44Mag Hunting load

roger1shot

Beginner
Jul 16, 2005
Hi
This is my first post ,but I have been reloading 7 mag Nolsers for many years.
Now I'm getting into hand gun hunting with a 44mag, and I was wanting to get a good load for deer hunting.
Thanks Everyone

roger,

Try the Nosler 250 gr PT.
I use this bullet with 21.0 grs of H110, W-W case, and a CCI 350 mag primer in my S&W 629 Classic with a Leupold M8 2X scope.
At 50 yds, I can shoot 1 hole groups if I do my part.
The 250 gr PT will handle any deer with no worries.

This load is in the Nosler #5 guide. It is a MAX LOAD so work up carefully.

Regards,

JD338

I had the handgun bug hit me a few years ago. I tend to stay w/ the regualr 240 gr. nosler bullets if you want more penetration try the 300 gr. I'm sure the new 250 Pt. is good if not great...I just stayed w/ the others and was/am very satisfied. I use H110 or W296 for powder.

I will agree with JD338. Same exact load I use. I am using them in assorted Ruger carbines. Excellent accuracy. As far as toughness goes they cannot be beat. My brother put one into a buffalo with a Ruger superblackhawk. He shot her broadside at about fifty yards through the lungs. The bullet was found under the hide on the offside. Perfect expansion no jacket separation and it only lost about ten grains. What more can you ask for after going through a 800 pound critter.

jd338, i also shoot a s/w 629 and would like to try your load out, any suggestions on o.a.l. for this load, i have the nosler #5 book, but no oal, what has been working for you. thanks

K101,

I load to the cannelure and put a good roll crimp on it.

Regards,

JD338

Great suggestions! You all are making me want to get some 44 Mag loads with my M29.

I used the 250gr Partition gold factory load in a Win 94 trails end carbine to shoot a 200lb black russsian boar. The shot was at 35yds and the pig dropped immediately, the bullet penetrated the cartiledge shield and was found under the skin on the off side. The bullet lost one petal, and the others were flat against the shank of the bullet, and it weighed 231grs, perfect performance.

Another good 44mag bullet is the Speer 270gr gold-dot, very accurate and bonded, at a good price.

I use the EXACT recipe as suggested by JD338 also. In fact, the most accurate gun I found for this load was a S&W model 629. Great combination!

Good luck!

Back