375RUM Draws Blood

Richracer1

Handloader
May 12, 2005
I went out this morning to see if I could find a hog. Well, no hogs but a coyote decided to grace me with it presence. It kept coming down a fence line straight toward me. It saw me move a little and made the mistake of turning broadside at about 80yds. Bang, flop, it got a 270gn Barnes TSX-FB for breakfast. Not my 1st animal I wanted to take with this particular rifle/caliber but none-the-less, its cherry is popped.

Sorry no pics.

Yeah, a 270 grain Barnes TSX at 80 yards would work on a coyote. Was there anything left for a picture?

DrMike":2de1jnld said:
Yeah, a 270 grain Barnes TSX at 80 yards would work on a coyote. Was there anything left for a picture?

No sign of the entry, but a decent exit. I didn't put much effort into evaluating the bullet performance. As for pics, I could/would have if I'd been packing my camera.

RR1,

I thought that rifle had a 5 MP camera built in? ;)

I admit to wanting to give that cartridge a try. How is the deer hunting around there? Worth applying for a tag?...thanks...jim

Thank God you were packing a stopping rifle adequate for the mighty Yote. I hear they can get cantankerous if provoked! Ha. That is pretty cool. What kind of speed are you getting out of the 375RUM with the 270's. Scotty

HunterJim":q390rtpm said:
RR1,

I admit to wanting to give that cartridge a try. How is the deer hunting around there? Worth applying for a tag?...thanks...jim

Well, I do not know about the public land around where I'm at, due to I only hunt on Vandenberg AFB.

beretzs":20jsur5z said:
Thank God you were packing a stopping rifle adequate for the mighty Yote. I hear they can get cantankerous if provoked! Ha. That is pretty cool. What kind of speed are you getting out of the 375RUM with the 270's. Scotty

I have no idea as I only did enough load developement to get a decent group with the Barnes. I do this so I can hunt with it (shoot a hog) in the "Condor Zone". When I do get a hog, the rifle is getting resighted for my 260AB load, which is right around 3000 fps.

POP":4xt901ji said:
Richracer1":4xt901ji said:
POP":4xt901ji said:
Sweet! I have got to get me one.

A yote with a large caliber rifle or a 375RUM? :lol:

both :lol:

Save your pennies POP. Remmy only offers this in the XCR and custom shop model ($$$$). Of course, you can always rebarrel another rifle to this caliber.

I love hearing tales like this.... All I can think about when I hear about some critter charging right in only to be taken with a small mortar round is an episode of South Park..."Look out, they're comin right for us...BLAM!!"

Gets me luaghing every time.

Richracer1":26m8yumy said:
HunterJim":26m8yumy said:
RR1,

Well, I do not know about the public land around where I'm at, due to I only hunt on Vandenberg AFB.

RR1,

I am retired military so I think I can get on the base if I jump thru the right hoops. I have hunted Camp Pendleton before...jim

HunterJim":2hb2bigq said:
Richracer1":2hb2bigq said:
HunterJim":2hb2bigq said:
RR1,

RR1,

I am retired military so I think I can get on the base if I jump thru the right hoops. I have hunted Camp Pendleton before...jim

Yes, you can hunt on VAFB being a retiree. Not to many hoops to jump through, more like filling the blocks.

Back