I finalized my load as follows:

225gr Sierra Game King SBT

Winchester brass

Federal 210 primers

AA2495BR powder

Rifle & Scope:

IMG_8033.jpg

IMG_8035.jpg

IMG_8338.jpg

Targets & Round:

IMG_8051.jpg

IMG_8192.jpg

IMG_8459.jpg

IMG_8013.jpg

I have had a couple of fiends of mine say that I will gain a whole new respect and passion for the 358Win if I use it on all my hunts this year. Infact, our family has a friend of ours who guided for years and that is all he used and he had a deep respect for the cartridge.

I new if I did not commit to using it on my hunts this year that I would tend to pick up the rifles and cartridges I have become comfortable with and not really get to know the 358Win. I am looking forward to the experience.

Here is the ballistic card I will carry with me this year.

Ballistic Chart
358Win
225gr Sierra SBT
2471fps

Sight in at 3" high at 100yds

1000 foot pounds energy as minimum on deer size game

Yards--------Velocity-----Energy-----(above/below line of sight)

0--------------2471------3050-------------(-1.5")

100-----------2256------2542-------------(+3")

210-----------2031------2060-------------(Zero)

263-----------1927------1855-------------(-5”)

300-----------1857------1723--------(-10” P/B-hold top of shoulder)

355-----------1756------1540--------(-10” from top of shoulder)

373-----------1724------1484--------(-14” from top of shoulder)

corbin9191":xua1foev said:
VERY VERY NICE rifle! Good luck on all your hunts this year.

Thanks corbin, I really like how this rifle looks, feels and shoots. I appreciate you wishing me well this year on my hunts.

POP":3n373g6z said:
You're set!

Yes POP, the most complete work I have done with a rifle and load in a long time. I feel extremely confident with this rifle and round. I believe you are right, I am set!!!

Forgot to mention a four day hunt in Missouri this November for large white tail deer.

GB300wm":1rvoivcm said:
Way to go bullet. I'm already looking forward to the pics..... :grin:

I am looking forward to hunting with you again in January and that is where I want some good pictures.

Awesome! Can not wait to see the pics and hear the stories of your hunts this year. Will also be anxious to see how the rifle performs.

TScottW99":3o48a3wg said:
Awesome! Can not wait to see the pics and hear the stories of your hunts this year. Will also be anxious to see how the rifle performs.

TScottW99, that is what I am really looking forward to is seeing how it does preform in the field on game.

Final adjustment of my sights until I check it again the first of October for my hunt in Arizona. Here are two groups, the top three shot group from a clean barrel was first then I adjusted my scope elevation and the bottom five shot group was the second fired.

IMG_8239.jpg

I'll say that you're ready now for sure. Good luck in Arizona. I hope you mess up that bears day. :grin:

GB300wm":1cry7zm6 said:
I'll say that you're ready now for sure. Good luck in Arizona. I hope you mess up that bears day. :grin:

Thanks GB300wm, I hope I get a shot at him. Yes, I believe my 358 is ready and my loads are shooting good (once I foul the bore) :grin:

Nice shooting bullet!
You are set. Good luck on the bear hunt.

JD338

Mike,

There should be bear ribs for the barbeque shortly. Best of luck as you hunt that fine bruin.

I've killed 23 bears with BLR AND 250 GRN BULLETS it really slams them down. 8)

IMR4895, IMR4064 and Varget work well with the 225gr bullet and Varget gave the highest velocities.

Here is my 300Wby which will be my back up if anything happens to my 358Win while climbing in those mountains on my first hunt.

IMG_6462-1.jpg

Back