7 Magnum and H1000

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
Loading up a new load for whitetails, I never used H1000 since its very temp stable, is it a good choice to use with the 162 A Max? ( found an old box on my shelf )
What velocity is it capable of average wise? Using it on my featherweight Sako M995 with 26 inch barrel #9 twist

H1000 was a "go to" powder whenever I was loading 160 grain bullets in the 7RM. I can't imagine you will achieve less velocity than 3000 fps.

I've never used H1000, but it certainly looks like a reasonable choice for the 7mm Rem Mag.

Guy

I would expect around 3000fps in a 26" factory chambered rifle. It might take a bit more than a manual suggests before you actually find pressure signs, but proceed with caution if you go beyond published load data.

Thanks guys, going to try it out in a couple of days with the chrono. Hopefully find a decent load before the end of the week for opening weekend.

H1000 is my go to in 7 and 300 mags. 68g with 162 AMAX is always a sweet spot in many 7 mags over the years. 2950fps give or take 25fps and 1/2 MOA. Killed my furthest bull elk with that combo at 1125 yards.

remingtonman_25_06":3c17mqgk said:
H1000 is my go to in 7 and 300 mags. 68g with 162 AMAX is always a sweet spot in many 7 mags over the years. 2950fps give or take 25fps and 1/2 MOA. Killed my furthest bull elk with that combo at 1125 yards.

Impressive! (y)

H1000 and 7 Mags are pretty danged good here as well. It’s one of the first ones I look at typically.

Tested the 7 Mag / H1000 this morning, seemed 68.7 grains / H1000 is exceptional velocity wise with an average of 3,025 fps with ES of 7 . I did 3 round groups of 67.5 - 69.1 grains in .4 increments and it seemed the groups got tighter once it approached maximum. I have not seen any pressure, but with this speed and accuracy of .5 MOA, give or take, is just fine for me for harvesting some deer this season.

IykkEjel.jpg

Excellent results and right on par with what I'd expect! I wouldn't be afraid to test one notch higher. My groups got tighter the more I pushed it. Absolutely nothing wrong with where you're at though...

TackDriver284":q0xjanba said:
Tested the 7 Mag / H1000 this morning, seemed 68.7 grains / H1000 is exceptional velocity wise with an average of 3,025 fps with ES of 7 . I did 3 round groups of 67.5 - 69.1 grains in .4 increments and it seemed the groups got tighter once it approached maximum. I have not seen any pressure, but with this speed and accuracy of .5 MOA, give or take, is just fine for me for harvesting some deer this season.

IykkEjel.jpg

It doesn't really get any better than this for a 7mm RM. Speed right where it should be for a 160 class bullet and excellent accuracy.

I'm pissed Hornady discontinued that bullet...Was my favorite 7mm bullet for targets and hunting. I've tried to buy all I can find since. I'm down to my last 10 boxes or so :( Its going to be my bullet for my 280 Rem now since I switched to the 180g ELDMs in my 7-300 Win Mag.

remingtonman_25_06":2jxwmb46 said:
I'm pissed Hornady discontinued that bullet...Was my favorite 7mm bullet for targets and hunting. I've tried to buy all I can find since. I'm down to my last 10 boxes or so :( Its going to be my bullet for my 280 Rem now since I switched to the 180g ELDMs in my 7-300 Win Mag.

Isn't the 162 gr ELD-M the same basic bullet other than the tip?

Perhaps...Thats what they claim anyway. But, myself and others still have our doubts. The .22 75g AMAX had a huge following as well, and theres been many who couldnt, or didnt get the 75g ELDM to shoot anywhere close to as good or consistently as the AMAX version. The tips and bearing surfaces are slightly different, alas a different shooting bullet...The AMAXs just flat out shot in anything, and were easy as pie to do so. I miss them haha.

Back