7 Mashburn Form Questions

Joel much better!

I had a feeling that your dies had been made to form cases from 300 H&H. Have to remember that this wildcat was born before there was a 300 Win Mag and 300 H&H was used to form the Mashburn originally. Pretty sure it was Bob Hagel who started using the 300 Win Mag to form the case after it was introduced.

I think my chamber was cut a bit "tight";my cases need a trip through the FL die after the trim die before they will chamber.

It is a very simple case to form.

Very nice Joel. Those look great. Can't wait to see you fire it up. I have a feeling you are going to love it.

SJB358":392n5q6a said:
Very nice Joel. Those look great. Can't wait to see you fire it up. I have a feeling you are going to love it.

Of course I will--it's a Remington!

joelkdouglas":3k1s75dr said:
SJB358":3k1s75dr said:

Of course I will--though I wish it was a Winchester!

Ouch! :roll: A palpable hit! However, fixed it for you. :lol:

You got to love him(DrMike). He hibernates till the right moment and then sends a zinger home when you least expect it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

DrMike":1w2an81k said:
joelkdouglas":1w2an81k said:
SJB358":1w2an81k said:

Of course I will--though I wish it was a Winchester!

Ouch! :roll: A palpable hit! However, fixed it for you. :lol:

I keep telly Scotty and Matt I'm going to put a Remington sticker on my pickup!

And they could retort...but then I remind them that Winchester moved assembly to Portugal. :(

But then again, there's room to argue the Model 70 hasn't been made since 1965 anyways. And I've never used a "true" Model 70. Maybe one day!

BF375":3f6yiywj said:
I am familiar with Joels rifle,a Rem 700 KS Mountain Rifle. It's a very good one! (y)

Matt did a lot of good work on that rifle. Found a good platform, chambered it well, even had a spare Lilja barrel contoured to match and chambered in case the first one gets burned out...

Then he sold it to me. Poor Matt!

He has too many rifles anyway...... :grin:

He discovered,,,as I did.....that keeping up with multiple wildcats is high maintenance.If you have too many some never get hunted in a serious way. To me "serious" is a decade of continuous use. :)

Dr Mike may like this Mashburn since it;s a M70...... (y)

20151220_132939.jpg

My 7 MSM is back from 1) a trip to Pac Nor for a new barrel and 2) a trip to Kampfeld Custom for a re-bed, repaint, and new recoil pad job. She is beautiful; I will get pictures up as soon as I can talk my wife into taking them.

But that's not the reason I updated this post. I had made some fireform rounds for the previous barrel specs, and none of them will chamber in the new chamber.

I remembered some one (I can't recall who!) mentioned using a Body Die to resize loaded ammunition. I removed the neck bushing from a Redding FL Type S die, lubed up a case that wouldn't fit in the new chamber, sized it just a very tiny bit, and now it chambers in the new rifle. So a thanks to the poster for that suggestion!

That's great info. My new one is just a touch tighter than my old with new cases. My loaded ammo does work though.

Looking forward to your pictures, Joel. Sounds like a neat rifle. Pac Nor sure did a great job on my 25-06.

Well, that son of a gun Bob was spot on. I was crushing cases every now and again with the FL die. Well, the form and trim dies are MAGICAL! Just formed 50 SIG 300 Win Mag cases and then neck sized them! Didn't crush or ruin a single case and they chamber PERFECT! Very darned happy. Cannot wait to send these downrange.

Scotty neck sized after the trim die? Do you mean you put them through a neck sizing only die after?

joelkdouglas":320uzlrf said:
Scotty neck sized after the trim die? Do you mean you put them through a neck sizing only die after?

Yes. I neck sized after. The trim die didn't have enough tension to hold a bullet.

Interesting. My trim die works fine to seat bullets after. Are you using your Forster press? I wonder if that makes a difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think brass thickness may be the difference Joel.

Now that I have the process down I am brave enough to form up all of the RWS brass I have. I wanted to make sure stuff was perfect before I touched it.

Back