45 Colt and 800X powder needing Quickload

Doc.Holliday

Beginner
Jan 11, 2013
Good Day
With all the recent shortages I ended up purchasing some 800X powder for both my 45 colt chambered Rossi 92 with a 16 inch barrel and ruger revolver with a 7 inch barrel
I have got a bit of information off the IMR site for standard loads. I would like to know how heavy I can go for around 27 K . with a 250 grain bullet. Remington brass and Fed Lg Pistol Primers
I am thinking that this big flake powder probably don't work the best in most powder throwers but I don't mind scooping if necessary.
If anyone can run some Quickload advice for me I would be most appreciative.
Respectfully

Doc.

Doc, I don't have Quickload here right now, but I imagine one of the good folks will be along shortly.

Are you the same from Marlin Owners?

Either way, welcome aboard. This is a great place as well!

My copy of QL does not list pistol powders. Unfortunately, that precludes assisting you. Nevertheless, welcome aboard.

Thank-you kindly for the welcome fellows. I understand that 800x was one of Ken Waters favorites in 45 colt.
Hornady # 26 goes up to 14 grains but I am thinking that is a compressed load.
I tried 12 grains and was almost to the base of the bullet.

Doc.

My recollections of 800X are as a midrange .45 Colt powder for CAS shooting. Hodgdon makes 800X but they only show mid range loads up to 250 grain bullets at about 800 fps. It would work great for that though since pistol powders are so hard to find. Go to Hodgdon Reloading Center for more information on loads and calibers.

Back