44 Rem Mag Mid Range Loads

JD338

Range Officer
Staff member
Nov 4, 2004
Looking for mid range loads for the 44 Rem Mag for my S&W 629's.
Looking to use 240 gr Hard Cast and JHP's but might consider using a 200 gr JHP.
What are your favorite loads?

JD338

Thanks Clearwater. I should have mentioned I have Titegroup, Unique, Accurate #9 and H110 on the shelf.
I'm not opposed t getting a different powder if needed.

JD338

I think We had this conversation last year. For light target loads, 10.5 gr Unique.i have some others,, but won’t be home for another week

Last edited:
I have made them with W296, which I understand is basically H110, and also with Blue Dot. I find that Blue Dot is a fair bit more difficult to measure, and seems to burn a bit dirtier. That said, I also find it works very well.

Think I'm at +/- 15 gr of Blue Dot with 240gr cast. Don't recall the 200 grain load offhand.

Thanks Clearwater. I should have mentioned I have Titegroup, Unique, Accurate #9 and H110 on the shelf.
I'm not opposed t getting a different powder if needed.

JD338
10 grains of Unique. More moderate load for Cast. Haven't found it to be particularly accurate, but I am not much of a pistol guy.

My Dad's deer hunting load was 20 grains of 2400 over a 240 cast hollow point. But that was an old ruger, I don't know if pressure would be an issue for a Smith.

Got some very nice results with Hodgdon's Titegroup powder. Both loads were accurate. The 6 grain charge was fun to shoot, with little recoil from the 629, and the 9 grain charge let me know that I was shooting a powerful handgun without beating me up.

1720663727242.png

Looking for mid range loads for the 44 Rem Mag for my S&W 629's.
Looking to use 240 gr Hard Cast and JHP's but might consider using a 200 gr JHP.
What are your favorite loads?

JD338
10 grains of Unique under any 240-250 grain bullet, jacketed or cast. It’s been a go to for years for me.

I’ve gone down to 7 grains as well. Anymore I just load 10 for the 44, 11 for the 480 Ruger and 12 for the 500 JRH. keeps it easy in my head.

Last edited:
10 grains of Unique under any 240-250 grain bullet, jacketed or cast. It’s been a go to for years for me.

I’ve gone down to 7 grains as well. Anymore I just load 10 for the 44, 11 for the 480 Ruger and 12 for the 500 JRH. keeps it easy in my head.
I loaded 10.5 unique with 240 lead, but have not shot it yet

That’ll be fine too. I need to check some speeds but they’re likely around 1050-1200 I’d guess.
That's what I'm looking for.
I've used Unique years ago with soft lead bullets, It shot well but was pretty dirty. Hopefully hard cast bullets with a higher charge weight will shoot cleaner.

New unique isn’t as dirty as the old stuff. This cleans up pretty quick. Pretty nice to shoot the wheel guns and not get busted up every trigger pull and a 250 grain hard cast won’t stay in a deer. At least not side to side.

Ya 8-10 grains of Unique and a 240 - 250 grain bullet is a classic!

I've used variations on that for probably 40 years or so. Always happy with the results. Just happened to be kinda long on Titegroup and curious about it. BTW, it also did GREAT in the 45 Colt.

Guy

Ya 8-10 grains of Unique and a 240 - 250 grain bullet is a classic!

I've used variations on that for probably 40 years or so. Always happy with the results. Just happened to be kinda long on Titegroup and curious about it. BTW, it also did GREAT in the 45 Colt.

Guy
I think you may have been the man that told me about it honestly.

New unique isn’t as dirty as the old stuff. This cleans up pretty quick. Pretty nice to shoot the wheel guns and not get busted up every trigger pull and a 250 grain hard cast won’t stay in a deer. At least not side to side.

I'm still working on an 8 pounder of the old stuff. It's dirty. About one step removed from charcoal or black powder... ;)

But it sure shoots good!

Guy

I tried Titegroup and it shot very well at 9.0 grs. Pretty much the same POI at 10.0 grs of Unique.
Both loads are fun to shoot in the 629 3".
Hard to tell but 3 shots of Titegroup went less than an inch at 20 yards. (Top hits, lighter gray in color).
My can of Unique is newer, around 2016, and does burn cleaner than what I remember back in the 80's.

JD338

Attachments

• IMG_20240712_094724.jpg
    IMG_20240712_094724.jpg
    384.4 KB · Views: 7
I tried Titegroup and it shot very well at 9.0 grs. Pretty much the same POI at 10.0 grs of Unique.
Both loads are fun to shoot in the 629 3".
Hard to tell but 3 shots of Titegroup went less than an inch at 20 yards. (Top hits, lighter gray in color).
My can of Unique is newer, around 2016, and does burn cleaner than what I remember back in the 80's.

JD338
Just looked at the powders available in town. Tightgroup was the cheapest on the shelf at $32. No Alliant to be found.

18 grains of 2400 240 grain xtp hard combination to beat ,I'm about out of 2400 bought some accurate #9 going to try and duplicate the 2400 load with it ..

Back