6MM Remington reloading

Aug 2, 2005
OK... I have a set of RCBS .243 Dies... and I read where Remington Rifles after 1958 are interchangeable with 6MM and .243 ammo...
But the parent cartridges aren't the same...are they?

I want to get set up to reload for the 6MM Rem 700 I just acquired...

I have lots of .243 Nosler bullets and some 6MM casings...

Don't I need a set of 6MM dies? Help on this one please!!! :oops:

Confused? :?

Totally different animals. The 243 is based on the 308 win. The 6mm rem is based on the 7x57 Mauser/257 Roberts. You will need 6mm rem dies !!!

The 6mm Rem is also known as the 244 Rem.

JD338

You have the correct components, but you'll need a set of 6mm/.244 dies.

And congratulations on a terrific cartridge!

True jd338 the initial offering was a 244 Remington this came with the 1-12 twist barrel which would not stabilise the heavier, longer bullets. Remington realised they were losing ground to the .243 as a result of the dual role the .243 with the 1-10 twist had for use on varmints and deer. Remington reintroduced the .244 as the 6mm Remington with a 1-10 twist barrel. The 6mm is a great round but its a bit long for a short action and a bit short for a long action. I did own a 6mm rem ackley in a single shot platform and loved it. I always thought a 6.5-6mm rem ackley would be awesome. the only draw back being you have very.few options in regards to brass.

I concur with all the replies.
The 6mm Rem. is an excellent round NH,,,,,you'll enjoy it I'm sure!

"I always thought a 6.5-6mm rem ackley would be awesome. the only draw back being you have very.few options in regards to brass."

I have one close to that thought, and it is "awesome".
I really don't really find brass all that limited as any 57mm brass will work. Also on a single shot, I even have mine setup to shoot 57R, with a quick change extractor. I neck down the the 7's, then turn the necks just enough to uniform them. But one could easily neck up the .257 Rob. as well as the 6mm Rem., none of which are hard to come by.
Dies are actually Redding's 6.5x.257Rob. AI, which gives slightly more case capacity than the 6mmAI necked up. But still, the 6mm brass could still be fireformed and used, as they are the same OAL. Just the neck is a tad longer on the 6mm. Shoulder is a tad farther forward on the .257.

(sorry, didn't mean to stray from the OP)

True, sorry let me recant my statement about the brass. if you are going through the trouble of necking down brass to use the better Norma brass I can understand. my statement was in regards to Remington and Winchester brass as to the limited aspect, meaning limiting the potential via low quality brass.

My first true varmint rifle was the Argentine Mauser 1909 chambered for 6MM Remington. I still have the rifle, although it hasn't been out of the safe for such a long time. The Douglas 10 twist barrel is still shooting really well. Shot a bunch of jacks, ground squirrels and crow with it using the 87 grain V-Max, 43 grains of IMR 4350 at 3300 fps.

Remington is famous for bad decisions in releasing new cartridges. The 6mm is just one of them. If they had done that one right from the get-go, the 6mm probably would have been far more successful. They screwed up on the .280 also. The .41 Mag should have been a roaring success also, but the first ammo offerings poisoned its future also. Too bad.

usmc 89":2jba6wsq said:
True, sorry let me recant my statement about the brass. if you are going through the trouble of necking down brass to use the better Norma brass I can understand. my statement was in regards to Remington and Winchester brass as to the limited aspect, meaning limiting the potential via low quality brass.

Ah ok, I understand where you are comming from now, and do not totally disagree. I happen to use Norma 7x57R with this 6.5 the most. However that brass isn't totally without issue itself. I need to play some with the rimless option as of yet.
As to my two 6mmAI's, I use Rem. brass. Neck uniforming for me is a necessity due to tight tolerence's. While brass quality is indeed important, more than not I believe it all starts with the chamber, and without a uniform neck/release all else is secondary, more so in a somewhat roomy chamber and throat imo. Uniforming the neck is the first thing I do with everything, regardless of chambering. I can still get ES down in the single digits, and excellent accuracy with the Rem brass.
The lower quality brass can be made uniform and to shoot, by skinning the cat one way or another. Cost ends up roughly the same, just prep time varies. One just needs to work with what limited options are there sometimes. Not all comes easy, but that is part of the fun and challenge for me also, even though prep can be tedious at times.
However with all that said, if Lapua made 6mm Rem. or 57 brass, I would be using it.

