7mm 150 Ballistic tip

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
Has anyone actually used these on deer and other game animals at 7mm Rem mag velocities? What was performance like---especially up close. :shock:

Pop, I used them for a couple of years in 7mm RM. I didn't like their performance up close or if bone was encountered on the way in. If you like your bullet to not exit it may be your cup of tea.

If you want to use the 150 in a 7Mag, it will kill every deer you can hit in the proper place. I don't shoot deer in the shoulder unless it is on the exit, never aim to hit the shoulder. Shot placement is far more important. I have killed over 100 whitetails with a variety of BTs. If you think you will be shoulder shooting deer at close range, use a Partition. Cost is relative, but they will be the least expensive part of your hunt.Rick.

If you like big holes and good accuracy the BT is the bullet for you. Even out to 250 yds this bullet will blow fist sized holes in a deer/antelope.

Long

longwinters":3ps3y3mb said:
If you like big holes and good accuracy the BT is the bullet for you. Even out to 250 yds this bullet will blow fist sized holes in a deer/antelope.

Long

Yikes!

Like I said, my son's and my own experiences with the BT is that they are a great/accurate bullet, but out of a 7mm or 30-06 you are going to get BIG holes if you hit any bone at all.

Long

smallfries,

Can you give details?
What caliber were you shooting and what was the terminal performance on the deer? Did the bullet exit?

Thanks,

JD338

any one tied to use the 125gr BT on deer if so got a load recipe at the moment I am only shooting a 160 gr pt out of a Browing abolt medallion.It slam dunks the moose

I may be the oddball here, but i would not recommend this bullet/velocity combination. i've shot a couple with the 150 bt's and was less than impressed. i guess shot placement is the key, but if you catch a shoulder on entrance, my experience is that it has a good potential to turn out ugly. as far as accuracy, it is an absolute tack driver with 64 grns of imr 4831, but i'd stick with a Partition or AccuBond. in one instance, i had two exit holes for one shot through the ribs. sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings!

Two experiences with the 7RM/150gr BT pushed by 63grs 4831. First was an antelope broadside at 250yds through the ribs. Left a small oblong exit wound and schrapnel throughout the chest cavity including lead in my backstraps. Second was quatered toward me at 375 yds. Struck base of the neck hitting the clavicle and producing at least three exit wounds as if the animal were shot point blank with buck shot. Not the kind of performance I'm looking for.

In contrast, this year hit a whitetail through the shoulders at 160yds with a 160gr AB pushed by 78grs RL25 out of a 7STW to 3,200fps. Quarter-sized exit with the shoulder joint protruding. Yet, 90% of the meat was useable from the exit shoulder.

My conclusion: no use for the BT's in 7RM or STW since the AB's came out. Still load BT's in .308 though will likely switch to the newly introduced 165gr AB's.

jd

Some people cuss the BTs for lack of penetration and explosive results on bone. I have been using 150s in my 7 Rem and used to use 180s in my old 300 Win Mag and have never had what I would call a probem. Always killed the animal but sometimes lost quite a bit of meat on the less that ideal shot placement. They create a massive wound channel when they hit anything, lots of blood and in my experience, always a recovered animal, even with a less than a perfect shot.
I have been using the new ABs for the last two years in 160 grain in my new 7 RUM and have had very good results on elk, penetration is better and the wound channel and destruction are still very good. I have loaded some 140 ABs for my wife's 7 REM and am anticipating the same performance. Nosler's pointy bullets have been the only ones I use for a very long time. I push them as fast as they will go and have shot deer and elk from 20 feet to a tad over 500 yards without a failure.
If Nosler had not developed the new ABs I would still be using BTs with complete confidence, I only wish they would come out with a 150 AB to complete the 7mm lineup.
Dave

My favorite deer load in 30-06 is the 180-gr. Ballistic Tip:

Ballistic Tips (BT's) were designed by Nosler for violent expansion / explosion and medium penetration on light skin type animals like deer.

For most calibers shooting BT's, you're better off using heavier projectiles with bigger Sectional Density's (SD's) than you would normally use for a regularly constructed bullet.

Why?

1. Heavier bullets for caliber are better in a BT because they tone down the violent expansion a bit and still have enough weight leftover for a complete pass-through.

2. The shock-value with the heavier BT will still be more than lighter standard bullets and you get more energy on target.

3. Short range shots also suit the larger round with a higher SD versus standard light weight bullets with less mass.

4. Raking quartering-away shots need a heavier round for adequate penetration.

5. A larger BT'd bullet is more forgiving if you shoot into the shoulder.

Sorry I don't load for any 7mm, but I use 165g BT out of my 300 WSM. Killed three deer with three shots. Distances varied as short as less than 75 yards and the bullets all exited, about a quarter to half-dollar hole.

It was 1991 before I ventured out to Wyoming and was able to put the bead on, what I would call big deer. On my place in Md., we have plenty deer, but a really big buck will rarely go over 200 lbs. Most deer killed are closer to 100 lbs. Shooting that size deer in the shoulders with any caliber from .243Win on up, will most likely break both shoulders and the deer will not go anywhere. I respect other opinions, but for me, two things come ahead of worrying about meat loss. Those two things are: quick, clean kills and not taking the chance of losing the deer in heavy cover. Again, where I hunt in Md. the cover is still heavy, right after Thanksgiving, when we have our firearms season. If a wounded deer goes more then 100 yds, just before dark, you may lose all of the meat.
So, use what you want, but IMO, use a bullet in a cartridge that has the best chance of anchoring the deer, no matter what the angle. If I am presented with a Texas Heart Shot and the deer is not a trophy, he walks. But if he is showing me a good set of antlers, the hams be damned, he's going down, because I am going to use a cartridge capable of launching a pro-jo clean through him from the the rear end.
My father was among the last of the subsistance hunters in Md. He and the rest of his family picked up a firearm to put meat on the table, so getting the maximum amount of meat from a kill was important. However, he always did say, "shoot the deer when and where you see him!" That proved out to mean, if you spot a deer only showing you a rear end shot, "shoot him where you see him!" To always be able to do that successfully, you must have enough gun.

