.375" 260 gr Nosler Accubond

I learned a long long time ago that shooting bullets in water filled milk jugs is way too hard of a media versus thin skin game. It's closer to shooting into a brick wall than it is an animal in my opinion. Its f un to do just to catch your bullets for show and tell...but thats about all water jugs IMO are good for. I used to shoot intp water filled milk jugs when i first got into casting bullets. I was testing my cast hollow point bullets with different alloys. Just when I thought I had the perfect( hard enough) alloy that went through seven jugs and was a perfect mushroom I went out deer hunting with it. I shot three deer the first day I that i hit the woods with it. The forst twp both acted exactly like the accubonds. My alloy choice was way too hard. It never expanded and poked bullet size diameter holes in and out. The first deer stood there at 25 yards and didn't even act like it was shot with a textbook heart and lung shot broadside. Started dripping blood down its fur standing there and another deer ran up and bumped it. The first one ran that I shot and went over a hundred yards before dropping with no blood. Second one stopped in the same place as the first. I shot it in the same place and it ran. It ran and dropped a 100 yards out. It was within 20 yards of the other one that was 120 yards away before it dropped over dead with no blood to follow either. The third one ( the last one in the grpup of 6) stopped right below my stand. I hit High shoulder and part of the backbone and that thing hit the ground at the shot and still didn't die for about a minute and a half. That was a Lyman Devastator out of my Ruger 7744 at 1850 ft per second. I switched over from that non expanding hollow point with a 15.4 Brunell hardness alloy to a super soft 7.5 hardness that was dowlladed to 1,600 ft per second the folllowing year with the same bullet. I shot 2 deer shoot with the softer hollow point going 200 fps slower. Both deer stagged and fell over within a coyple of steps at the shot with the same shot placment and distance. My point being the soft alloy only went through three milk jugs and flattened out the size of a penny. It also lost half its weight goung through the 3 jugs as well. They both blew through both deer with a quarter sized exit holes. They didn't expand anywhere near what the water jugs do going through white tail deer that's for sure. Imo that soft alloy that only went through 3 jugs would pass through 3 deer and keep going. There was a night and day difference when I feel dressed the deer with the different alloys. The heart alloy that made the perfect mushroom in seven jugs there was Zero trauma through the deer it looked like I just shoved a stick through them with a nice clean hole except for the one that got hit in the backbone. That one look like a grenade went off because all the bones shattered and went in 30 different directions. The bones acted like expanding shedding lead. Massive giant holes in the deer. The soft alloy there was tons of trauma with both deer just poking through the heart and the lungs exploded the lungs pretty good and part of the heart on each deer. I'm sure if you place a super hard bullet in just the right spot like a shoulder or backbone it's going to explode it if it's going super fast and still drop a deer in its tracks. I just don't prefer to aim for front shoulder shots and wreck a lot of meat when I don't have to I'd rather shoot a super soft bullet back by the heart and lungs and have it come apart and explode and dump tons of energy for a quick recovery if it even goes anywhere

Some guys love them some guys hate them. You hit them in the right spot with ANY bullet and it’s gong to kill anything you aim at. I just like a little bit more accurate bullet in my gun and they don’t prove accurate in mine and they also don’t expand like other people who are hsbe luck with them. I’ve had enough bad luck with them to turn me off that I won’t use them again. They kind of remind me of Barnes bullets and expanding broad heads. Sometimes they open sometimes they don’t. When they work like they were designed they kill very efficiently… just like any other broad head or bullet would. Almost like Ford versus Chevy to me.

Here’s an old post with photos of my too hard of Boolits. It didn’t expand in my Ruger 7744.

I can show you another example of how a soft alloy works and dumps deer on the spot.

Yes, these aren’t jacketed Boolits and they’re not bonded and they’re not occupants but it gives you an idea of how a bullet that comes apart very easily anchors deer versus one that does not.

Someday I hope to hunt mule deer with the 110 gr Accubonds at 3208 fps from my 25-06 Remington. SD for that load is 7 fps, and 100 yard groups measure .6 - .7" from the factory Rem 700.

The only AccuBond I've used while hunting was that 260 grain AccuBond from my 375 H&H on a few bears. Closest one at about 15 feet, farthest one at about 305 yards. The 305 yard hit was a pass through and the bear managed to drag itself a few yards, leaking badly before expiring. The 15' one was when I followed up a bear wounded by another hunter. Went into the brush and finally found it. Shot it at about 15' or so. Recovered that bullet hanging in the off-side hide, nicely expanded.

I like the AccuBond, but honestly haven't used that many of them while hunting. Usually went with the Ballistic Tip, the good ol' Partition, or back a few decades the Solid Base Nosler.

Regards, Guy

I’m sure that bullet would work awesome for a huge grizzly or anything else you’re trying to shoot from one to another! I’m jealous of that!!!..wish I’d been there. Did it , done it! I have some of those “zipedoes” I traded for along with a bunch of old screw style partitions that are still in the box in .243. They’re pretty cool. I wanna shoot them, but I don’t wanna burn them up. I’m probably better off to trade somebody for modern ones that collect the old boxes and bullets. Think I have a box of 75 grain Zipedo, and 85, 95, and a 100 grain screw in partitions.

I’m sure that bullet would work awesome for a huge grizzly or anything else you’re trying to shoot from one to another! I’m jealous of that!!!..wish I’d been there. Did it , done it! I have some of those “zipedoes” I traded for along with a bunch of old screw style partitions that are still in the box in .243. They’re pretty cool. I wanna shoot them, but I don’t wanna burn them up. I’m probably better off to trade somebody for modern ones that collect the old boxes and bullets. Think I have a box of 75 grain Zipedo, and 85, 95, and a 100 grain screw in partitions.

Seems like you've been using Noslers for a rather long time. Me too, as well as a bunch of other posters here on the Nosler forum. :)

I actually kept a couple of boxes of those old screw machine Partitions from the 1970's and got some more from someone else not too many years ago. I keep 'em around for the nostalgia now. Good memories.

Regards, Guy

Yep, I remember when the AccuBond first came out and Remington…or Nosler… showed a video shooting a huge grizzly bear with a 300 rum and 180 grain AccuBond in the drop tracks! I was all excited and figured I had to order them… until I tried them on deer that year. Ballistic tips are my favorites followed by the Partition and Partition golds. The only bonded bullet I’ve have great drop in their tracks performance and decent accuracy are the swift Scirrocco’s. After they took a giant price hike in the last decade and half I quit using them.

Last edited:
Back