.450 Marlin

Greg Nolan

Handloader
Nov 25, 2004
I brought up a question in Backup gun for elk that brought up another question. I bought a Win. Mod. 94 Timber in .450 Marlin has anybody shot a elk or deer with the .450 or equivelent 45-70 loads. What bullet and what where the results on the animals?
Thanks for any help!
Greg

Speaking from a hot 45-70 load standpoing. Can be devistating on smaller deer. My dad took a quartering to shot on a blacktail buck a few years back and we named it the shoebox deer. The cut and wrapped meat barely filled a shoe box, the rest was mush and bloodshot. Great elk load for close encounters. It does a good job anchoring them. We've put down a couple of elk with the hot 45-70 loads.

Thanks MSHAFFER !
Sounds like plenty of power for elk. I guess I'll shy away from deer though. If I get lucky this year I'll try and post a picture or at least a post on the results. I'm kind of new to this digital camera stuff but I'm learning.
Thanks again for the reply
Greg

I haven't seen that much meat damage on deer. I normally go with a 405gr JSP at 1950fps. For practice and deer I use Rem JSP and for big game I shoot kodiak bonded JSP. Plenty of power for anything that you might find in north america.

350 Hornady....54 gr RL 7 2100 fps and 1 hole at 50 yds from my Marlin

Back