.458 300 Partition?? Found some now need data.

10gaugemag

Beginner
Jan 18, 2016
Looking for the load data for a 45-70 and 300 grain Partition.

My manuals must be on both sides of manufacture for this bullet as one has no 45-70 data and the other just has the BT.

It would be much appreciated if somebody could help me out.

Any 1 powder to try before rounding up something I don't really need?

Have Benchmark on the shelf right now.

10gaugemag":2jtd4eeb said:
Looking for the load data for a 45-70 and 300 grain Partition.

My manuals must be on both sides of manufacture for this bullet as one has no 45-70 data and the other just has the BT.

It would be much appreciated if somebody could help me out.

Any 1 powder to try before rounding up something I don't really need?

Have Benchmark on the shelf right now.

I use RL7 for the 300's. The Nosler Partition shoots to the same point of impact as any of the other 300 grain Bullets in my 45-70. That is my favorite 45-70 bullet, hands down. It's a serious crusher.

Awesome bullet. Accurate with some serious penetration.
You can use the 300 gr BT load data for the PT.
I'm using 59.0 grs H322 and getting 2100 fps with sub MOA accuracy.
Serious horsepower.

JD338

I think I read on Marlin Owners that you wanted to use those for deer. They will most assuredly work for deer! :)

But they'll also work great for much larger, heavier game. One of the premier hunting bullets for the .45/70, and perhaps you'd consider setting them aside for an elk or bear hunt someday? Just a thought. They were discontinued several years ago, and are difficult to find. You could probably even find a buyer for them easily here or on Marlin Owners.

Pretty much anything from a .45/70 will clobber a deer very nicely.

Regards, Guy

Guy Miner":h4anh7hm said:
I think I read on Marlin Owners that you wanted to use those for deer. They will most assuredly work for deer! :)

But they'll also work great for much larger, heavier game. One of the premier hunting bullets for the .45/70, and perhaps you'd consider setting them aside for an elk or bear hunt someday? Just a thought. They were discontinued several years ago, and are difficult to find. You could probably even find a buyer for them easily here or on Marlin Owners.

Pretty much anything from a .45/70 will clobber a deer very nicely.

Regards, Guy
You read correctly. Actually did think about working up a load with some and maybe kill a few deer then set aside in case I do get to go on an elk hunting trip in timber.

Hoping to buy a few more too. May look at another 300-350 grain bullet for deer. Had thought about a cast bullet of some type for deer as well.

No way I'd use the 300 PT on whitetail deer.

If I wanted a serious 300gr HP I'd use the Speer Uni-core, it's quite the bullet.

If I wanted a 350 I'd use the Hornady 350 FP. I've killed quite a few deer with the 350 FP, it's a crusher.

HeathSexton":2hjuuvif said:

If I wanted a serious 300gr HP I'd use the Speer Uni-core, it's quite the bullet.

If I wanted a 350 I'd use the Hornady 350 FP. I've killed quite a few deer with the 350 FP, it's a crusher.

I used to wanna hold out with my stash of 300 PPTs, now I figure I just need to load them and hunt em.. if i shoot them I'll try out the Northforks or the Speers some more.

Well, true. There are some really good .45/70 hunting bullets...

Swift A-Frame, and the surprising 350 gr Flat Nose Hornady if it's still available.

Guy

I know you guys are correct, but I'd be stingy and hold out hope that a roving band of elk or an entire herd of moose would invade East TN and I would have to load up my 300gr PT's to save the state with my little Guide Gun.

HeathSexton":vv3rmpjz said:
I know you guys are correct, but I'd be stingy and hold out hope that a roving band of elk or an entire herd of moose would invade East TN and I would have to load up my 300gr PT's to save the state with my little Guide Gun.

I'm with you there Heath. I've held onto about 300 of them... figure I can work up with the Hornady 300 and use 20-30 of them for random deer and such :mrgreen:

Guy Miner":1ajb3x49 said:
Well, true. There are some really good .45/70 hunting bullets...

Swift A-Frame, and the surprising 350 gr Flat Nose Hornady if it's still available.

Guy
Guy I was just going through an old thread where you had pics of the A-Frame and the Hornady FP. That FP looks like a good bullet and have read a bit about it too.

I have no recovered bullet pics because I've never caught one I do have a target pic though.

Hornady 350 FP
59.0grs H4895
WW Brass
CCI200

3 shots @ 75yds with a 2.5x Leupold from my 1895G

HeathSexton":2nlw8dnt said:

Lung shooter or try for bone?

I've managed to strike bone with all the 350's either one shoulder or both. Meat damage has been minimal, tracking has been basically bang/flop. I think I've read that they will expand down to 1400fps, but I could easily be mistaken. If they will expand that low I would think they would work on lungs but I can't say for sure.

The 300gr Speer is just as tough as the 350 Hornady. If you're a lung man the 300 Hornady is tough but not as tough as it's 350gr brother or 1st cousin the 300gr Speer.

Velocity from the 350gr Hornady with the 59gr H4895 load is 1922fps.

FWIW, the 300 gr BST puts the smack on deer very nicely.

JD338

JD338":3f61vaxd said:
FWIW, the 300 gr BST puts the smack on deer very nicely.

JD338
I have seen a few posts about that. Would definitely be a large bullet after expansion.

Back