.375 HH Blaser R8

CZ

Handloader
Jun 21, 2007
just started load development for a rifle that will be in an african trip very soon.
Blaser R8 cal. .375HH
Would appreciate any tips on this one, its the first time working with one, lets see how
would it perform.
tested imr4350 76gr with barnes 300gr tsx flatbase nothing to be proud of.

by the way its a kiker, its the one I have perceived the most recoil of a bunch I
have tested, short barrel, very lightweight, configuration of stock, and very thin recoil pad,
ouch.

Can't help much with the 375, but RL15 might be a good one. What about Nosler? Any reason you aren't trying them?

Beautiful rifle though. I really like them Blasers.. Work of art really. They have some slick actions!

SJB358":lk37hf55 said:
Can't help much with the 375, but RL15 might be a good one. What about Nosler? Any reason you aren't trying them?

Beautiful rifle though. I really like them Blasers.. Work of art really. They have some slick actions!

I will be trying imr 4064, maybe varget or similar, and for bullets.- Barnes TSX 300gr, Softs and Solids from Woodleigh.

The two loads that I settled on, and I borrowed these from gunwriter John Barsness, are:

69 grains RE-15 with the 260 gr Nosler AccuBond for 2620 fps and excellent accuracy

75 grains H4350 with almost any 300 gr bullet for about 2550 fps - varies a little by bullet

The RE-15/260 gr load is relatively mild to shoot, and very accurate. It's what I shot my bear with at a little over 300 yards. One shot, one bear. I've also used that same powder charge with a 270 gr Hornady, but I didn't chronograph it. Accurate though.

The second is a good all-around 300 gr bullet load that has performed well for me on the range in winter cold and summer heat. Not quite the great accuracy of the RE-15/260 gr load, but not half bad.

Yes, the 300 gr ammo kicks more. No doubt about it. If the rifle kicks a lot, consider trying the 260 gr Nosler Partitions or Accubonds over RE-15 instead of the 300 gr ammo. There is quite a difference in felt recoil.

Your rifle looks good. I have no experience with the Blaser rifles. Pachmayer Decelerator recoil pad makes my Ruger single shot rifle very easy to shoot.

Regards, Guy

Guy i was thinking imr 4064 or similar cause the short barrel the rifle has, have a supply of h4350, think will work much the same as imr4350, used in this loads 76gr of imr4350 with the
300gr Barnes TSX, will work loads with 4064 and 4350, lets see how does it perform.
It kiks like hell, a very very thin recoil pad, small barrel and very lightweight and every round is like a heavyweight boxer was pounding you.
For sure will work with the fast powders.
Tried to find the old Trophy bonded Bearclaws with no luck, have only a source for 150gr cal.30, if someone on the forum has or knows where will be appreciated.

IMR 4064 is long proven in the .375 H&H - I'm still shooting some ammo a friend of mine loaded with it. His ammo shoots very well for me.

Here's a photo of a 260 gr AccuBond I slammed into some water filled jugs at about 20 yards. Muzzle velocity was over 2600 fps. The bullet expanded well, penetrated deep and retained pretty good weight. Using that bullet on bear - well the bear didn't keep it. Complete penetration at 300 yards.
IMG_1395.jpg

There's some good info available in the .375 bullet test area of this site.

Am wondering - is it worthwhile to try to get your rifle to kick less - perhaps with a better recoil pad, lighter bullets and perhaps a muzzle brake, or is it better to go with a heavier .375 H&H rifle?

Out of curiosity - what game will you be after in Africa?

Guy

Guy Miner":3jfk46ky said:
IMR 4064 is long proven in the .375 H&H - I'm still shooting some ammo a friend of mine loaded with it. His ammo shoots very well for me.

Here's a photo of a 260 gr AccuBond I slammed into some water filled jugs at about 20 yards. Muzzle velocity was over 2600 fps. The bullet expanded well, penetrated deep and retained pretty good weight. Using that bullet on bear - well the bear didn't keep it. Complete penetration at 300 yards.
IMG_1395.jpg

There's some good info available in the .375 bullet test area of this site.

Am wondering - is it worthwhile to try to get your rifle to kick less - perhaps with a better recoil pad, lighter bullets and perhaps a muzzle brake, or is it better to go with a heavier .375 H&H rifle?

Out of curiosity - what game will you be after in Africa?

Guy

Guy the rifle should perform as expected, in a hunting situation that felt recoil will have no effect, but when youre trying to squezze groups the hole game changes, shots are accumulative.
Im not going nowhere, Im a whitetail hunter, maybe an elk or a bear, no affrica. this rifle is from a friend of mine as a .300 Win Mag that i will post latter, the agenda for him most of plains game, plus buffalo,leopard,hippo, and hope an elephant.

Get a Caldwell Lead Sled for your test shooting. Then final sight in with simple field rest. You will find the Lead Sled makes the playing with new loadings much nicer, but the point of impact can change when fired from the shoulder.

I am jealous of the R8, but I'd like the Professional model with .375 H&H barrel, .300 WM barrel and a synthetic stock. Not nearly as good looking as the wood version, but the synthetic stock tends to soften the recoil.

It will be nearly impossible to find any of the old TBBC bullets at this time. ATK couldn't sell them at what they cost to make, so they are not available to hand loaders. However, there are other options, as you have noted. I would favour the Partition over the TSX unless you can generate pretty good velocities, however. Sounds as if you friend will have a fascinating hunt.

I always loaded IMR 4350 for both 270 gr and 300 gr in my .375 H&H loads. These loads were accurate and pretty fast.

ridgewalker":1uzclrr9 said:
Get a Caldwell Lead Sled for your test shooting. Then final sight in with simple field rest. You will find the Lead Sled makes the playing with new loadings much nicer, but the point of impact can change when fired from the shoulder.

I am jealous of the R8, but I'd like the Professional model with .375 H&H barrel, .300 WM barrel and a synthetic stock. Not nearly as good looking as the wood version, but the synthetic stock tends to soften the recoil.

I was looking at a Blaser in 300 RUM and think it was the Professional? What a cool rifle! Just couldn't get over the price tag.

Back