.50 Cal. load

spires5d

Beginner
Jan 22, 2007
I have a Traditions .50 Cal. Hawken and I load it with 100 grains of Pyrodex.My question is ,if I load it with a pre-lubed patch and a round ball for the next 2 months during deer season and I don't shoot it at a deer,then will my gun still fire off at the end of the season? If not then should I fire it off after each hunting trip?

Thanks for the help

2 months is kinda a long time....The most important thing is you want to keep the powder dry. If you can keep it outside in your garage or shed, it will be at ambient temperature. The worst thing you can do is bring it in a warm house after being in the cold as this will cause the metal to condensend. For storing for such a long period, be sure to put a "Loaded" tag on the gun to remind yourself as well as friends and family members. If you discharge the rifle, it will mean cleaning time each time, shortly after.

+1 to what yote said. I have left my ML loaded for a month and then fired it at the end of the season. I leave it in the barn or garage and do not bring it in the house so I don't have to worry about condensation. That is what you have to be careful of.
I alsoo use T/C Bore Butter and my barrels are seasoned. This coatong along with a saboted bullet make for a good seal to keep the elements out.

JD338

Antelope_Sniper":59awacc6 said:
Where I live in the city, I fire mine off everytime before returning to civilization.
me to,,, id rather have to clean it than to take a chance on something going very wrong,,,, wont the pre lubed patch contamenate the powder over time ???

Back