375 Ruger Reduced Loads for deer and black bear Hunting

shortstuf92

Beginner
Dec 25, 2023
9
12
I have a couple of 375 Ruger rifles and would like to find a reduced load using either the 235 grain Speer bullet or the 270 grain Speer bullet. The reason is I would like to get more usage out of these rifles. I would like to get around 2500 to 2600 fps out of these bullets. Has anybody tried these or has any good load data to achieve this? Thanks
 
Maybe take a look at H4895 data. It can be downloaded to about whatever speed you want with little to no danger. No experience downloading that big Ruger case though.
 
The following site has load data you can buy for the 375 Ruger with Hdy 225 gr Sp bullets:
https://www.xxl-reloading.com/.375-Ruger-.375-225gr-Hornady-SP

The following will provide load data for the 375 Ruger with the Speer 235 gr Hot Cor:
https://reloadingdata.speer.com/downloads/speer/reloading-pdfs/rifle/375_Ruger_235.pdf
These loads are hotter than the Hdy loads.

Hope this gives you some starting points.

For a similar comparison:
I have a 376 Steyr (21" barrel; in a mannlicher stock), so less case capacity, but performance not far off from what you are looking for.
Hornady provided ammunition with the 225 gr load, but down loaded it to the same velocity as their 270 gr ammo (2600 fps), to try to match point of impact for both loads, in the event that someone wanted to shoot smaller species when opportunities presented themselves on hunts for larger species.
The lighter load produced 1.125" 5-shot groups at 100 yards. The 270 gr load, produced 0.625" groups at 2507 fps. Unfortunately, I do not recall if it matched poi, and I did not chrony that ammo.
I have not tried to load either the 225 gr Hdy or 235 gr Speer, as I stick to one load per rifle for hunting.

I also tried a load with H-335 and the Sierra 250 gr SBT, and got 1.250" groups at approx 2754 fps (sorry, did not chrony this load at the time).
I haven't hunted with either as I have a good load with H-335 and the 260 gr AccuBond, at 2632 fps and 0.535" groups, and a SD of 7. It has accounted for elk and bison so far with this load.
 
The following site has load data you can buy for the 375 Ruger with Hdy 225 gr Sp bullets:
https://www.xxl-reloading.com/.375-Ruger-.375-225gr-Hornady-SP

The following will provide load data for the 375 Ruger with the Speer 235 gr Hot Cor:
https://reloadingdata.speer.com/downloads/speer/reloading-pdfs/rifle/375_Ruger_235.pdf
These loads are hotter than the Hdy loads.

Hope this gives you some starting points.

For a similar comparison:
I have a 376 Steyr (21" barrel; in a mannlicher stock), so less case capacity, but performance not far off from what you are looking for.
Hornady provided ammunition with the 225 gr load, but down loaded it to the same velocity as their 270 gr ammo (2600 fps), to try to match point of impact for both loads, in the event that someone wanted to shoot smaller species when opportunities presented themselves on hunts for larger species.
The lighter load produced 1.125" 5-shot groups at 100 yards. The 270 gr load, produced 0.625" groups at 2507 fps. Unfortunately, I do not recall if it matched poi, and I did not chrony that ammo.
I have not tried to load either the 225 gr Hdy or 235 gr Speer, as I stick to one load per rifle for hunting.

I also tried a load with H-335 and the Sierra 250 gr SBT, and got 1.250" groups at approx 2754 fps (sorry, did not chrony this load at the time).
I haven't hunted with either as I have a good load with H-335 and the 260 gr AccuBond, at 2632 fps and 0.535" groups, and a SD of 7. It has accounted for elk and bison so far with this load. wheelie life
I’m interested in trying a lighter 235-grain load in my .375 Ruger as well. When you tested the reduced loads in your 376 Steyr, did you notice any significant change in point of impact compared with your normal hunting load?
 
I’m interested in trying a lighter 235-grain load in my .375 Ruger as well. When you tested the reduced loads in your 376 Steyr, did you notice any significant change in point of impact compared with your normal hunting load?
As I said above, unfortunately I did not note poi, and cannot recall the shift between the two loads. I would have to shoot them again to verify.
 
I’m interested in trying a lighter 235-grain load in my .375 Ruger as well. When you tested the reduced loads in your 376 Steyr, did you notice any significant change in point of impact compared with your normal hunting load?
The math is pretty straightforward. Assuming a perfectly flat bore time of flight is your variable. Top velocity of a 375 ruger, 260 gr is around 2900 plus a little. Drop that to 2500 you’ll see 1/2 inch approximately more drop. Take that to 300 and the slower bullet will drop twice as far. Adding scope height and 100 yard zero can mess with how time of flight calculations, but in practice you may be able to be close to having the same poi at close range.
Time of flight does not account for barrel harmonics. As with everything shooting there is only one way to know for sure, you have to bust some caps. My 375 is particularly affected by harmonics and I’ve seen three or 4 inch shift where I expected about an inch due to the variables I’ve messed with. My 275 and 300HH don’t seem to care nearly as much shooting reduced loads.
I’ve only shot a couple of deer with the 375HH/300 gr and one elk. There was less meat damage on the deer than if I had shot them with a 6.5 creedmore and 140gr ballistic tips.
 
Here are a couple of loads. Groups shown are 100 yards. Load Data from the Lyman 50 manual.

One with 250 grain Sierra and a starting load of IMR 4350 for a velocity of about 2400 fps. The other shoots to about the same place, but to the right and is a slower cast bullet load. 285 gas checked with starting load of Reloder 7 at about 1700 FPS.

IMG_7524.jpeg
 
Back
Top