6.5 Swede Quickload request

Gun nut

Handloader
Jun 8, 2016
I tried out the Satterly 10 Round Load Development Ladder on three different powders for my new Barrett 6.5x55 Swede. Found three definite flat spots around 2,945 fps. I did not observe any pressure signs on the primer or bolt lift. But I would be interested in what Quickload shows. Is it possible to get an idea what I am working with even though this is a hand swaged bullet that probably isn't in Quickload? I would really appreciate it if someone would be so kind to run the numbers on these three loads, if possible.
Cartridge: 6.5x55 Swede
Rifle: Barrett Fieldcraft
Barrel length: 24 inches
Bullet: 135 gr. BIB Hollow Point, Boat Tail, Match Bullet
Brass: Lapua
Primer: CCI200
Load 1: 49.9 gr. Reloader 19 velocity was 2,945 fps
Load 2: 48.8 gr. Reloader 22 velocity was 2,943 fps
Load 3: 49.7 gr. Viht N560 velocity was 2,944 fps
Thanks,
Duane

Not near QL right now but danged if those don’t sound like great loads.

That Swede Fieldcraft is pretty interesting.

Scotty a little education please

is this bullet used only as a match bullet ?

Hi Europe. I will try to answer this question. The bullet is made by a member of our range. His name is Randy Robinett and he is a bench rest shooter. Randy makes match bullets commercially and they have become very popular. I like his 6mm bullets and this is my first experience with his 6.5 bullet. But knowing Randy I am fairly confident the 6.5s will perform very well. I am fairly certain these are made for match use but Randy could address that much better than I could. His contact information is bibrob@minburncomm.net
I know not a good answer but maybe Scotty has more experience with this bullet.
have a nice day.
Duane

No experience with them hear.

Still, it sounds like a heckuva load. Those little 6.5’s are popping up quite a lot lately.

Yup, they're habit forming. Bought my first one 2 years ago and now I own three of them...kind of addictive. Originally started looking at 6.5 CM, checked out the Swede, liked the numbers, and ended up buying the Swede. Probably wouldn't have considered the Swede if it hadn't been for our European friends and the complimentary Swede postings on this site. Been watching for an older Sako chambered in the Swede.

Back to the drawing board. Went to the range this morning and tried to shoot a five shot group at each powder's flat spot. I experienced excessive pressure (very tight bolt) with all three test loads and quit before I completed the five shot groups. Thanks M...Chicago for the "heads-up" on the pressure concern.

I plan on re-shooting the ladders with a lower charge starting point. Oh well, l enjoy shooting the Swede anyway.

If you can, find yourself some RL26. I posted up what I am getting from the 140 AB in my Swede. Doesn’t leave much on the table and it’s a fantastic shooting round. I do dig that Swede. :mrgreen:

Back