7mm-08 elk bullet.

powerstroke
I would have to say that that looks pretty impressive. I will have to load some of those up today and give them a try this weekend.

Its penitration you need on elk and thats momentum speed is fine but not at the cost bullet sufficent bullet weight remember its speed X mass and speed is always diminissing specialy once the the bullet hits flesh.

I would look at the 150gr Partition or AccuBond if I was using the 7mm08.

POP":p5tn919k said:
I would load the 150 e-tip for everything! From mice to moose, from 7mm-08 to the 7 rum.

jmad_81

I concur Pop's recommendation on the 150 gr E Tip in your bride's 7mm08.
Which elk species are you hunting?

JD338

Have they come out with a 7mm 150gr E-tip yet? If they have the would be ideal in my opinion as well.

I echo the recommendation for 47-49 gr or W-760 (mag primers) for the 140 gr AccuBond. My wife and I have used that load the last few years here in Mid-MO. Works great on big whitetail - we've killed 3 - 8 pointers with it. Both of our guns have 24" barrels and we are over 2950 fps.

I did read your question: "So on to my question . . . is a 140 gr AB goig to be enough bullet for elk or should I stick wih the 150 Partition (a 150 AB would be nice)? "

But by your answers and your wifes answers, in terms of how careful you are going to be in being certain that you will hit lungs, what difference is 10gr bullet weight really going to make? As I previously wrote, the guide in Darby Montana has been killing elk for 40 years with broadside shots throught the lungs with a 22-250!

roysclockgun- Good point! and I see were you are going with the less than ideal shots, and would have to agree with you that a bigger gun and bullet combo needs to be used.

Powerstroke- I tried the 48 gr. of IMR 4350 with the 120 gr. BT and got the same results that you showed. I got four under a half inch and the fifth went a little wide, but i'm still in the breaking in process so we'll see what happens. I was really suprised that I got that level of accuracy out of such a thin barrel.

jmad did write: "I was really suprised that I got that level of accuracy out of such a thin barrel."

IMO, if you always shoot from a cold bore, the thickness of the barrel makes no difference. When I zero a hunting rifle, I always take a number of rifles along, to the range. After each round, the hunting rifle is set aside to cool for 20 minutes or more.
Hopefully, we always make kills on the first shot, from a cold barrel. At the range, shooting fouling shots, through a hunting rifle, to warm up is probably a mistake. Lightweight barrels that are bedded correctly, should shoot the best groups when the barrels are allowed to cool between shots.

I've pulled alot of 6mm bullets out of elk I've killed with something bigger. As for hunting elk with a 22-250, just because you can do something, doesn't mean it's smart. That elk takes a half of a step, and that lung shot is now a gut shot, and your not using enough gun to get him slowed down. The next year, someone else will shoot that same elk with a REAL gun, and be picking those .224 bullets out of HIS steak.

LOL, I've heard tales of big moose taken with 25-20 win's. And I've heard of moose and elk taken with head shots from 22-250's. I would have to concur with Antelope sniper on the statement that going after elk with a 22-250 is not smart. No BS, it's not a great idea.

Elk with a 7mm-08 is do-able, although using 150-160grn bullets strikes me as the way to go. Based on the fact that I can't run 2750 FPS and the fact that the plan isn't to use it at extended ranges the 90-150 FPS you'll lose won't change trajectory to a noticable level.

This moose was taken at 150 yds, 1 shot to the lungs with a 280 rem, fedral fusion ammo. 140 grn I believe. He made it 20-30 yds after my brother shot it. A 280 is around 120-140 FPS faster tahn the 7-08. Not a big difference. That having been said I'm the recoil junkie/Magnum freak of the clan tho and use bigger than needed guns myself just cuz......it's cool 8)

IMG_0930.jpg

Darn I get longwinded.

[/img]

Just a few comments about the 22-250 killing elk, I have no doubt that it can be done I've heard my grandpa tell stories of people doing it with .22 shorts. It is all about bullet placement.
In oregon the LEGAL MINIMUM is .243, I personaly think it should be a little bigger but i'm like you jtoews80 and am the freak in my family as well because of my 338 and 375. I have killed more elk with arrows in them than I have bullets of any size. I have yet to have an elk get away or run off like nothing happened after being hit by a big gun, it is just flat out cool watching them get hit hard. But big guns aren't for everybody so thank you guys for all of your imput, support, questions, and ideas!! I don't have much experiance with guns this "small" so this has and will continue to be a learning experience for me.

Thanks again!!

jmad,

Good to hear about those results.
I'd have to agree slightly with the after post of that and the barrel getting a little warmer..... My M7 .260 will start walking the more I put through it.

My -08 Likes the upper end of the powder scale with the IMR-4350 and about any bullet I've put through it.
IMO ( and I'm the odd ball here ) I'd load the 140gr A-bonds and go elk hunting !

jtoews80":2xcy8ltt said:
LOL, I've heard tales of big moose taken with 25-20 win's. And I've heard of moose and elk taken with head shots from 22-250's. I would have to concur with Antelope sniper on the statement that going after elk with a 22-250 is not smart. No BS, it's not a great idea.

Elk with a 7mm-08 is do-able, although using 150-160grn bullets strikes me as the way to go. Based on the fact that I can't run 2750 FPS and the fact that the plan isn't to use it at extended ranges the 90-150 FPS you'll lose won't change trajectory to a noticable level.

This moose was taken at 150 yds, 1 shot to the lungs with a 280 rem, fedral fusion ammo. 140 grn I believe. He made it 20-30 yds after my brother shot it. A 280 is around 120-140 FPS faster tahn the 7-08. Not a big difference. That having been said I'm the recoil junkie/Magnum freak of the clan tho and use bigger than needed guns myself just cuz......it's cool 8)

IMG_0930.jpg

Darn I get longwinded.

[/img]

Moose with a 280?

Shoot it again. Not dead enough! :!:

I would use the 140 grain AccuBond in your 7mm-08 for everything you are going to hunt with it. It's a great bullet and you don't need anything else.

Back