6.5/300WSM Load

longrangehunter

Handloader
Jun 19, 2011
I just finished breaking the barrel in on my Kimber 6.5/300 WSM Montana. The load seems to show some very good promise that I started with.

65.0 grains of Retumbo over a GM215M primer w/ a 140 grain GK .0125"-.0150" off the lands. I started at the .010" off, which seemed to show a stiff bolt upon opening and I was only in the 2990 fps range @ 20' from the muzzle. So I increased the bullet jump a little at a time, (every three shots). The last three @ .0150" showed no heavy bolt lift, and still produced a 1/2" group w/three shots, the 1st two were right on top of each other. Which was the norm throughout the development, 2-1 out from the other two. Not a lot of speed, but looking at the Hodgdon reloading data online, the 264 WM with the same powder and weight bullet doesn't produce a lot of speed either (3026 fps) and is shown using 1.5 grains less powder!

Funny thing is if you look at the 270 WSM data, and Retumbo with a 150 gr. bullet, the velocity isn't a whole lot faster (3071) and they're using 70.0 grains of powder. And a 160 gr. bullet will still accept up to 68.5 grains of powder at 2989 fps. So I feel like that's about it for the speed/weight/powder combo of this cartridge and barrel length, which is now only 24 1/2" when I had planed on having a 25" tube no real thanks to Shilen Rifles but oh well it wouldn't have made much of a difference any ways.

I now will start with new Winchester 270 WSM brass for the rest of the development, but honestly, with a hunting gun that may only get 600-750 rounds until the barrel is shot out, I may just test the load only another 25 times changing the seating depth and slight powder charge differences. Which would be 50 rounds fired through the gun until I settle with the final tune.

For some reason I can not get the web site to accept a photo! And I have before, it keeps saying its a invalid file name? And makes no difference what I call the jpg photo!

I haven't tried any 140 bullets in mine, but found Magpro to be the best powder for velocity and accuracy. This is in a 26" Brux barrel built on a M70 action. I'm not a speed freak either, but figure the barrel will be good for 1000 rounds if I don't push things too hard.

257 Ackley":16u0utc1 said:
I haven't tried any 140 bullets in mine, but found Magpro to be the best powder for velocity and accuracy. This is in a 26" Brux barrel built on a M70 action. I'm not a speed freak either, but figure the barrel will be good for 1000 rounds if I don't push things too hard.

Joel,

What barrel length do you have? Are you going to do a barrel reset when the time comes?

JD338

JD338":44lgy9ff said:
257 Ackley":44lgy9ff said:

Joel,

What barrel length do you have? Are you going to do a barrel reset when the time comes?

JD338
Jim -
It has a 26 inch barrel right now. I'm not sure what it will be in it's next life :roll:. The amount of time I am spending with it right now is making me think about selling it. Might need to see if there are any M70 guys on this forum :p .

I can only think of a couple....... :mrgreen:
One still has Big Green running through his veins, he just doesn't realize it. :shock: :wink:

JD338

257 Ackley":2ftjrxy8 said:
JD338":2ftjrxy8 said:
257 Ackley":2ftjrxy8 said:

Joel,

JD338
Jim -
It has a 26 inch barrel right now. I'm not sure what it will be in it's next life :roll:. The amount of time I am spending with it right now is making me think about selling it. Might need to see if there are any M70 guys on this forum :p .

Too bad it has a magnum bolt face and is a short action.

257 Ackley":6brqqqiq said:
Jim -

What is going on around here!!! :shock:

Man, I hope someone from here grabs it. That rifle shoots and man, what a screamer it is too. That is what I wanted to go with till I found my 264. It is just about the ultimate 264. Plus, the Winchester WSM action really lets you seat them long 264 bullets out pretty long. Maybe you need to kill something with it to resume your love for it!

Scotty -
I doubt it is going anywhere :lol: . I plan on taking it as my backup for the elk hunt in Montana this year. I am taking your advice and getting the Zeiss scope sent in to get the turrets put on so it will have exterior dials to use. That combo will make a decent LD deer rifle that can be humped around in the hills.

I am waiting for a set of rings and a pictinney rail to get here for it from Ken Farrell before it gets shot anymore. Need to play with the 140 PT and see if it will shoot that bullet, sometime this summer. I'm afraid it will need to be done before the 6.5X47 gets here or I will have to use the 130 grain Sirocco load that shoots so well.

Phew, I was kinda worried that you had lost your mind getting rid of that sweet rifle. You should give the 140 AB and PT's a try Joel. I wasn't exactly sold on the 140 AB's till I switched to RL25 in my 264WM. Now, I gotta be all kinds of shaky to make it shoot much larger than 3/4". It is very impressive at 3180 as well. You should be able to get all of that and maybe a little more with your rig and being able to seat them out a little. Gotta keep this 6.5 deal going, you started it!

Back