400 Whelen

houndsmules":1kvvsmpg said:
Great caliber, recoil is more of a push then a kick, Hawk makes good bullets, also swift makes bullets in .410 diameter

Welcome aboard, houndsmules. Always pleased to make the acquaintance of another rifle aficionado.

houndsmules":3dxv3aq5 said:
Great caliber, recoil is more of a push then a kick, Hawk makes good bullets, also swift makes bullets in .410 diameter
I had a 35 Whelen AI built instead which is more flexible for what I hunt.

I remember reading a friend's old book Keith wrote about his 400 Whelen. He liked it of course, but one elk season it was raining everyday, and he wrote that he and his hunting pardner "coated" their entire rifles with RIG! He said they fought rust like a demon, even with that RIG on them. I like reading of Keiths hunts as he was a survivor, and meat was very needed in his early days, that's why he wanted a bullet that would rim cut any animal from any angle...he had to have him! I took that mentality when I went to South Africa my first trip. I used the 250X @ 2600 out of my 35 WAI and I shot a few animals from really bad angles because a. I really wanted the trophy/experience and b. If he ran off, I still had to pay for him! ha. I only recovered 2 bullets that trip...both from going lengthwise on a zebra and a kudu. I learned a lot from Keith's writings about being a "game shot"...use the right gear and no problem. Use the wrong gear for the wrong shot...pain & suffering for the animal ( never good) and anguish for a sportsman. I'm not talking about a "Texas Heart Shot" ( I still think this should be a D.C Heart shot...right up the keister!) but a very hard angling shot...Keith called it a "raking shot". Take your time in a hurry and you get the game...try to get "perfect" with sight picture, hold, and eat tag soup! ha

Soooooo.......A friend just hooked me up with a 1903A3 sporter he got at an estate auction.

$90 out the door.

This whole idea may become more real than I thought.... ;)

And now I'm in Google Land up to my eye balls in 400 Whelen, 400 Hawk, 375 Whelen, and 375 Hawk Scoville links.

This could be fun. And expensive.

I recall reading the negative comments about the 400 Whelen in Cartridges of the World many years ago.
Glad to read this article and learn the truth about the cartridge! And more info about the 375 Whelen.

So many cool cartridges spawned by the ol' 30-06 case! I do have an unfired left hand Sako L691 FS in 30-06 today. Beautiful rifle!
While I have never really been a big 06 fan, I really do like the 280 Rem and the 338-06! And own both!
And now also have a 9.3x62, which is a very close cousin.
Also like the 25-06 and the 35 Whelen; just haven't owned either to date.
While these (375 and 400) would be very cool cartridges, along with the 6.5-06, I do like cartridges that I can buy factory brass and/or ammo for a little easier than these wildcats. (Yes, I do have one wildcat, the 250AI, and did get properly headstamped brass from Quality Cartridge. This is enough for me)

In the end, I chose to go with the 376 Steyr over the 375 Whelen because it is a factory round, based on the shortened 9.3x64 case, albeit with limited supply and choices. I also chose to go with the 416 Taylor vs the 400 Whelen for the same reasons, and the fact that I can load it to perform on par with the grand old 416 Rigby and newer 416 Rem Mag. Or a reduced load more suitable for our North American game. While a magnum round and no longer commercially loaded for, it was loaded by A-Square at the time I got my first rifle chambered for it. Have acquired properly headstamped brass for it also from Quality Cartridge. My loads for it are on the milder side, with loads using the old 325 gr X Bullet at approx 2400 fps using W748 in my first custom rh Ruger rifle built by Ralf Martini (sorry did not chrony), and using the 350 gr TSX in my current lh custom Ruger built by RMR Rifles, at approx 2400 fps using Re-15 (sorry have not chronied this load yet either).

