7mm 140 gr BT recovered for WT Deer

JD338

Range Officer
Staff member
Nov 4, 2004
Here is a 7mm 140 gr BT from a 280 Rem at 2950 fps that was recovered under the hide of a WT deer. Range was 150 yds.
280Rem140grBT.jpg

JD338

I've got quite a few 7mm 150 gr BT's , driven at 3100 fps, recovered from deer that look exactly like that.

I'll just throw this out there again. That bullet looks to have performed perfectly IMHO. I know that the current school of thought is retained weight and an exit wound. However, I tend to like the theroy that says each one of those smaller pieces has the potential to do some more damage as a seperate little missile. This is assuming that the largest portion of the bullet makes it to the boiler room. So this is not intended to be a discussion of bullets "blowing up". Thats a differnt theroy.... and problem IMHO. Nothing wrong with an exit wound, but nothing wrong with this either. CL

Agree.
The deer dropped in its tracks at the shot and I recovered the bullet under the hide of one very dead deer.
I'd say the bullet worked perfectly.

JD338

JD 338, that's about what was left of the two 115 gr Berger VLD's I recovered from mule deer after shooting them with my .25-06 Rem.

If the bullets get inside before fragmenting, they are usually very destructive!

Guy

Back