444 Marlin

Wouldn't want to be on the wrong end of that.

A 444 is something I thought about long and hard.
Couldn't convenience myself yet, but one day - too many options, too little money and time

I've had the please of shooting a couple of 444s and they are about as much fun as you can legally have in 49 states. Shot both a CVA and a Marlin "Dark" (Whatever that was supposed to mean) and both were great. Never shot anything living with one, but have shot a pork shoulder and you would not have guessed there had ever been a bone in it. Very impressive round.

Great looking rifle Scotty, chambered for a great cartridge.

Looks like the zero is still dead - on! :)

That's a power house right there. Looks like you are ready for anything in NA.

JD338

Broke out the 444 today. I found 5 rounds hiding in a drawer from some years back. Decided to check it for zero.

The shooter wasn’t as good as I remember but it was still zeroed.

After seeing this I had to run down to my gun case and make sure my 444 was still there, I swear you stole it. Scope and all else exact. Sure do like mine. Sub 1 groups with 280gr Swift A-frames at 2100 FPS.
Take care
Ed

After seeing this I had to run down to my gun case and make sure my 444 was still there, I swear you stole it. Scope and all else exact. Sure do like mine. Sub 1 groups with 280gr Swift A-frames at 2100 FPS.
Take care
Ed
I have a box of those as well Ed. May have to give them a shot and see how they group.

Found a 444SS with really pretty wood on it and sent off funds this morning. May even get a set of dies thrown into the deal.
Thinking that I would prefer the 265 gr loads...although the Swift 280 gr sounds interesting!

Anyone got some stories regarding on-game (bear, moose, etc.) performance with the different bullet weights?

I had one of those back in the 70s, bought it off a guy in the dorm who was out of money for school. Don’t remember why I got rid of it. Getting old sucks, I’ll probably be wondering what the hell I did with that rifle for the rest of the day! Yes, we used to be able to bring rifles and shotguns to our dorms. Hanging deer in the door rooms or showers was discouraged.

I had one of those back in the 70s, bought it off a guy in the dorm who was out of money for school. Don’t remember why I got rid of it. Getting old sucks, I’ll probably be wondering what the hell I did with that rifle for the rest of the day! Yes, we used to be able to bring rifles and shotguns to our dorms. Hanging deer in the door rooms or showers was discouraged.
Won't do that today because of all the idiot's.

About 6 years ago when I won a 1985 sbl 45-70 in a 4H raffle I talked to marlin CS about when to expect it. The CS person asked me if I was interested in a 444? I say "heck ya"! I still don't own 1, but would love to!

Looks good, man. I'm a little surprised you don't get bit by the scope, though. Maybe that.s just my experience with 1894s.

Back