7mm-08 & 100 Grain Bullet Loads

280SOLIDBASE

Beginner
Dec 25, 2007
Gentlemen,

I am leaning on a 7mm-08 for my 7 year old son to shoot/hunt with. He is only 5 now. I have a bunch of 100 gr..284 dia. bullets (Sierra and Hornady). I wanted to let him "burn" them up this coming spring with some light powder charges and these 100 gr. bullets and get him used to the recoil before bumping him up to 120 Gr. Nosler BT's and heavier powder charges for whitetails in 09.

The newest book I have that lists any loads for that bullet is a Hornady book that lists 40.1 Grains of IMR 4064 as a starting load. Does anyone have any other data for such a lightweight load? I'm not worried about driving tacks; just want the boy to get used to it. It lists a bunch of other powders, but I already have the IMR 4064. I'm not sure if that load would be satisfactory with what I wanted to do or if there was another powder that would give me even a lighter recoil with that bullet?

Thank You

You may want to look at H4895 as a powder. Hodgdon OKs reducing max loads by 60% with it. They also have some reduced "youth loads" at their web site. You could also give them a call and see what else they might offer, they have always been very helpful to me when I`ve called.

http://www.hodgdon.com/data/youth/index.php

Powerstroke....Here are the current rifle powders I have in stock:

IMR 4895
IMR 4320
IMR 3031
IMR 4064
IMR 4831
IMR 4350

W760
W748

H322
H335

AA2230

Reloader 22

The only powder of the lot that I currently really use in any
qty. is the IMR 4350. I still use a few of the other
powders but the weapons I use them for, I haven't
shot or had to reload for for 15 years.
Some of them were purchased for load
experimentation and I have no use for them
other than that as I haven't found a use for them.

My Sierra manual is so old that it doesn't even list the 7mm-08 yet!..lol

280SOLIDBASE

You have some good powders in your inventory.
I would suggest to you that you pick up 2-3 reloading books for cross reference. Then you can try most all of those powders.

JD338

280SOLIDBASE,

My book lists almost all those for the 7-08.

By all means I'd go hit the sights listed above as they ( hodgdon shows reduced recoil loads )

I've also had good luck calling Sierra for information.

For your hunting purposes I'd look at the 120gr B-tip.

If you want really reduced loads try Unique (10 grains or so).

Back