.454 casull

Adam454

Beginner
Apr 14, 2008
I am a bit new to the whole reloading bit so please bare with me if I use incorrect terms, but I am learning quickly. I have the best teacher around.

I have recently bought a .454 Casull Raging Bull with a 6.5 Inch barrel:
454.jpg
(sorry, but the picture is a bit big for the forum boards)

In the short time that I have had it I have managed to shoot 35 MagTech factory bullets and 30 of rounds that a friend and I reloaded. The rounds that he and I reloaded are more comfortable to shoot but there is a problem with what we did. We used 15grs of Winchester 540, which if I remember correctly, is a discontinued power.

Here is what the load looks like on paper:

Powder: 15grs of Win 540
Primer: Federal 205M
Bullet: Horady 230gr HP/XTP
COAL: 1.750

We did not set up the chronograph that day.

Over all I really liked the round. It was very controllable and comfortable to shoot. Also, comparing to the MagTech factory loads, they were a lot quieter. With this round I was able to hit a steel boar target at 70 yards and a mountain goat at 200 yards (though I never could reproduce the mountain goat shot and no one saw it happen, but it did happen.... once).

What I am looking for is a replacement powder that you guys might recommend, also any and all loads that you have had success with.

Thanks.

I am using max load of H110 with a 300gr XTP. Very stout load, may not be what you are looking for. No reduced loads with h110.

tpbscha":3b2dqj74 said:
I am using max load of H110 with a 300gr XTP. Very stout load, may not be what you are looking for. No reduced loads with h110.

I am just looking for loads reduced or not. I am not afraid of the hotter rounds either.

With these loads, what do you use them for (Hunting, target shooting, plinking, ect...)

I have a friend with a Ruger Super Redhawk 454.......He exclusively uses the H110 & gets the best results. However, with that powder, make sure you keep your loads near or at maximum. No less than 2% under maximum!.............Great stuff, the H110 for the 454 Casull....BTW! How`s the recoil on that Taurus w/ the brake?

Big Squeeze":28a6a02v said:
I have a friend with a Ruger Super Redhawk 454.......He exclusively uses the H110 & gets the best results. However, with that powder, make sure you keep your loads near or at maximum. No less than 2% under maximum!.............Great stuff, the H110 for the 454 Casull....BTW! How`s the recoil on that Taurus w/ the brake?

The .454 MagTech factory loads felt like .44 magnums. Well i should say that it felt like my friends .44 magnum (i want to say that it was a Smith and Wesson). But I think that the mag ports (i think that is what they are called) play a very key part in recoil reduction, or people are grossly over estimating the recoil of the 454.

Thats two recommendations for the H110. I might have to pick some of that up. Thanks guys.

Adam454

I've been loading for the .454 since the early eighties and these are my favorite loads. I shoot a USA Seville with a 6' barrel.

I use CCI 350 Large pistol magnum primers in NAA (North America Arms) brass.

300gr: 32 gr. WW296 = 1700 fps

240gr: 37 gr. WW296 = 1800 fps

225gr: 38 gr. WW296 = 1900 fps

Good luck on your loading.

Elkhunt :grin:

Adam welcome to the forum!!!!
8)

Hey fellas I would like you all to welcome Adam to the forum. He is a co-worker of mine and a very good guy. Additionally he is my shooting/handloading protoge'. I am trying to teach him everything I can on the subject. This is very easy because of his exuberant enthusiasm on the subject.

The above load listed by Adam were built by us on my press just as a plinking round and to avoid breaking our wrists :wink: while evaluating the pistol.

Quickload shows:

Cartridge : .454 Casull Magnum (CIP)
Bullet : .451, 230, Hornady HP/XTP 45160
Cartridge O.A.L. L6: 1.750 inch or 44.45 mm
Barrel Length : 5.0 inch or 127.0 mm
Powder : Winchester 540

Step Fill. Charge Vel. Energy Pmax Pmuz Prop.Burnt B_Time
% % Grains fps ft.lbs psi psi % ms
+00.0 44 15.00 1146 671 21977 7505 98.1 0.597

As you can see 1150 fps and 22K psi...mild , really mild. Felt like shooting hardball from a 45 ACP.

Anyway again welcome Adam.

BTW I fixed your picture. :p

POP and I made some hot rounds for the .454 the other day. We use 32grs of some powder (i know that doesn't help much but i left my book over at Pop's house where i have written down all the loads we have made). But if the weather cooperates i will bring my video camera and we will see how it all works out.

Adam454

Welcome to the forum. You are fortunate to be blessed by the Greek Guru of the Reloading bench. :wink:

JD338

Pop would make great teacher and with that quick load at his side the posibilities are endless :grin:

JD338":2g2ckzz5 said:
Adam454

Welcome to the forum. You are fortunate to be blessed by the Greek Guru of the Reloading bench. :wink:

JD338

Awwwww! You guys!! :oops:

He also offers some of the best lunches around. Hey Pop you need to upload some of those pictures you keep sending to Skutty.

Back