6mm-284

bobnob

Handloader
Nov 3, 2012
Hello Folks.

Just picked up a secondhand Vanguard Stainless - chambered in 6mm-284 in a 10 twist 24” bbl.

Anyone have experience with this round? There is a bit of data out there for it but not as much as some.

Ive been told 240Wby data can serve as a guide but I’m leery of that given the Weatherby freebore issue. Thoughts?

The rifle is in a nice Bell and Carlson Medalist stock and the whole package is in really good shape with a beautiful professionally worked trigger.

I arbitrarily picked out a load of 51g of H4831SC under a 87g Vmax to get an idea of the potential of the rifle and to sight her in. I blew one group with a shot pulled low, but at 125y with only one load tried I thought this was pretty encouraging...

QpCBLE.jpg

Also is anyone prepared to help me out with a Quickload analysis of this load or H4831SC / AR2213SC in ascending steps? Brass was Lapua and OAL was 2.825”. MV was about 3200fps which I figure is pretty mild?

In any case will take any advice anyone might have on loading and this round generally. Thanks.

I run 52.2 h4831 in mine w a 105 Berger for around 3140 or so. It’s a fairly warm load so work up to it. It’s very accurate.
Mines a 8 twist.
My reamer has quite a bit of freebore for the 105s. (.138) 26” barrel.
I would think the 87 in yours should run 3350-3400 with no issues.

Thanks Dwh,

I suspect my 10 twist may be a fail with the 105 long bullets. I’m thinking 87 Vmax for foxes, goats and so on and 80g TTSX for pigs and deer.

I’d battle to fit the 105s in the internal magazine anyway.

Appreciate the advice and insights!

I’d say the 87s should be real good.
Not necessarily pushing but Berger has a higher b.c. 87 gr hunting bullet that might let you stretch it out a little.

I had an 8-twist 6-06, which is nearly identical in case capacity to the 6-284 and I used 240 Wby data with zero issue. The 240 Wby does NOT have the long freebore of the other Wby cartridges, therefore doesn’t present any issue in your case when using it’s loading data. The 240’s freebore is only .169 compared to say a 257 Weatherby at .378. Additionally, the 6-284 has an ever so slightly larger case capacity than the 240, which provides for some margin when utilizing 240 Wby data.

I think the Hornady 105 HPBT will stabilize in a 10 twist Bob.

Never loaded for one but it seems like you’re in the right track. Ask away if you need something specifically.

Back