Tod I must say my decision to go with the 35 Whelen Ackely improved was not a disappointment and have been very impressed with it's performance on paper and on game.
A 375 Whelen Ackley improved would have been my next choice and most logical do to the bullet selection if I wanted to go larger.
The 338-06 AI was a close second choice to the 35 AI with lots of good bullets.
When I went to Montana I carried the 35 AI as much as I did the 338 Win.
The only reason I even bought the 338 Win was because of enablers here on this forum and I thought I needed a magnum for Elk not realizing the 35 AI is in all rights a magnum.
Not really sure I would want to mess with a 400 Whelen but then my interest have changed recently and have been playing with magnum spring Air Rifles.

tddeangelo, Some years ago I caught that same disease!

Had a pitted/shot-out worthless barrel on a nice 8mm Mauser.
Decided if I were to "change the engine",
I would find the biggest "engine" that would fit the action and bolt face.
Looked long and real hard at the 35, 375 and the 400 Whelens.
Ended up rebarreling to a 9.3x62 Mauser (286 gr bullet at 2,400+ fps).
Suggest you put this on your list of possibilities.

Thanks all! Love the ideas!

Add in the mix that I have a Model 70 in 35 Whelen.

I’d like to put a little space around that one with whatever I do with this new project.

I love the 400 Whelen idea, but I may be more a fan of the 375 Whelen just for bullet availability...?

Who knows at this point. This is not a right-away project, but I like to daydream for a bit before I get serious. Lol

truck driver":27rh2ti6 said:
Tod I must say my decision to go with the 35 Whelen Ackely improved was not a disappointment and have been very impressed with it's performance on paper and on game.
A 375 Whelen Ackley improved would have been my next choice and most logical do to the bullet selection if I wanted to go larger.
The 338-06 AI was a close second choice to the 35 AI with lots of good bullets.
When I went to Montana I carried the 35 AI as much as I did the 338 Win.
The only reason I even bought the 338 Win was because of enablers here on this forum and I thought I needed a magnum for Elk not realizing the 35 AI is in all rights a magnum.
Not really sure I would want to mess with a 400 Whelen but then my interest have changed recently and have been playing with magnum spring Air Rifles.

I may hit you up with an email about air rifles....because that's on my radar now, too.

I've been looking at the 375 Hawk Scovill too...that's an interesting one. Or maybe a more "mainstream" round in the 338-06...?

When I had my 30-06 M70 bored out, I was back and forth between the 338-06, 35 Whelen, ad 9.3x62. Ask me at different times and I had a different decision.

In the end, I went with the 35 Whelen just because. I can't really say I had much other reason than that.

But having done that, is the 338-06 or the 9.3x62 that much different? I dunno.

I've a bunch of reading ahead of me, for sure. I've thought about the 400 Whelen for a while...but there's a lot of cool stuff to look through on this.

I chose the 9.3x62 as the bigger than the 338-06, 35W.
I chose not to go with the 375W and 400W because
think either of these 2 calibers deserve a bigger case.

I like to think that If I need or want a "bigger" rifle,
It needs to be capable of shooting a 50% heavier bullet or
capable of shooting the same weight bullet 500 fps faster.

Using this thinking, If I already have a 35W.
I would be looking at a 416 Taylor or a 338 Lapua.

The "good" news is this is a long term project. Nothing I have to decide quickly.

I may go 9.3x62. I may go 338-06. I may go 375 Whelen.

I've just always felt the 400 Whelen is cool and something I'd enjoy having....so maybe it'll just come down to that. Who knows... ;)

I met a fellow with a 400 Whelen at the Safari Rifle Challenge in Libby, Montana last summer.

He's a great guy, and his rifle, as I recall, is a converted Springfield. He shot it well, and it was indeed a serious thumper.

I might be able to put you in contact with him if you'd like. We talked for a bit about the cartridge, he's quite knowledgeable and very much a rifleman.

Guy

Sounds like you're in for it now Tom.. I haven't stopped with the 400 thought at all. I have a LA Ruger that would be a good one for this as well.

Back