53 year old Model 70

pre6422hornet

Handloader
Jan 24, 2012
Okay you guys have known me for a while so it is no surprise that I love model 70's. Well a few weeks ago I was at the local Cabela's here in Kansas City and like I always do I strolled through the gun library drooling over the double rifles in 470NE, the Colt SAA's, Winchester 21's etc... I came to the Model 70 area and they had the two rifles that have been in there for ever... A pre war Carbine in 300 H&H for $13,000 ( marked down from $18,000), and a 30-06 Carbine that looked to have been dragged behind a truck a couple miles for around $3,000.

Wait.. what is that.... I opened the case and took her out. Standard rifle, Drilled bolt handle, hand cut checkering, completely original, two small safe dings, swivels, front hood sight intact, all the screws untouched, not a trace of ever had a scope mount installed. I asked to unlock it. I open the bolt.. HOLY SMOKES... there's grease still in the bolt lugs and the feed ramp is completely untouched. Bolt face looks pristine as does the bore, crown, trigger guard, floorplate. I am not a NRA condition expert at all but I would call this rifle 98% in completly original stock finish and blueing. The serial number put it at 1959 or 1960 as I could not remember exactly the cutoff.

Now you may ask " whats the big deal about a 243win pre 64 model 70 in Standard configuration?". There are only 4 other chamberings in a standard rifle that are rarer....300 sav, 35 rem, 7mm, and 250-3000. Winchester only made 6812 standards in 243 win out of the 43618 243's ever made. Furthermore, there were 343133 standard rifles produced so out of the grand total of standards, the 243win was only 1.9% of production. So while not as rare as a Supergrade Featherweight in .308, it is a rare specimen and in this condition is pretty cool to me. I really like the rare ones and this one is the first I have seen with my own eyes that was attainable.

I tried not to hide my excitemenet as I turned the price tag over to see a price that is about 1/2 of what this one is at

http://daverifflegunsales.com/wincheste ... rifle_1961

I hesitated, pointed out the safe dings and asked " any wiggle room on this price?" The guy looked in the computer and came back with " how about 200 off the tag price"... :shock: :shock:

Lets just say I didn't walk out emptyhanded!!

Oh BTW it is a Nov 1960 production that wears a hand cut checkered stock. This was during Winchesters clean up years where if they found older stocks that were hand cut they would use them. Here she is being welcomed by the 1949 .270 and the 1941 22hornet.

DSC01459_zps2b7d2bc8.jpg

Here are some glamour shots of her.

DSC01460_zps3324fe7c.jpg

DSC01462_zpsb0933502.jpg

DSC01463_zps8f225e4e.jpg

DSC01466_zps7f31031a.jpg

DSC01467_zpseb737578.jpg

DSC01468_zps2854541e.jpg

Now who has an extra couch I can sleep on while this one blows over??

Very nice! My grandfather had a pre-64 in 250-3000. My uncle got it when he passed away. Very nice rifle.
Steve

Congratulations! That is almost too good to be true. I'm pleased it has gone to a good home, Pat.

Sweet!
Nice pickup.
Darn Model 70s are kind of addictive.
Anyone want to bet a certain someone drools on their keyboard
Dewey

Holy smokes Pat! B E A U tiful! Man, that was a solid score and a perfect rifle! God I want a 243 like that. Congrats on that one buddy. I would have sold my soul to score that one as well.

Sweetheart of a rifle, and you got a great deal! Great collection you have there. It makes a guy wonder how much I coulda/shoulda bartered on past purchases... :eek:

501XXX that puts it at about 1960, they ended at 585XXX. Nice looking stock! Would be nice being hand checkered. I have owned a couple of the late pre-rifles that had the small checkering. I surely was not enamored of those. Finding a fully checkered rifle .243 from that era is amazing! Congratulations! I don't get out enough! :mrgreen:

The most rare Model 70 that I owned was a 1936, low four numbers, .250-3000 but it had been messed up! I had a four number Carbine also (.30-06) that went with my Mannlicher (.30-06) post-64, Model 70. Both 20 inch barrels. I really don't get out enough anymore?

Thanks guys!

I really do have an unhealthy obsession with M70's. I would really like to have a pre64 375H&H to round out the 4 rifle battery, but my Safari Classic will have to do for now.

Now to scope it. I think its time to break down and buy a new scope for it.

Pat

Fantastic find, congratulations.

I have a spare bed room you can use, make sure you bring the rifle.

JD338

Thanks for sharing.

Anyone who adores the pre-64 Winchester have a place in my heart.

My dream scenario is one day overhere in Denmark I walk into a a gunshop and find a prewar .300h&H or .375 H&H magnum Super Grade. I can find them in the US of A no problemo. It´s just a matter of flash cash. But to find one overhere lets say 200-500 USD would be possible because nobody ovehere execpt the "elect" knows nothing about anything regarding these rifles. One day it will standing there in the row along with all the other industrial designed injection molded rubber guns. :wink: :wink:

I wanna Winchester. Pre-win M70 or M1886.

Rigbymauser":1v6k8jlx said:
Thanks for sharing.

Anyone who adores the pre-64 Winchester have a place in my heart.

My dream scenario is one day overhere in Denmark I walk into a a gunshop and find a prewar .300h&H or .375 H&H magnum Super Grade. I can find them in the US of A no problemo. It´s just a matter of flash cash. But to find one overhere lets say 200-500 USD would be possible because nobody ovehere execpt the "elect" knows nothing about anything regarding these rifles. One day it will standing there in the row along with all the other industrial designed injection molded rubber guns. :wink: :wink:

I wanna Winchester. Pre-win M70 or M1886.

RM, your singing the song!

That would be nice...

Back