6mm AI

blm389

Beginner
Nov 20, 2010
New here to the forum. planning on building a 6mm AI on a long action in the next couple of months for rock chuck hunting. Needs some help with twist for 87gr. vmax. going to try a benchmark barrel on this build. Thanks

1:10 should do you fine I think.

Welcome to the forum.

So, what action barrel stock etc... :mrgreen:

Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you here.
A 1:10 twist is good up to the heavier weights.

JD338

If you're having it built... I'd go 1:9"... while the guys are correct... a 1:10" will handle the 87 VMax... if you go 1:9" you'll be able to run the longer pills like the 105 AMax and such, just incase you want to get into a little long range work. And, the extra twist won't hurt on the 87s...

Songdog is spot on if you're gonna play with longer heavier bullets like the 105 V-max and heavier Berger VLD's.
However this will preclude the use of lighter bullets.

POP":78p1qvg1 said:
Songdog is spot on if you're gonna play with longer heavier bullets like the 105 V-max and heavier Berger VLD's.
However this will preclude the use of lighter bullets.

My factory Remington Varmint Special in 6mm Rem had a 1:9" barrel... it shot the 55 NBTs into ragged holes... at 200 yards... at well over 4k... don't think the 1:9" twist will preclude the use of any 6mm pill... though going 1:10" will.

Side note... you should measure the twist in your new factory 6mm POP... I'm thinking it's probably 1:9".

I to am going to build a 6mm AI, someday. Have been doing a lot of reading about twist rates. From what I have read, most of the guys using it for long range squirrels are shooting the 75 gr. V-Max out of a 1:12 twist. I think they said they were getting 37-3800 fps out of a 27" barrel. If you are wanting to shoot the 87 gr, you will need at least a 1:10 twist. I like the 1:9 twist. It allows you to still shoot the small 55 gr, and will shoot most 105s. I like to shoot some of everything and don't want to be limited.

I agree with the thoughts on the 9" and 10" twist rates. But I have other thoughts as well,,, as it isn't always good thing to lock yourself into one way or bullet choice
I am curious however blm,,,, what are you looking at for max range for the most part?

onesonek":1m2fovqz said:
I agree with the thoughts on the 9" and 10" twist rates. But I have other thoughts as well,,, as it isn't always good thing to lock yourself into one way or bullet choice
I am curious however blm,,,, what are you looking at for max range for the most part?

That's my point on the 1:9" twist... it doesn't lock you into anything... and it allows the greatest range of bullet weights.

Yep songdog,,that is what I gathered and agreed with...I just would even go faster,, with a 7 or a 7.5" twist if he was planning on playing at a 1000 + yds. and shoot something like the 105 gr Nosler CC or have the capability for the 115's also. You loose some velocity, but they buck the wind nicely. While 9" may handle some 105's, it could be pushing it for some, and 8" would be better.....I do like the Nosler 105, but wished at times they made a 115
Personally in my 2 6mmAI I have one in a 12" twist that I will run 70 gr. NBT's in out to around 800 yds. Then I swtich to the 7.5" twist and the 115's for beyond that. I do use the 55 gr BT's alot also, but they get abit iffy is a breeze beyond 600,,, or I should say my hit percentage drops. I just dont use the middle weights much.

Dave

I'll stay with 10 twist for the 87 grain V-Max. You said the rifle will be use exclusively for rockchuck, so the 87 grain will be a perfect bullet for it. Yeah it's nice to have a faster twist so that you can utilize heavy bullet, but your not gonna have the velocity and besides, your shoulder will get numbed by the end of the day shooting those 105's. I have a 10 twist Shilen in my 6MM Remington and I use the 87 exclusively for everything. At 3300 fps, the 87 shoots flatter at 1K than my 300 Win Mag using the 180 grain bullet.

IMGP0506.jpg

Big thanks for all the info. leaning towards 1:10". Pop, parts list includes a long action 700 that has been blue printed, Manners -T for a stock, Seekins bottom metal and super sniper scope. For right now the barrel will be Benchmark #7

There you go!!!!!!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1-9" or 1-10" either one will work. I would lean towards the 1-9" as some have alluded to. I think both would work great for you though. Good luck as it sounds like a great project. :grin:

That would be a cool rifle. I have grown to have alot of respect for the 6mm's. They are nice deer rifles and good coyote killers! Scotty

Back