45 ACP small primer brass

wvbuckbuster

Handloader
Nov 5, 2015
Got some 45 ACP small primer brass and was wondering what others have found using this brass. Any difference in velocity or group size? Have you used the same load just changed primer size? Do or can you use less or more powder for a given load with the large primer brass? Thanks, Dan.

Used them in practice loads running 750fps and 230 CPRN. Standard primers (small and large) mixed brass. For that slow load not any appreicable difference. In hotter loads - maybe someone else has experience to report.

I just throw 'em away. When reloading a bucket of 45 brass, they just kinda get in the way.

I suppose I ought to start saving them in a separate bucket though. That would be the smart thing to do.

Sometimes I'm not so smart.

Interesting question really. I haven't loaded enough of them to form an opinion. Will be watching this thread.

Regards, Guy

I gave all my small primer 45acp in trade for 300wsm brass.

Good trade for me. He only loads small primers so he doesn’t need to change his Dillion over to large.

I only reload large bore pistol..

Any difference is minor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a 1000 once fired on the cheap mainly because I have a lot of small primers. They all go bang in Colts, Ruger’s, and XD’s. I’ve never gotten wrapped around the axle over ACP accuracy. If I miss a beer can sized target at 15-20 yards with a .45 I figure it’s the shooter not the ammo.

Good feedback. The brass was given to me and I have kept it separated from the large primer brass. Won't hurt to have on hand plus try out. Dan.

Like Guy, I throw them away. I have many 100’s of 45 ammo. I don’t need to mess with two primer sizes. I have shot them and noticed no difference, it would be pretty hard for me to see much of a difference. Sort them and shoot them, nothing wrong with them .

I may be wrong on this but I believe the small primer used was for health reasons. I think it was designed to eliminate lead in the primer and have a much cleaner ignition. It is still being manufactured and is supposed to be very good for the purposes of indoor shooting.

diverdown":sbhj9j4g said:
I may be wrong on this but I believe the small primer used was for health reasons. I think it was designed to eliminate lead in the primer and have a much cleaner ignition. It is still being manufactured and is supposed to be very good for the purposes of indoor shooting.
I read that as well.

My understanding matches diverdown and gbflyer. These are usually Federal and had non-toxic primers with non-lead bullets. I was saving them, but they are so few and far between I just toss them now. They jam the primer seating process pretty good and are therefore dangerous in my simple opinion.

Pick one and stick with it is my suggestion for what it is worth.

Back