7mm 120 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip

beerbucksducks

Beginner
Dec 1, 2014
My wife filled her Washington deer tag this last weekend on a 2.5-3 year old 4x4 whitetail. The deer was bedded uphill and quartered to us at 80 yards. The bullet entered towards the front of the right shoulder, punched through the shoulder and one rib, destroyed the lungs, past between 2 ribs on the opposite side and came to rest under the hide. The buck made a 60-70 yard dash and died. No blood trail to be found, but we were able to follow his tracks to find him. The deer weighed 140 pounds with the hide on and gutted.
7mm-08 Rem
120 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip
45 gr of Varget
CCI BR2
RP case
Muzzle velocity: 3000
Retained weight: 69.5 grains
56dc621c5b8b77963abdc8748e5b8899.jpg

83708cb828faae528fcded71a84ac9e0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats! We use almost that same load! Gotta love the 120 gr. BT! It always get the job done!

Congratulations to your wife on her buck.
The 120 gr BT gave you textbook performance.

JD338

Thanks! The Ballistic Tip has served us well over the years. I’m hoping to run a 95 grain out of my .243 into a buck this weekend!

Yep I used the 165 ballistic tip for my elk this year from the very pedestrian 3006 and it worked great complete penetration with 3-in exit hole believe it or not some people use the 120 gr 7 mm for elk up here with very nice results

FOTIS":1r8uwrzm said:
Yep I used the 165 ballistic tip for my elk this year from the very pedestrian 3006 and it worked great complete penetration with 3-in exit hole believe it or not some people use the 120 gr 7 mm for elk up here with very nice results
I believe it! I wouldn’t hesitate to shoot an elk in the ribs with the 7-08 and a 120 Btip.

I love the ballistic tip in 120 gr. Has produced several deer for our family. Even produced a nice 9 pt whitetail for my nephew this past weekend.

My go to in my 7-oh-8

On top of varget

Shoot great
Kills good
No kick for anyone

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Excellent performance! Wondering if anyone can share results on coyote size critters with the 120 BT?

Excellent performance! Wondering if anyone can share results on coyote size critters with the 120 BT?
Im not sure what you know about these bullets and you already may know this but when the 120 gr BT was first designed it was used for silhouette shooting. These bullets had a thin jacket and were not knocking the targets over. The complaining began. Nosler redesigned these by making the jacket thicker. That solved the target issues but the one thing that Nosler hadn't counted on was this bullet would become a GREAT hunting bullets due to the thicker jacket. This bullet kills a whole lot bigger than most would expect.

As far as coyotes, it'll work just fine just like it will on most things shot. If you can find them, buy a few and try them out.

When this bullet/cartridge combination questions come up I always encourage folks for posts from "Bob in TX". He posted here occasionally and on the "Texas predator posse" forum. He used that combo extensively on lots of critters, as I recall w/ excellent results. CL

My wife filled her Washington deer tag this last weekend on a 2.5-3 year old 4x4 whitetail. The deer was bedded uphill and quartered to us at 80 yards. The bullet entered towards the front of the right shoulder, punched through the shoulder and one rib, destroyed the lungs, past between 2 ribs on the opposite side and came to rest under the hide. The buck made a 60-70 yard dash and died. No blood trail to be found, but we were able to follow his tracks to find him. The deer weighed 140 pounds with the hide on and gutted.
7mm-08 Rem
120 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip
45 gr of Varget
CCI BR2
RP case
Muzzle velocity: 3000
Retained weight: 69.5 grains
56dc621c5b8b77963abdc8748e5b8899.jpg

83708cb828faae528fcded71a84ac9e0.jpg

LOL I use almost the exact load in our 2- 7MM-08's
works great on white tails

I have two 243's and was thinking of rebarreling one and was tossing up 6.5 creedmore or 7mm-08. There is just so much to like about the 7-08 as a hunting round. Congrats to your wife.

Back