POP,

I have used 150 grain BT, and they do work. Out of my 7MM Rem Mag, I get well over 3200 FPS. I don't need that much speed for deer, but the load is so damn accurate that I don't want to screw with it! The longests shot I have ever made on a deer was with one of these bullets.

After I consume the supply of Ballistic Tips I now have, I am going to replace them with AccuBond bullets. I have been exposed to theses that .284 caliber is the most efficient of all in that class. I tend to agree. The 150 has SD superior to 165 .308 caliber bullets, and it's just a mere .005 shy of the venerable 180 grain .308 projectiles. In essence, it is a damn good deer/elk bullet. Therefore, with 150 grain Accubonds in a 7MM Rem Mag, one would be theoretically all set for all ungulate hunting in North America!

Happy New Year,

Tom

Tom1911 wrote: "Therefore, with 150 grain Accubonds in a 7MM Rem Mag, one would be theoretically all set for all ungulate hunting in North America! "

I have been pondering how some of the premium bullets have changed our thinking, concerning the weight of bullets needed for certain game, and the MV that we can obtain by going to lighter premium bullets and getting the same results for which we used to use bullets 25gr to 30gr heavier.
Are you convinced, that a 150gr bullet will cleanly, quickly kill a big bull elk, say one in excess of 1000 lbs. shot at 300yds?

roysclockgun,

In theory, I am sure a 150 grain AccuBond would perform as well as a 180 grain .308 AccuBond based upon similar sectional density. But if I were looking for just an elk bullet, I'd stay with 160 grains & above. The 150 grain AccuBond would be an excellent dual use bullet for mule deer and elk.

If I recall correctly, Jack O'Connor disliked the 175 CoreLokt bullet on elk because it was too stoutly constructed. He said the 150 grain 7MM Rem Mag bullet worked well on elk.

I think the 150 grain .284 projectile to be about the absolute best for Rocky Mountain mule deer. Leaving a 7MM Rem Mag at better than 3200 FPS, it is a mule deer bullet par excellence.

What is your preferred 7MM Rem Mag load?

Happy New Year,

Tom

Tom1911 wrote: "What is your preferred 7MM Rem Mag load? "

The 140gr AccuBond bullet was new to me last year and I wanted to work up a load for my single shot Browning B78 with 26" barrel, to use for mule deer and pronghorn in NE Wyoming this past season. I am sure that there are better loads. I tried several propellents and found that MagPro and IMR7828 produced the highest MV, while still maintaining very good groups. 70gr of either MagPro or IMR7828 worked well, but I settled on IMR7828 because using that propellent filled the case to a higher degree. I used new Remington brass, Federal 215 Mag primers and was getting chrony readings at 10' from the muzzle, reading 3200 to 3284. With my old eyes, I was grouping inside 2" at 200 yds and tested on a cut over corn field out to 450 yds. The muley that I stalked, glassed in the range finder at 408 yds. I would not have taken the shot without having the solid rest that I did, atop a flat rock. The shot took him a little low in the heart lung area. He went over the ridge line. I worried over the shot while making my way up the steep canyon wall in snow. He was lying just out of what had been my line of sight when I shot. He had made it a little over 75 yds before going down. He raised his head when I got 80 yds from his position, so I put the coup de grace in his neck. I used the same load on pronghorn at 275 yds. The pronghorn staggered and fell after taking a round to the lungs. I asked the question in my last post, because I feel that I can improve my chances with either a 150gr bullet or 160gr and use either when I again go after elk. I have booked a trophy mule deer hunt in Montana for next Thanksgiving week. I am convinced that the load I am using will work well, but I may try a few others, while I have time to do so.
I have glaucoma and now, cataracts coming on. The vision in my right eye is very hazy. Of course, the right one is my shooting eye. The VA is scheduling surgery on the eye in the Spring, so I am praying that I will again have a shooting eye by next November. Getting old is not for sissies!

royscloackgun,

You seem like quite a guy. I pray you're able to recover full vision. I will be 49 next August, and my eyes have been steadily regressing. I have an appointment with my ophthalmologist in a couple months. I am gonna see when it might be a good time for him to cut my eyes.

I think the 140 grain bullets for the 7MM Rem Mag to be excellent, expecially for deer. I am sure they are on par with the venerable and deadly 130 grain .270 Win bullets.

I inventoried loaded rounds last night, and I have close too 100 of 160 grain Partitions. These are loaded in W-W cases with 67 grains of H-4831 and Fed mag primers. This load chronos at better that 3100 FPS. I also have close to 100 Rem factory loads of 150 grain PSPCL. These chrono at around 3200 FPS out of my rifle. Moreover, I have a couple boxes of 150 grain BT that are loaded with 63 grains of H-4350. I guess that the thought I am trying to convey is that I might not have a pressing need to load for my 7MM Rem Mag. But should I do, I'll probably load all with 150 grain Accubonds; should I need a bigger bullet I'll just load up maybe 50 175 grain Accubonds. This should last me the rest of my hunting life.

roy, I wish you continued success in the field. I know your Browning 7MM Rem Mag will never let you down. My opinion is that the 7MM Rem Mag is probably the closest thing to the perfect cartridge for all North American hunting as exists.

Happy New Year,

Tom

Back