Tom,

I think the 95 gr or 100 gr PT would make for a great big woods bullet in the 6mm Rem. The 90 gr AB would also work well too on those big UP bucks.

JD338

RiverRider":3re06q37 said:
Remington is famous for bad decisions in releasing new cartridges. The 6mm is just one of them. If they had done that one right from the get-go, the 6mm probably would have been far more successful. They screwed up on the .280 also. The .41 Mag should have been a roaring success also, but the first ammo offerings poisoned its future also. Too bad.

not to rip on Remington anymore but I agree, the 260 being another shining example, I am not sure but I think a 120 g AccuBond was the flagship bullet for that release. I am glad someone saw the potential and ran with it.
Looks like its doing just fine now.

usmc 89":vbqv4jzm said:
RiverRider":vbqv4jzm said:

not to rip on Remington anymore but I agree, the 260 being another shining example, I am not sure but I think a 120 g AccuBond was the flagship bullet for that release. I am glad someone saw the potential and ran with it.
Looks like its doing just fine now.

Thats because the Mkgt folks at Remington think speeds sells. Look at the 7mm RUM and a 140 gr bullet. If I am not mistaken, the 160 gr loads came after the initial offering of 140 grs.

JD338

You'll like that 6mm on those Whitetails. Try the 90 gr Accubonds, I havent put them on a deer yet but I dont expect they will under preform. 58 gr Vmax are awesome for Coyotes, varmints or just target shooting, the 70 gr Nosler BT also shoot great. Good luck, you will love the 6mm cartridge - you probably just found your new favorite rifle without knowing it.

FLAT BOLT":1o8hx3at said:
You'll like that 6mm on those Whitetails. Try the 90 gr Accubonds, I havent put them on a deer yet but I dont expect they will under preform. 58 gr Vmax are awesome for Coyotes, varmints or just target shooting, the 70 gr Nosler BT also shoot great. Good luck, you will love the 6mm cartridge - you probably just found your new favorite rifle without knowing it.

How did the 90's shoot in your rifle Mike? I still wanna load up some to try in my boys 243.

Northwoods - have you loaded up any 6mm ammo yet?

Have had my very best results at the range, and on deer, with the 95 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip. Very accurate, and surprisingly strong. Has shown excellent penetration & expansion on mule deer.

On the other hand, there's not a thing wrong with the 100 gr Nosler Partition either...

Load either bullet over a max charge of RL-22, and you'll see 3,000+ fps, likely with good accuracy as well. Work up to that though, as with any max charge.

Looking forward to a range report and maybe even seeing a deer tag or two filled by the little old 6mm!

Regards, Guy

Scotty,

Lovin' the 90 gr Accubonds. Found a recipe that held 2 separate 3 round groups at 100 yards - tight enough to cover them with 1 dot on a shoot and see target. They have good speed +/- 3100 fps if I recall. I need to get out and stretch their legs and see how they perform, cant shoot all my deer with 58 gr Vmax bullets. Time to get some big boy bullets.

FLAT BOLT":1sun6d2h said:
Scotty,

Lovin' the 90 gr Accubonds. Found a recipe that held 2 separate 3 round groups at 100 yards - tight enough to cover them with 1 dot on a shoot and see target. They have good speed +/- 3100 fps if I recall. I need to get out and stretch their legs and see how they perform, cant shoot all my deer with 58 gr Vmax bullets. Time to get some big boy bullets.

From what I've seen with them on game with the 300 WSM of my son's and a buddies, and the testing I did on water jugs, I think the Accubonds will work very well for you on deer and antelope, and elk if you wanted to shoot one with it! They really hold together and mushroom up close and far away. Best of luck.

David

6mm Remington - I don't think I will shoot my Elk with those this year. Scotty is busting my chops cuz I dumped a Monster Mule Deer with a 58 gr Vmax from my 6mm a couple years ago, took 5 whole steps and piled up! Unbelievable performance from that little bullet, I did cut his heart in half so that helped. Yeah I am loading these 90's for Deer and Antelope...and if they perform well maybe some long range Rock Chucks. If you want to see that Buck ask Scotty or Woodycreek they would be happy to share the pictures and telling the story of that Buck :grin:

Back