7mm-08 and 120 BT

rmarshall

Handloader
Mar 10, 2010
My boy and I have been doing some serious bullet testing for his 7-08, I looaded the ammo up and he did the shooting, shots were taken at 30 yards, velocity right at 3000 fps. This bullet is a great performer, we shot 3 bullets and got 4 jugs with each, an average weight retention of 61%, and expanded diameter of .571"s. We tested 3 bullets, the others were all heavier and this little baby out performed them all. All this was done for his science fair project, he placed 3rd and goes on to regionals, it was good fun and a great learning experience, all bullets were cup and core bullets.
This 120 is a great bullet, can't think I of a better bullet for deer sized game, the performance with the light recoil makes it even better.
image.jpg

That 120 is a tough little bugger. It's got the reputation to be very tough and work really well. Great testing and good shooting by the boy. That's my kinda project.

Congratulations to the both of you for doing such a great project.
Your son did some good shooting to keep the bullet in the jugs.
Yes, the 7mm 120 gr BT is a very tough bullet. Nicely done.

JD338

What a great science project!

That's the same bullet that my friends Steven & Storm used on our 2012 pronghorn & mule deer hunt with excellent success! Storm used the 7mm-08 and Steven used the .280, both with the 120's. I remain very impressed with the results from that little bullet.

Regards, Guy

I really like this bullet, thanks for the comments Guy, Scotty and JD. Now I need to buy more 120 bt's since they perform so well.

Look for posts on this board from "Bob in TX". He also used to hang on Texas predator posse (maybe still does). He has taken a truck load of stuff with the 7mm-08 and the 120 BT. If I recall correctly the 120 BT is the same Jacket as the 140 gr, just less weight and recoil with more velocity. :) :). I bought a 7mm-08 based partly on lots of folks success as related here and there. Again, if memory serves, Craig Boddingtons daughter took an Eland (or some other big African type antelope) with a 7mm-08. Pretty good recommendations. Glad its working for you. CL

Marshall, maybe I have misinterpreted your post and the photo, but it looks like the cup and core separated?

Was the 61% the total of the cup and core, or the core alone?

Not poo-pooing your test of course, its just some people get all bent if the cup and core don't stay together.

Bob, it's a great question to ask, while I would love to see them stay together, they of course did not, the weights are the cup and core together, we put them both( the lead and copper jacket)on a scale and weighed then together. Still a great bullet non the less. This little bullet would cause some serious damage.

Yes they are good bullets. I did some rigorous testing of the 130g BT against various others and the BT stacked up well. It held together even better than the Hotcor which has a real rep as a tough bullet.

Back